Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: It seems to me that...Races Are Too Long

Post Thanks / Like

True, if there is silence, you will never capture the crowd's attention. Same with down time. That's a killer. A good race director will never allow breaks in the action. People won't come back if they feel they didn't get their money's worth.

That's why you need a good PA at events where there isn't any noise. But the engine noise is not the only thing that will capture fans. A good announcer(s) will negate the loss of that noise. A team of announcers is even better.

I would not have believed the crowds that came to that air show Sunday. It took us two hours to get to our home only a few miles away because the parking lot was jam-packed with people. The traffic toward town was at a crawl for over an hour.

There was also a concert and fireworks that evening, but these crowds came 6 hours prior -- just to see the air show.

We spent the entire time analyzing WHY so many tens of thousands of people came to see this event - certainly not the noise. We have PRO races much louder than this 15 miles north that only attract a few hundred. There is also a stock car Speedway 5 miles away but they don't pack near a crowd like this did.

We went to the New Paris Speedway ONCE and will never go back. Nice asphalt track, BUT the place was filthy, the crowd screaming profanities, every other person was smoking a stinky cigarette - made us gag, and the people in the food booths looked greasy and grubby. It was disgusting.....NOT COOL at all. And our family LOVES racing! I was extremely disappointed, especially after the great press and media attention this place gets in our local paper - you'd think it would be fabulous! ($12 bucks a head at the gate). Never again.

So we analyzed all these events, and the two main things that stood out at the air show:

1. A good announcer keeping everyone informed - Constant action - NO LAG TIME, and a few elements of surprise (such as hoisting a car off the ground with a CG helicopter, and then dropping it. Then having a bomb fall on the car for being parked too close to the runway when the owner failed to move it - it was a actually a skit but the kids didn't know that). The "bomb" was actually some pyrotecnics on the ground that blew up right after the aircraft flew over the car. It was a HUGE hit with the fans. It really looked like the jet dropped a bomb on it.

2. The entire grounds were SPIC AND SPAN. Clean and tidy - no drunks, no smoking - and a place you'd want to bring your kids. Ample seating for all to get a good view. They also held a Mustang car show behind the air show viewing area at the same time - for those who don't like continally sitting from 1pm to 10pm. 30-40 giant VIP tents were set up at the other end. Clearly, the comfort of the spectators was high on the list of priorities. The place was loaded with over 200 volunteers (Mostly from the county 4-H clubs and churches) Even the parking area had 20-30 volunteers helping to control the traffic. It was just an all-around good time.

None of us are even a fan of airplanes or flying. But this wasn't all about airplanes -- it was well-thought out entertainment, and it was great. I'll take my family back next year, for sure. Boat racing could definitely pick up on a few tips from this event, as it would work well in that genre as well.

Our town only has 11,000 people, but 28,000 came to the show.
    Here's what our local paper had to say:

“This is wonderful for the people,” said Walter Kay, Bristol, attending the air show for his third time. He stressed the program was a great family event.
    “It’s my first time here. I like this. It has been years since I have seen an air show,” said Jon Caldwell, who moved to the Kay home from Utah this week. He is married to Walter’s granddaughter, he said, and is self-employed in the computer business.
    “It’s interesting. I have never been here before,” said Stan Schrock. He said he has spent time at Fresno, Calif., where there are shows, war re-enactments and reunions, so he has seen them before.
    But this day he spent with his 3-year-old grandson Mason, whose father is a Goshen firefighter and worked Saturday.
    “It’s a great thing for a grandfather and grandson to do together,” Schrock said.
    “We’re having fun,” said Mearl Martin, Goshen, who attended with his family of four. “It’s a great show.”
    He said it is the fourth show his family has attended and they planned to stay for the fireworks. “It’s definitely a fun show.”
    “It is a great experience,” said Boyd Smith, Goshen, at the show Saturday. He pointed out the “quality aircraft” and military machines both on the ground and in the show. He explained his interest is also sparked by the fact that he is working on his pilot’s license.
    “Wow,” was the one-word comment from Jim Miller, Goshen, a military veteran and air show fan, as he raced to meet his brother, Skip, who held space for their folding chairs.
    Amber Garhart, Bristol, said she and her family have been to the show three or four times. “We love it. We come here every year,” she said, and her daughters wanted to stay for the fireworks.
    Arlin Slabach, Goshen, had been to the show before and said he has seen the aircraft before. But he was at the Goshen program to see the crowd and the fireworks.
    Norman Otto, Shipshewana, said, “I like it a lot. It is pretty good.”
    Sharkey pointed out Saturday that the crowd size may mean the Freedom Fest may be one of the largest one-day events in the state of Indiana. The board of directors of the non-profit organizations may meet again soon to discuss whether there will be another show in 2006.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default It Seems To Me That,

HERE IN RERION 12 WE HAVE HARD WORKING PEOPLE WHO PUT ON GOOD SHOWS I.E. PARKER AND LONG BEACH RACES. BUT, WITH THAT SAID THEY DO IT WITH THE SAME PEOPLE RACE AFTER RACE. NEW VOLUNTEERS ( INCLUDING MYSELF) ARE HARD TO FIND. I AGREE WITH MANY OF THE COMMENTS ON THIS THREAD BUT REALLY BELIEVE WITHOUT RACE VOLUNTEERSTHE SPORT WILL CONTINUE TO DECINE. AS AN OWNER IWAS INVOLVED IN SPORT C AND SST 45 DURING LATE 80,s THRU 1999 AND SAW THE SPORT DECLINE WHEN COSTS TO RACE AND COSTS TO PUT ON RACES INCREASED RAPIDLY DURING MID 90,s. ONE OF THE WAYS TO SAVE THIS SPORT IS GET PEOPLE LIKE ME WHO HAVE BEEN ON THE BEACH FOR A WHILE BACK INTO THE GAME AS VOLUNTEERS WILLNG TO HELP TO CUT RACE COSTS AND ALSO WORK AT BUILDING SPECTATOR SUPPORT. BILL REITER, SR.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to add one last thing about sponsors.....

A sponsorship can be many things. When a team tries to sell a sponsorship that consists of only showing up at the races, they are doomed to get a negative response. If you have TV or magazine coverage, that may entice them a little, but if you are only soliciting the impact it will have on the fans at the races -- forget it.

Back when I raced (mid to late 1980's), I knew any sponsor I approached would not get excited about the size of crowds at the boat races. So I didn't even try to sell him a "Racing Package".

I was very successful at selling a "promotional" package instead. I went after my home town businesses, and would paint the sponsors name on the boat -- but where my sponsor's got thier money's worth was in the Off-season - at our own LOCAL events.

One of my sponsors was a body shop in Kingman AZ. So, obviously, he was not interested in the Kankakee, IL OPC Nationals or the Bakersfield Halloween regatta. He and I both knew he was not likely to get customers from that exposure - not even at the Havasu Classic 50 miles away.

The way he got exposure was when I put my boat in the local Kingman parade so everyone saw "D AND D AUTO BODY" on the side. I also would park my boat where ever he needed me to park it to get attention. At conventions, art shows in the park, or the local business fair, my unique race boat was there catching attention.

After each race (and sometimes before), I pulled my boat into the Kingman Miner Newspaper parking lot and knocked on the door asking for the sports editor. I was never turned down and my boat with the "D & D AUTO BODY" ad on the side was in the local paper dozens of times. That alone is worth $100s of dollars for my sponsors.

D & D paid most of my entry fees, - even to Bakersfield - and sometimes paid travel expenses too. Another company took care of my repairs and minor parts. It all depended on how much off-season time I was willing to donate for advertising in their home towns.

One thing is for sure - they could not have cared less about exposure they got at the races.

Even NASCAR teams have to add in a lot of extra perks to get the big bucks. For instance, during the off-season, Rick Hendrick takes his sponsors and their clients for race car rides at Nascar tracks as well as all sorts of other special treatments.

So that's just an idea; When I hear people say they can't get sponsorships, I know they are just approaching the businesses from the wrong angle.

Let your imagination run wild. You'll be amazed at what you can come up with!
    Last edited by Miss BK; 07-04-2005 at 01:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's one example of the negative effect not having good public address system, and/or not having an announcer who is successful at involving the fans who come to watch the boat race. This "guide" was in the Sarasota Tribune. This year, however, the fans were able to listen to an AM radio broadcast, so hopefully they weren't shrugging their shoulders this time...

Boat racing for the clueless

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pb...TURES/50701011

By STEVE ECHEVERRIA JR.
    After two decades, the folks involved with the Suncoast Offshore Grand Prix Festival know everything about the sport — the boats, the race, the history.
    But what about the rest of us......

....All most of us want to know is what’s happening on the course during the race, which begins at 11 a.m. Sunday between New Pass and Big Pass. (The awards ceremony is at 6 p.m. at the Sarasota Fairgrounds.)

Proceeds from the festival benefit the Florida Center for Child and Family Development.

And since there aren’t resources for race novices or average Joes, we decided to put this primer together.

So the next time someone asks which class a 50-foot catamaran with more than a 1,000 horsepower belongs in, you can confidently state, “Superboat Unlimited, of course.”

It's better than shrugging your shoulders.
    Last edited by Miss BK; 07-04-2005 at 01:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

You guys won't like this but APBA is the biggest problem that boat racing has today. Pretty much like this country, the government is the problem anymore. Neither APBA or thw US Government is doing it's job, but keeps wanting us to pay even more government for less and less results. Unfortunately, in both case they have changed things to the point where the little guy has no way left to get some control without complete rebellion. Also unfortunately most Americans believe the rebelling against those in power is wrong. It isn't and it needs to be done and the sooner the better.
    Bear 45/70

Old age and treachery will out do youth and enthusiasm everytime!

You must first be young and stupid to be old and wise

Pain is temporary(no really), Bones heal,
    Chicks dig scars, Glory is forever!

Old age is not for sissies!

The difference between a wise man and a fool, is the wise man learns from the mistakes of others!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Unity...

Unity, a single word that can define the resurgance of our HOBBY !!!!
    my friend Ron has accurately pointed out that our sport of boat racing is, in fact
    a" HOBBY" and he is right -on-the-money. A man who has recieved a lifetime
    appointment to the APBA board of directors,( Charlie Strang) mentioned to me
    that we are witnessing a result of the " Expert Syndrome" , that is , "We have
    made our sport so specialized that only a few dedicated diehards are willing to
    continue to participate at this level..." that sounds accurate!!!
    Please bear with me now as it is the 4th of July and I put in 9 hours at the marina...then got deep in Crown Royal ....
    I suggest that the sooner we accept our place in todays world of recreational
    activities, the better off we'll be. A well known OPC driver recently told me
    "we try to mirror NASCAR, but NONE of us have NASCAR money!!!"

to be continued......

Post Thanks / Like

It does not matter if we like something here, we are placing input to try and fix something of todays problems.All of anything smeone has to say on this forum is welcome as far as i am concerned. So say what you feel and somehow we will all gather it up and make something from all of this.

Post Thanks / Like

What did Charlie Strang say about Syndrome?????????

Post Thanks / Like

The difference is - the people running the government get paychecks.

I used to think every time something went wrong, it was all "APBA's" fault too. Til I realized who controls APBA - the members do. So if it's "APBAs" fault, that means it's the racers fault. Every single person on the APBA Board is elected by the racers they serve. And most of them have "real" jobs as well.

But the problem is just like the problem Region 12 has with volunteers-- being a board member or officer takes a ton of time and work - and many of them are boat racers too. How many people do you know want to work a full time job for free? So, when the ballot comes out, it's no wonder why you don't see very many new names on there.

What is really the problem is that too many racers who feel they have great new ideas or want changes, don't get involved with the voting process - they don't come to region meetings and they don't give input to the reps that show up at the National Meeting to speak for them. They scream, but not when or where it counts.

So the officers and chairmen just have to guess what is best for everyone while getting an earful from the few guys and gals who *do* show up at the meetings. Just like any democratic process, if you don't get active and noisy, then you probably won't get what you want. There is power in numbers -- I've watched it happen. If you are serious about wanting things to change, that's where you start.

Also, APBA has been through a whirlwind of change over the years, including the historic National Meeting vote of 2002 where we learned that racers can make whatever they want happen in APBA. All it takes is effort.

Danny - I ignore those who think we need to be like NASCAR. We should be making our own, unique impression on folks. But remember, once upon a time NASCAR never dreamt they'd be "NASCAR" either. And what I saw Sunday -- who would have thought an air show would draw 28,000 people? Good night, Not me. These producers created a great show and the people came in droves - even people that didn't have any connection to airplanes paid the $8. There is no reason why the same can't be done with boat racing too if it has the right ingredients where the crowd screams "WOW THAT'S COOL!".

Happy 4th! have a Crown for me!
    Last edited by Miss BK; 07-04-2005 at 07:48 PM.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Unity...Continued,

I really appreciate it that BK sharred her recent attendance at an airshow...
    that is because I suggested an " Airshow Mentallity" at drivers meeting in
    Chatahoochee, Fla. Simply put, I strongly recommended to the three new
    OPC Super-Sport drivers we recruited that we "DON"T HIT EACH OTHER"...
    That recommendation came from my observation that when we finally do attract new people to our hobby, it is bad to have them take home their new pride and joy (race-boat) with damaged parts. The best saftey equipment on a race boat is the STEERING WHEEL and the THROTTLE !!!!
    ...back to BK's airshow observations...I feel that the pilots in airshows figured
    out a LONG time ago that the safest behavior is " ZERO CONTACT" think about that... if they crash in a 250 mph freefall in a vehicle filled with 100LL avgas,
    it doesn't matter how current your helmet and seatbelts are!!!
    The reality here is that, like it or not, powerboat racing is on the "EDGE of IRRELEVANCE" in the global spectrum of sporting events.... With all due respect
    to the remaining group of us, the "Diehard Enthusiasts" , we MUST endeavor to acknowledge that our "hobby" has to return to our roots of fun and fellowship if we are to perpetuate our shared interest. It is all going to come down "UNITY"...
    For no matter how much our choices of equipment differ, our collective interests are to all share our increasingly rare pursuit of displays of our ability to exhibit the best we can do on the water...together as a group...

Thread Information