Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617

Thread: The Harrison Racing Outboards - Legendary Birmingham Metal Products Alky Outboards

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Nitromethane use and engine life.

Some emailers ask if these Harrison engines used nitromethane to any great degree and if it was a factor where records were attempted or set? The answer is from me that I don't have a clue. If anyone does, please feel free to fill us all in.

The Harrison's cousin the Anzani had a cast iron block that could take severe nitromethane loads to a point but the Harrison had better rods and crankshaft technology in an aluminum block with ferrous sleeves which in the 350s even had 4 more head bolts. There must be quite a few stories out there on what was done and the results they obtained?
    Last edited by John (Taylor) Gabrowski; 10-24-2008 at 10:06 AM. Reason: additions

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Another Step Closer - Carbs configured.

Seeing a 2 carb Harrison-Anzani B Alky slowly taking shape again is showing one variation in the evolution from British Anzani to a total Harrison some time in the future past the middle 1960s.

The only thing now not Harrison (HRP) left on the powerhead is the Anzani crankcase. Everything else both inside and outside other than the crankcase is now Harrison.

Enjoy the carb configuration pictures. These Tillotson HR and HL carbs are Alky conversions and are self pumping as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by John (Taylor) Gabrowski; 11-09-2008 at 07:01 PM. Reason: editing

Post Thanks / Like

Unlike Carter N, Tillotson AJ and KA carbs there is no "conversion" on a Tillotson H from gas to alcohol. You simply adjust the needles for best mixture
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default These Tillotoson H type pumper carbs are conversions.

These Tillotson HR and HL carbs in the picture are Alky conversions. The high and low speed jet pipes are one and one half times the size of the originals with larger high and low speed needles to control as well. Tillotson built such powerful fuel pumps on these carbs no modifications are required to increase the pressure or flow as they can do that job of delivering sufficient Alky already.

You can buy these Alky conversion Tittlotson HDs, HRs and HLs on Ebay quite reasonable these days. It seems karting and Briggs & Straton based small drag racing engine development saw to that.

Post Thanks / Like

Unlike Carter N, Tillotson AJ and KA carbs there is no "conversion" on a Tillotson H from gas to alcohol. You simply adjust the needles for best mixture.

There is nothing that can be enlarged or converted ... they come from the factory as you see them.

Show pictures of the 2 different sized "jet pipes" or admit you are spewing BS
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a place or(the place)for alky tilly conversion they did a few for me when I was kart racing
    http://www.eccarburetors.com/

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Thank you Sir Lee!

Sam: I don't have to disassemble anything to prove anything, the stuff came from Kart converters that are frequently auctioned off on Ebay. You can buy your own and compare them for yourself and that is no BS!

Thanks Lee, I know there are more around than just me that know that difference. Maybe Sam should ask Ron Anderson and Jim Hallum too, they are the ones who started to install them on multicarb Anzanis and Harrisons.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Do some changes, add a velocity stack, check out some more carbs.

After using various adapters to try out what there is in terms of Tillotson carbs some extra Alky conversion "HR" Walboro (self pumping) Alky carbs previously used on snowmobiles and with some of their aftermarket parts arrived to make things more interesting yet. I have no experience with these old Walboro butterfly carbs but the first experience is that they are twice as heavy as their equivilent in an HR Tillotson. One other feature is that a Walboro "HR" barrel spec'd carbs also comes in a version to fit the larger mount "HD" barrel size applications. Great for reducing power for a larger displacement engine effectively using the carb as a restrictor that is fully high and low speed jet adjustable in a reduced power mode of the 2 stroke engine being controlled.

I wonder if these Walboros ever got into outboard racing?

Enjoy the picts.

Post Thanks / Like

This seems as good of a place to put this photo as anywhere. Millie Harrison in S-70, Kay Harrison in S-80. The year: 1955.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Excellent Tim!

This is really how it all started that then too. Very appropriate picture placement indeed. Can you steer him over to the keyboard somehow and of course more pictures??

Thread Information