Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: The Harrison Racing Outboards - Legendary Birmingham Metal Products Alky Outboards

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Konig Rotary Barrel Carb? on the Harrison HRP Class A and B Alkys?

From the available pictures and sample of the main carb I have here that says nothing on it as to manufacture I am assuming that the rotary barrel carb on Harrison A and B Alkys were Konig carbs and made by whom, konig or some other supplier? Anyone?

Are these smaller rotary barrel carbs still available amongst Konig or other motor users?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Anzani & Harrison

Very interesting reading & pictures John!!

Post Thanks / Like

As far as adapting ignitions from sources outside of racing, I believe Harrison did that for their later engines. I have a B Anzani block and head bolted to a Harrison front-end. The ignition is a big aluminum flywheel magneto that has evidence of cooling fins that were milled off. The fact that it is aluminum would lead me to fabricate a steel scatter-shield to surround it, if I were ever to run the thing. I believe this was a Harrison ignition at some point, but maybe someone else will know.

I remember Hallum and Anderson were looking at a couple of sizes of Pioneer chainsaw flywheel mags at one point. I think they also were made of aluminum, and must have had fins. Pioneer was an OMC company, and Hallum was a mechanic at an OMC dealership, and had built a racing chainsaw or two. I don't know if they got around to trying one of those ignitions before going to the Merc electronic ignition.

Didn't Elmer Grade produce the 4-cyl. Konig ignition of choice, in the mid-'70s?

Team MSR
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pioneer Igniton

John Schubert was with Lawn Boy, also an OMC company. He was the connection for Pioneer igniton parts. Pete Helsten had it on all sorts of motors. 125's, 250's and C-Service. Nick Birbarie showed me how to set them up. Super simple and bullet proof. I ran them on my A konig in 1983. Raced in 25 races, won 22 of them and finished 2nd twice and 3rd once.

One of my friends races pulling tractors. He is building a Honda CR 500 based twin cylinder engine, twin engine tractor for next season. We are putting the chain saw igniton on to save weight over the MSD system that he is using now.

When Tom Small got hurt, Elmer reacted much faster than Deiter and made up the scatter shield that latter came stock on all 4 cylinder Konigs.

Michael D-1

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Roger Wendt's Class B Alky has Phelon / Repco Ignition

Who ever (I assume Ron Anderson had something to do with it) prepared Roger Wendt's winning Class B Anzani / Harrison / Merc / Koing hybrid Alky they installed a Phelon flywheel magneto system with cast aluminum and magnetted flywheel with under flywheel points, condensers, ignition coils and this all has a cast surround like scattershield that surrounds the flywheel. The rope plate marque has the words Harrison Racing cast on it. It uses the late model next generation Harrison heavy duty crankshaft with Konig rods machined fit into the Anzani crankcase. It's cast iron block in ways mimics the Harrison aluminum block for exhaust port transition to pipe porting and tunneling but this Anzani block that Wendt used had the biggest carb opening (44 millimeters), intake transfer and "T" type exhaust ports I have seen on any Anzani block most of which I refer to are the ones that are here now.

Looking at the Wendt Anzani loop engine block in terms of development and then Bill Tenney's late model Anzani version of a 6 intake transfer port loop block when it comes to combined port areas for loop scavenging made for some serious breathing and exhaust capabilities between the two. Very impressive. It would be interesting what those would develop horsepower wise if they could have got to the stage where some real good expansion chambers could have been hooked up to the both of them.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Key components of the Harrison A & B Alkys as mated to Anzani core parts

The following pictures are the fine Harrison design engineered components cast by Lodite for HRP and finished machined by Birmingham Metal Products aka Harrison Racing Products (HRP) engines. Key to these products pictured are that they were meant to be added to existing British Anzani racing engine core parts stocks to make complete racing engines for North American Alky A or B class from the remaining stock of Anzani parts left over from when production had ceased overseas at Coventry, U.K.

Featured here are the engine A and B Alky blocks of aluminum with ferrous dry liners and their peripheral parts to complete them including pistons that are then mated to existing Anzani crankcases, connecting rods, rotary valved crankshafts, ignitions, flywheels, towers, clamps, gearcases etc. to make a working Alky A or B engine. Everything was so closely matched in these early models that a racer could use the Anzani casted pistons in the Harrison block or could use the newer Lodite HRP cast pistons as well. There were many British Anzani engines already using Lodite cast HRP pistons and HRP exhaust components like aluminum cast HRP buttressed type aluminum exhaust elbos and HRP aluminum megaphone stacks when Harrisons started to appear as an aftermarket parts add on and then later as a distinct Harrison engine of its own.

That gives huge testament to the Harrison builders in how versatile they were and how versatile these engines really were and they were very fast in their day laying claim to strings of falling records in their wakes racing with or against the British Anzanis. For a time back then in the mid 1960s they were the only engines in A and B Class Alky that made the difference, the engines to beat. Quincy/Merc padded block Alky deflectors would have to modernize to compete. Konig Deflectors were in no better competitive position than the Quincy/
    Enjoy the pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images           

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Seconf Batch Harrison aftermarket parts for Anzani core engines

Second batch of pictures. Enjoy!

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Third bach of Harrison aftermarket parts for Anzani core engines

Third Batch of Pictures. Enjoy!

Some HRP aluminum stacks to be added soon.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Harrison Intake Transfer Port Closeups

The following 2 pictures are closeups of the Harrison Intake to Cylinder Transfer Ports. The port work is remarkable in many respects as it seems hard to determine where the machining aspect of it started or ended with the hand finishing also involved.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Harrison made dual purpose engine parts!

Pictured here is Harrison's answer to covering / tunneling the intake to cylinder transfer ports on a B Alky engine block and on the other side the casting it was developed / made to hold 2 separate ignition coils for a "Motoplat" type self engergized ignition or similarly for a battery powered point/condenser type ignition system linked/initiated at the crankshaft.

Enjoy the picture.

Thread Information