Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: It seems to me that...Races Are Too Long

Post Thanks / Like

I see several benefits that APBA (and other national or world associations across the globe) bring to this sport. One is standardization and the other is continuity. Establishing a nation-wide set of classes gives greater chance for growth over a larger region - new racers then feel secure in purchasing equipment.

In contrast, when you have multiple organizations making their own rules, you are going to see that wider interest dissolve. I've seen it happen with OB drag racing and other classes that became "regionalized".

But to me, the most important thing a large organization produces is the pooling of safety information. When 100 experienced heads gather to analyze safety, the progress toward safety is accelerated. Being progressive is these areas the only way to see a sport survive in the long term, especially in our modern times where dying while participating in a sport is no longer as accepted as it used to be.

The other tasks that a national organization can produce are taking care of the organizational and administrational duties to produce a real "National" tally.

Marketing the event is a whole other matter. Each race promoter has to attack the marketing job on their own.

Some races need fans. Other races could not care less.

And each race has to decide what kind of race they want: #1 Do they want an income producing event so they can pay their officials some cash and thus, run a tight (and often not-so-fun-for-the-racers) show? #2 Or do they want to focus on the comfort of the racers, and not primarily the comfort (enjoyment) of the fans, and rely on volunteers? Either type of event is fine, and you will find plenty of both type of racers - as long as you have the volunteer resources to continue to produce an event like #2.

I think each racer has to decide what kind of racer he wants to be- or what kind of sport he wants to join. The people conducting the races need to choose what the goals of the events are. Then, each race committee needs to make sure the racers know what kind of performance they are expected to give -- long BEFORE the action begins.

Too often I've seen racers go into shock after they've been fined for holding up the show. They become furious, but only because they don't see the reasoning behind the rules. They don't hear the negative reaction from the crowd - or perhaps don't see it as detrimental to the sport. They are being shortsighted, but still this can cause animosity among their peers.

But if the committee or series has racers sign a contract with all the details about what is what is expected, they should be prepared for some "tough love". That way, if they don't agree with the goals from the start, they can move on and go compete in a different kind of racing.

Anyway - that's just my opinion, and comes from the years involved in this sport, and the years volunteering for "both" kinds of racing.

Just something to think about.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry something to save

If you want to see what is wrong in todays boat racing, go look at Hydroracer.net and look at what happened to Matt D's request of registering at Dayton and how 14H responded. Let me put the stick in your eye and then twist it.

We drive enough guys away with our attitudes. I like me first, who do you like?

Ray
    Last edited by ferv888ipba; 07-08-2005 at 07:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I must say that it iritates me a little when someone posts, drops names and insults ( right or wrong ) and hides behind a fictious name

GUY--- Who are you???

Your statements mean nothing without your name

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Fjeld
    I must say that it iritates me a little when someone posts, drops names and insults ( right or wrong ) and hides behind a fictious name

GUY--- Who are you???

Your statements mean nothing without your name
    True. From the beginning Ron and Ted asked that everyone identify themselves. Members who signed up early got away with not giving their real names. Since March, new members have been required to give their name. There have been numerous threads, announcements and even an email sent to all members earlier this year reminding everyone of this policy.

BRF welcomes different opinions, but if you want to retain your previledge to criticize, you will have to identify yourself.

Note to all:

The forum software we use has an 'ignore list' feature that you can use to completely ignore selected members. If someone really gets you stirred up, I suggest you simply put them on your ignore list and become blissfully oblivious to all their posts.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

I just got done reading some posts on the other pages and want to reiterate: There is no such thing as "Can't". Not if you have a creative mind. When I hear things like "it will never work" it tells me that someone isn't thinking about the possibilities enough.

I just saw something on the News tonight - it was just another example of when you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

We have a local semi-pro baseball team here called the "Silverhawks". They have a very nice stadium but have been having dismal fan attendance lately. Even with expanded TV commercials, discounted tickets, on-the-field contests, they still can't get the fans to come.

Tonight on the News, they announced that the Silverhawks were having a contest with the many local college Marketing Interns --- they are having a "challenge" between the different schools to see which group of students can bring the most fans to the stadium on their selected nights.

How brilliant is that!? So the Silverhawks are getting TOP NOTCH marketing and publicity from several directions all at once..... and they don't have to spend a penny! The winning marketing kids will get the recognition which will be something to put on their resume.

WHen I was in art school, we students were always being invited to "contests" to design posters and buttons etc. The only reward was recognition for us students, but the event won big! They got a free poster design!

That's the kind of hi-energy thinking that boat racing is currently competing with. So let's get on our toes and come up with strategies of our own so these competing sports won't beat us out.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the sayings my Dad was always telling us kids as we were growing up is, "there ain't no such word as can't"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ferv888ipba
    If you want to see what is wrong in todays boat racing, go look at Hydroracer.net and look at what happened to Matt D's request of registering at Dayton and how 14H responded. Let me put the stick in your eye and then twist it.

We drive enough guys away with our attitudes. I like me first, who do you like?

Ray
    Ed is a very good "stock outboard" leader and I support his response. When do you stop bending the rules???? You think NASCAR would change there policies?
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Something to save

Merc guy,
    No arguement about the rules. A guy asked for some help, for whatever reason the help is not available. okay I can live with that, but maybe like we do you can pre-register, and clear the entry. All I am saying is the attitude, not the rule, again not the rule, just some thought in a response instead on knee jerk.

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Default What Is Our A. P. B. A.

I am trying to reason out where this NASCAR and A.P.B.A.senerio comes from. I must say I do not see it. I myself have said that the Havasu race used to be boat racings Daytona 500 so I am not so innocent in this aspect. I have looked hard and far here, and realize that A.P.B.A. has a lot of similarities with the SCCA -- Sports Car Club Of America. They both have regions, clubs, their own magazine, world championships etc. They also boast over 2000 events a year.They are a Big First Class Association and what they do have is their own disscusion board online rigtht through Sports Car Club Of America ----- hello A.P.B.A.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Bob. It never works to "Follow" .. you need to lead. If we keep looking at NASCAR and trying to be like NASCAR, we are being "Followers". To be sucessful, we must find our own niche and our own style.

Each kind of racing group must find what is successful -- for itself only. This road to success won't be the same for the next guy. He must be unique and discover what is the key for his particular sport. Unlimiteds and Stock Outboards will have to find what brings them success - even though they are both "boat racing", they will each have totally different ingredients to examine and exploit.

If it's "noise" then exploit that "Screaming, wild excitement" to bring in those speed freaks.
    If its lack of noise, then exploit that this is a family event "Safe for baby's ears"

Each has a niche.

I just read the Marietta newspaper -- and one man interviewed said he liked the noise, but it was too loud to bring his kids. "Not something for families" he said. Right there I saw a marketing angle for those classes that are too quiet!

Back to whether to follow or lead.....

Open discussion boards are great - if you can be certain that it won't be misused and turn into a negative for the sport. Open boards dont work for everyone.

The APBA website had a discussion room about 6 or 7 years ago, which allowed thousands of people to interact. Because of the large numbers joining the discussions, each night was reserved for a particular category....Sadly, it became a nightmare used mostly for complaints by a handful who dominated the room.

One member had plenty of free time to sling mud about a personal issue he had with one particular board member. Every single day. It was an issue that should have been kept to private e-mail. His intent was to embarrass that person, but was injuring the Association as a whole.

Everytime I went to the chat room, it was impossible to maintain a positive conversation about boat racing, Instead, the room was being used for personal attacks. The constant negative bashing gave me an ill feeling about the state of the sport. After a month or so, it was clear this tool wasn't a positive thing for APBA. I had no involvement with APBA at the time, but knew this wouldn't be around long. Shortly afterward it was abandonded.

A number of other message boards of particular categories have recently shut down for the same reasons. 24-hour dedicated board monitors are great to have, if you can find the people to do it, but they are usually volunteers that report to duty as their own spare time allows. Often, the detrimental messages are sometimes left up far too long. Then, the only solution is to shut the board down.

Some of these groups have started their own "email" chains or yahoo discussion lists - some are by invitation only. They use these private systems to hash out disputes and management issues away from the public eye - they realize that nobody on the outside needs to see this dirty laundry.

I'm sure Biffle and Harvick have a private list somewhere where they can "talk" to each other, away from prying eyes

APBA has an answer too - In place of an open chat room or message boards for APBA members, APBA has the APBA E-alert newsletter, sent by email monthly or twice monthly. The newsletter can be used by any member for many things: To make announcements, relaying correspondence from the chairmen to the members, a way to say "Thanks" to certain volunteers, to feel out how many entries a race can expect, to request cards for an injured racer, to conduct polls, to announce pit parties and pot luck dinners as part of a race or meeting, capsule training info, rule changes - etc.

If you are an APBA member and are not getting the E-alert in your inbox, send an email to APBA Headquarters and ask to be added. Their address is apbahq @ apba-racing.com . Be sure to add news @ apba-racing.com to your "Not spam" folder too.

Thread Information