Jeff Connant posted in Facebook item, that a new 250cc record of 112MPH was set. It took my breath away. In 1940 A's were running about 37-39 MPH. After the War (the big one) in about '47 or '48, a 50 MPH record was set. By '49, I was running about 50 in my A Hydro, and winning races.

I decided at about age 15 that a good speed for an A was the calendar year. In about '52, a 53 MPH record was set. In about '54, Leeky Jack (Jack Leek) set a 61 MPH record. He was a few years ahead of schedule.

I've lost track of the A-250 speed vs. calendar year until I saw this one. 112 in '11.

What's happened?

•In about '52 the displacement was raised from 14 to 15 ci.

•Quicksilver gear cases came into being.

•Loopers entered the scene.

•Megaphone horns, then bounce pipes (the megaphones helped the cross-flows but then they really helped the loopers).

•Boats were being built with lower frontal areas, and lower weights (like none).

•Fuels were becoming more exotic.

•Propellers made some terrific advancements

•And I don’t know what the hell else has happened, but like I always say, “If you’re not pushing the state-of-the-art, you aren’t really racing.“

My congratulations go to the guy who set the new record a few years ahead of my schedule.