Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: It seems to me that...Races Are Too Long

Post Thanks / Like

Default Our APBA

All racing is good no matter what it is. It's a sport. Some are this some are that --well-- If you are looking for ideas for your own sport Certainly look at others and gather what you can to applly to your's , Just dont make your sport commonplace with theirs. Boat racing is Boat racing and i guarantee if the A.P.B.A. ever disolves that will be the end of it. If you have something that you feel doesnt work now or has problems, and you want to start something else to replace it, you will have the same problems as the first with less orginization. Our American Powerboat Association is not owned by one person or persons , It's all of us members ,including the MEMBERS we ELECT AS OFFICIALS listed on page 2 of the propeller magazine.On page 2 you will find all the Names,Phone #s and addresses of our elected member officials. If you feel something is so that it needs to be addresed Call them. Remember that ONE PERSON ALONE trying to change something NEVER FLIES, it takes a group action to make a difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good Points BK...

For whatever reasons, I just started getting those APBA E-alerts....

Why don't they contain a monthly article or at least a few articles by BOD Members. So, we'd know what they are doing for Boat Racing... Seems to me, most BOD Members keep a low key approach to the membership.

Some post the link on www.hydroracer.net about Matt and Eddie the Chairman's posts...

Post Thanks / Like

Ron,
    That's what the E-alert was orginally designed for -- regular communication from the upper levels (Chairmen mostly). And it is being used this way, but some use it more than others.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Fjeld
    I must say that it iritates me a little when someone posts, drops names and insults ( right or wrong ) and hides behind a fictious name

GUY--- Who are you???

Your statements mean nothing without your name

Your absolutely correct mike!

Sorry, I get so focused on what I'm drafting that sometimes I forget to end the post properly. I do try to sign most of my posts and have indeed signed my name in the past here to other posts, just forgot to add it to these recent ones. "Guy" is not a "fictious" name, it IS my name (my father named me after a famous boat racer & supporter, Guy Lombardo).

Guy Conklin
    2nd generation racer, and have been envolved with boat racing since I was born (1962), and have been an APBA PRO & Stock member (off and on) since 1972.
    Have raced classes to date: ASR, ASH, 20ssH, Formula 350H, RBH, 250ccH, 350ccH.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Miss BK
    Each kind of racing group must find what is successful -- for itself only. This road to success won't be the same for the next guy. He must be unique and discover what is the key for his particular sport. Unlimiteds and Stock Outboards will have to find what brings them success - even though they are both "boat racing", they will each have totally different ingredients to examine and exploit.
    Val,
    I totally agree! Your basically saying the same things that I have said (maybe I just did not make it clear enough in my last posts).

This was precisely one of the reasons of why I said "it will never work". I was referring to one of the plans overall goals, which was basically treating ALL category's "the same". This simply can not be done.
    I thought I previously stated pretty clearly of how unique the Offshore environment is to the rest of APBA Category's, and due to this fact, that particular plan's goals indeed "Can't" work for all APBA! BUT, as you said, with some creativity maybe a similar plan could indeed work.

If it's "noise" then exploit that "Screaming, wild excitement" to bring in those speed freaks.
    If its lack of noise, then exploit that this is a family event "Safe for baby's ears"

Each has a niche.

Precisly, I said that same thing as well. Boat Racing is a "Niche" type of sport. And this niche is both a good thing AND a bad thing for APBA.
    The bad thing is that as being a "niche" type of sport, typically does NOT attract the majority of big dollar support & coverage needed to completely satisfy all its members, sponsors & fans. The key then,as Ray said, is in proper and cost effective promotion.
    Which is the good thing about being a niche type of sport. As you said, each category's niche can and should be exploited to its fullest capacity in order to attract the most interest for sponsorships, driver/category growth, growing fan-bases and more TV airtime.

The APBA website had a discussion room about 6 or 7 years ago, which allowed thousands of people to interact. Because of the large numbers joining the discussions, each night was reserved for a particular category....Sadly, it became a nightmare used mostly for complaints by a handful who dominated the room.

One member had plenty of free time to sling mud about a personal issue he had with one particular board member. Every single day. It was an issue that should have been kept to private e-mail. His intent was to embarrass that person, but was injuring the Association as a whole.

Everytime I went to the chat room, it was impossible to maintain a positive conversation about boat racing, Instead, the room was being used for personal attacks. The constant negative bashing gave me an ill feeling about the state of the sport. After a month or so, it was clear this tool wasn't a positive thing for APBA. I had no involvement with APBA at the time, but knew this wouldn't be around long. Shortly afterward it was abandonded.
    Yes, I remember that too (as well as many other similar instances in other forum's). Nothing good usually ever came out of those. I seem to recall that (most of the time) the mudslinging and personal & credability attacks was simply due to a particular group of people (alot of times anonymous) not liking another person or group of peoples questions, disagreements or opinions.

My OPINION is...that a person making a responsible statement of a
    concern or in support of the sport, or may have a viable question about something (that may raise even further questions), should NOT EVER be ridiculled, shouted down or attacked.
    And its not just the internet that empowers the mouth-breathing masses. I have people come up to me at race sites who want to state an opinion, but half the time they won't tell me who they are. Their opinion then has NO impact on me. If you shake my hand and introduce yourself, then I'll hear your opinion and give you all the time I can spare.

I think there is only ONE good thing that did come out of those days of internet attacks, lies, deceipt and corruption,,,
    Its now easier and pretty obvious to tell who the people are that are passionate about the ongoing life, success and growth of the sport & APBA, versus those who are passionate about the sport but to only further their own agenda's, financial wealth and ego's.
    I'm definetly NOT part of the latter.

Guy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Miss Bk Should Be On Salary

Many know little about MISS BK'S background.....but she has written some of the best tunnel boat articles for Hot Boat, that have ever been written. She's a "BOAT RACER". She doesn't see that size or money makes a difference...

It is for those reasons and others, that I feel MISS BK should be on salary for APBA as a FULL TIME PUBLIC RELATION PERSON... with a reasonable budget to cover events such as.......

BK is smart, she can write and she KNOWS BOAT RACING.....She is busy with kids at home...but, she could work her schedule around HUSBAND and KIDS.....

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems to ME that, if more racers showed up, and got after it Harder the crowed
    would follow, look at top fuel and funny car, just afue hand fulls of cars, thay get all the big sponcership bucks.
    as a boat racer i've come to know these words " i am my own best sponcer"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Exactly!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Fred
    Seems to ME that, if more racers showed up, and got after it Harder the crowed
    would follow, look at top fuel and funny car, just afue hand fulls of cars, thay get all the big sponcership bucks.
    as a boat racer i've come to know these words " i am my own best sponcer"

I agree with you 100% Fred!!!!!!
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David_L6
    You mean the 2 or 3 racers(?) over at http://b4.boards2go.com/boards/board.cgi?&user=SWAMPPIT don't have all the answers?

come on David, no free advertising here please..........
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

hay David,
    thare are no points for the class i run, am runin one of them Merc killers thow the OMC kind

Thread Information