Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Katrina: ROLL CALL

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hurricane Katrina: ROLL CALL

The devastation down south is just unimaginable.

I was just thinking about all the boat racers I know who are from the Louisiana/Mississippi Gulf coast area, and really have been worrying that they are all ok. So I thought maybe we could do a roll call here - seeing if these folks have "checked in" with others letting them know they are fine.

Mike Tilton of Luling, LA: Safe & currently in Kankakee at the OPC Nationals. Status of building they own unknown & probably underwater. Won't be able to return home for weeks.

Here are just some of the other people I've been really concerned about. If anyone knows the status of these members of our boating family, please let us know that they are OK:

Byron Harris of French Settlement, LA: CHECKED IN - AT HOME BUT SAFE
    Jay Price of New Orleans, LA:
    Tony Terry of Ocean Springs, MS:
    Phillip Bond (Crown Leisure Marine) of D'Iberville/St. Martin, MS:SAFE, but business suffered much damage
    Wally Ross (Ross Propellers) of Biloxi, MS:
    Max Toler of Baton Rouge, LA:
    Milton Balser of Kenner, LA:

John Shewbrooks reports the following inboard racers escape unharmed:
    Don Mashburn, Randy English, George English, Doug Beynon, Mike Allen.

Doug Beynon explains that “The Lafayette group made it through the storm unscathed, and feel like the luckiest people on earth compared to our neighbors to the east. This was a bad one - It will be years before life returns to any semblance of normal there; many small coastal towns literally do not exist anymore. I just heard from Ralph Baker, and he was on duty with the Red Cross in Pensacola but is now in Baton Rouge helping set up the Relief headquarters. He said they had a meeting this morning, and the gist of it was that they better get used to the fact that the New Orleans area will be evacuated for months. Most of Nicky Pellerin’s family rode the storm out here in Lafayette.” I hear that the Allen family (Judy, Billy, Mike, etc.) are safe in a campground."

God be with you all.
    Last edited by Miss BK; 09-04-2005 at 08:48 AM.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Great thread

I have been wondering about some friends also and was going to put up a post, but you have really come up with a good idea with this roll call Val.

Bruce Nicholson-Slidell and Glen Hopkins-Covington live right in the middle of the storm path. Don't know if they left before or rode it out.

Reles and Ricky LeBlanc from DelCambre were further west and are OK. Joe Rome talked to Reles a couple of days ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Update from the Inboard racing group:

From Joey Nolan:

I spoke with Joe Hartdegen last night. Many of you remember Joe as a long
    time racer from the N.O. area. Joe was residing in St. Bernard which took the big hit. Joe and his wife Cathy made it out and are now in Texas with his sister. He has a daughter safe in Baton Rouge and his son and son-in-law who are police officers in St. Bernard are safe also, although they are
    stranded in St. Bernard as they stayed to do their duties as public servants.
    Unfortunately Joe and Cathy have not been able to account for their 22 year old daughter who did not evacuate. We are all staying positive that this is only due to the fact that there is no communication whatsoever in that area. I ask that you all keep Joe, Cathy and their family in your thoughts and prayers that they will hear from her soon. Preliminary reports Joe received is that they lost everything.
    Please keep all down here in Louisiana in your prayers.
    God bless to all,
    Joey

Added:

John Ballero: Safe in Houston but more than likely lost his home.

Joe Hartdegen (E-78 Stiletto and former S boat Wildfire) is safe in
    Texas with his wife Cathy. They lived in St. Bernard which took the
    big hit. I spoke with Joe last night and we are certain Joe has
    lost everything. There is no possible way anything he had is left.
    The biggest concern right now is he has been unable to make contact
    with one of his daughters who stayed behind. We are staying
    positive she is alright and that it is simply the fact that
    communication is zero down there. As soon as Joe hears from her he
    is going to call me and I will forward the news. His spirit remains
    high and he asked me to thank all who have asked about his family.

Nicky Pellerin and family are all safe.

Please keep Joe and his family along with all others down here in your prayers.

I am in law enforcement here in Baton Rouge and have been providing security at one of the shelters. For those of you who have never seen the
    sight of hundreds of people left with only the dirty clothes on their backs, it's a sight I hope you never have to see. We're getting clothing and food for them but it's hard to look at the children realizing what is ahead for them.
    Joey Nolan Y-707 Caribe

Post Thanks / Like

I am also learning that quite a number of people from the various region boat racing rescue teams are also members of FEMA who have been activated and sent to the Gulf region.

This is from Brian Small:

Mark Proulx from Manchester NH: a key member of Reg 3 rescue team, was activated immediately and sent south. He is with an emergency medical services unit which also handles search and rescue.

Tam and Karen Beavers with Box 21 Rescue in Region 6 are also a part of
    FEMA and they were dispatched and left the race in Celina on Saturday
    night.

Keep them in your prayers as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great News!

UPDATE:
    I just got the following message from Byron Harris in French Settlement, LA:

Checked in: BYRON BIGFOOT HARRIS

VAL WE JUST GOT POWER 9/1/05
    YOU DON T KNOW HOW GOOD THAT IS.
    WE DIDN T GET ANY DAMAGE TO HOUSE
    BUT LOST A FEW TREES AND SHEDS COULD
    HAVE BEEN WORST THANKS FOR CHECKING
    ON US GOD BLESS
    BIGFOOT

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Kneeldown Folks

I hear most of the kneel downers are accounted for. HR had a thread and most of the ones folks were concerned about being down there have checked in. To many to list.

Post Thanks / Like

UPDATE from Inboard discussion list:

Many of you know Ralph Baker as a referee, turn judge, pit manager, and hard
    working crew member. Some of you may know that he has been working for the Red Cross. We heard from him last night and he is stationed with them west of Baton Rouge. He started out the week doing rescue work and is now in charge of training shelter volunteers. It sounds like he will be doing this
    for quite some time.

He wanted to let everyone know that being there in the thick of it, what you
    see on the news does not give a clear picture of the environment. He said
    that for every act of looting there are 1,000 acts of kindness by the people
    there. Residents who still have something left are bringing what food they
    can to the shelters and are opening up their houses to strangers. And the
    volunteers and people there are just amazing.

Please keep Ralph, and everyone else that has lost so much in your thoughts
    and prayers....they need them very much.

Elizabeth Wolfe

Post Thanks / Like

Our Snowbird C130 aircraft from the Stratton ANG in Schenectady shed their skis and left for New Orleans today to deliver supplies and personnel.

Post Thanks / Like

Phil Bond owns Crown Leisure Marine on D'Iberville Blvd. in Biloxi - he is a long time boat racer, both outboard circle racing and drag racing, including the Havasu World Championships. His son Chris has been drag racing for the past 10 years or so. They have been long time Allison dealers. Their boat shop is located very close to where you see all that terrific damage on TV.

But here is the news I've been waiting to hear; They are ok!!!!
    This was found on another board;

September 2, 2005
    phillip and chris bond are okay!!!!! evolution marine brought them supplies today. they have a lot of damage but they are okay.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting that David.

I know there are friends who live in Louisiana from the drag racing side, but I'm not sure exactly where. I know Tommy Hughes is down there somewhere too. The Robin's of Henderson (Robin's Seafood) is much further west of NO, so I think they should be ok. People in Baton Rouge and Lafayette seem to have made it through pretty well too. But I keep thinking about folks I know that are somewhere over there - just not exactly sure where.

The storm didn't seem to do massive wind damage in New Orleans, but the levees breaking is what caused the catastrophe we see. The most stucture damage from Katrina hit in the Ocean Springs/Gulfport/Biloxi area. I sure hope those folks are all getting attention too.

Thread Information