Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fastest mercury

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default fastest mercury

hi
    what is the fastest/most hp outboard mercury ever made?

Composite Specialties

Default Super Verado

Would it be this one:

350-hp Super Verado
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

i think it must of ben evenrude v 8 with Wart driving it 180 miles a hour one way but not a merc sorry guys
    David Bryan

Post Thanks / Like

That's the biggest Merc, but far from the fastest.

I think the fastest Merc was driven by Jim Merten about 45 mph slower than Wartinger, and it was definitely not a Verado. Has anyone taken a Verado over 100 yet?
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default He asked about a MERC

The poster who started this thread asked specifically about the fastest/most powerful MERC, not any other type or manufacturer.

Back in the 80's Land and Sea had two V-6 Merc motors at a Kilo run in Moorehaven, Fl. on I believe Allison type bass boats. I think I remember one ran in the high 120's or maybe even in the 130's thru the kilo. One was turbocharged and the other naturally aspirated with 6 expansion chambers. Best I remember they had no luck with the turbo motor, although I could very well be mistaken about which one they did have success with. They were both V-6's, of what displacement I have no idea.

It would be interesting to know if Land and Sea ever dyno tested these motors and if so what HP they were capable of. L&S also made dyno's so you have to think if they developed these engines, they probably dyno tested them also. I never heard any HP figures and I did talk with the tech that was with the engines there. I was interested in the turbo motor especially as I had several turbo charged cars in that time frame and was wanting to know how much if any additional fuel they were having to put into the motor at the higher boost pressure they were running them at, and how it was being done, because I think the motors were fuel injected also and that was something new for outboards at that time. I never got any kind of answer, in fact the guy looked at me like I might be nuts or something, by expecting you might need to put additional fuel in an engine running at higher boost, RPM, etc., than a naturally aspirated engine. I never figured out or found out if he was just playing dumb, or really didn't know that might be something to consider when modifying a high performance two stroke in that manner. I would suspect the former, as company's like that could not afford to many dense people and costs they might cause, if that is what he really was.

ADDED LATER IN THE EVENING:

After thinking about this kilo event for awhile, all these many years later, I am going to back up a little on my comments about the engines that L&S had at Moorehaven being the ones to run in the 120/130 MPH range on the Allison or Allison look-a-like bass boat. The bass boat with the V-6 Merc I am thinking about did set a record or two as far as kilo speed, and in the speed range I mentioned, but I am not absolutely sure after all this time has passed whether the rig that ran that speed was the SAME one or ones that Land and Sea had there that year. That rig may have been owned by someone else. I do remember as previously stated they (L&S) were having some problems getting the turbo motor to run like they felt it was capable of. We were there attempting to break the RB Hydro record, which we did, and a lot of my time was involved with that. I looked at their web site since my original post and do not see anything regards that effort by them approximately 25 years ago, but if anyone is further interested, you could probably contact them for more information about these engines and their power. If they were the ones who did either set or break an existing record, I am sure they would be proud enough of that effort to still be willing to publicize it. That speed was really quick on a V bottom bass type boat in that time frame.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

From the Dick O'Dea website.

George Andrews Jr. – October 1983 Welland, Ont. Canadian Boating Federation Unlimited Outboard record of 132.029 mph, fastest outboard in Canada. Originally this motor was a stock Mercury 200 hp. April 1984. APBA and U.I.M. OZ World Kilo record of 157.425 mph, world’s fastest outboard, with the same boat and engine that was used to set the Canadian record.

Post Thanks / Like

John is correct, that was the fastest Merc
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default O'Dea web site

Quote Originally Posted by John Howe View Post
    From the Dick O'Dea website.

George Andrews Jr. – October 1983 Welland, Ont. Canadian Boating Federation Unlimited Outboard record of 132.029 mph, fastest outboard in Canada. Originally this motor was a stock Mercury 200 hp. April 1984. APBA and U.I.M. OZ World Kilo record of 157.425 mph, world’s fastest outboard, with the same boat and engine that was used to set the Canadian record.
    John,

What is the address of Dick's web site?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Morning' John:

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

UIM records
    CIRCUIT FORMULA 1 - 2.5 Lit.
    3588 Speed G. Cappellini ITA 2005 DAC MERCURY 159,234 MPH 256,256 KMH

Thread Information