Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Sport To Save: 2011-14

Post Thanks / Like

Default Facebook Boat Racers

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001931493352#!/photo.php?fbid=119265708127630&set=t.100001931493352&type=1&theater

I'm note sure you can view these boats, but all boats appear to be homemade and utilize production motors...

ADD:

Another Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 07-09-2011 at 09:38 AM.

Team Switzercraft TomAprilsSwitzers's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile I Miss The Old Days Too

Maybe we should resurrect the old "National Outboard Association"....Seemed back in those days we had not only more racers but spectators too....I know thats a stretch but thats how bad I miss the old OPC too, when it stood for "Outboard Pleasure Craft" and everyone could afford to race.... And we were all like family and helped each other....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Personally, This IS The Right Track...

Quote Originally Posted by TomAprilsSwitzers View Post
    Maybe we should resurrect the old "National Outboard Association"....Seemed back in those days we had not only more racers but spectators too....I know that's a stretch but that's how bad I miss the old OPC too, when it stood for "Outboard Pleasure Craft" and everyone could afford to race.... And we were all like family and helped each other....
    I honestly can't tell you how many props I sold last month that were for boats of 90 HP or less. These customers aren't "TRUE" racers as they only have PRODUCTION GEARCASES and no class (es) to race in........but I'll say this, more than 25 props were sold by Signature Propellers in June for 90 HP Performance Boats.

O PEE C....Outboard Pleasure Craft...........This is a START, not a FIX. Keep thinking!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Some Questions for APBA

You should go to the meeting and ask a lot of questions in the open meetings.

How much did you spend on the Formula Four Project.

I want to see the contract with Crowne - and how much was is exactly?

How much is Hylant making off of Helping APBA with Insurance - and why?

Why did we really lose K & K for insurance?

What was APBA's membership in 2002 and what is it today?

What was APBA equity in 2002 and what is it today?

Does the insurance company set rate by category - or does APBA get the overall insurance cost - and then set the rates?

If they do - then why does Stock, Mod, Pro get such a break over Inboard and OPC?

Finally - do you guy's really think you are on the right track.

These aren't my questions but I'd like to know the answers. Maybe someone will ask these questions at the APBA meeting in Chicago is month, January 2012.

Post Thanks / Like

Default A brf reader writes

Ron, Happy New Year to you and BRF! My hat is off to you and Ted for the direction you are trying to steer boat racing.
    Totally agree with your email. In my opinion you are on the right track.
    I have been involved in many forms of motorized racing ever since I can remember, beginning with boat racing. Where APBA has failed over the years is in it's ability to adapt to change...the same thing that killed off the dinosaurs. It should have been obvious to everyone still involved in entry level racing back in the late sixties that the major manufacturers of outboards could see no benefit to supporting any of the smaller classes that were their bread and butter after WWII.
    For the last 20+ years I have been involved with sprint car racing, which over the last 15 years or so, has continued to grow, spawning many new businesses all across the country and over seas. According to World of Outlaws marketing, the sprint car business is estimated at over $1 Billion / year. Amazingly, not one single part on a sprint car today is manufactured by anything that would be recognized as a "Production Factory". Parts, motors, chassis, etc are readily available no matter where on the plant you live, and with the ever increasing advances in machining technology, prices are staying very competitive as well.
    There are classes using basically the same rolling stock, with changes in motor limitations, for every level of participant from entry level to World of Outlaws. Thanks to a basic understanding and agreements by promoters, the changes to chassis and suspensions over the years have leveled the playing fields and kept equipment from early extinction.
    What could boat racing do????
    There is probably no incentive for any private enterprise to develop a power head. However, the world has several manufacturers producing products for recreational use that could easily be adapted for racing. There are also some gear case makers that I'm sure would love to see an increase in their business. What's missing....a center section....easily manufactured by any modern day machine and fab shop.
    APBA needs to get away from the premise that one must buy a 'motor package' as a complete assembly from a manufacturer in order to qualify as a stock motor. Motor manufacturers need to see a benefit to selling/providing a power head package. From there on, it's just a matter of creating some dimension rules, and you're off and running.
    The other issue that needs addressing is slightly more complicated. That being the total domination that is created under most of the racing formats where a 1 mph advantage for any given competitor leaves the balance of the field looking at a rooster tail. How to accomplish this?, I'm not exactly sure...maybe shorter courses, different course types, qualifying, restrictions....don't know the cure. But I do know one thing for sure that helped contribute to many people leaving the sport over the years is their feeling that they could not beat the hot dogs no matter what they did. As racers lose their belief that on any given night they could win, they tend to drop out of the sport.
    Anyway, enough of my ramblings....I really still love boat racing and hate to see it continuing to decline. Hats off to you and Ted and the folks in region 12 that are bringing along the new ASH drivers.
    Have a great year,

Post Thanks / Like

Default Suggested Answer...

"The other issue that needs addressing is slightly more complicated. That being the total domination that is created under most of the racing formats where a 1 mph advantage for any given competitor leaves the balance of the field looking at a rooster tail. How to accomplish this?, I'm not exactly sure...maybe shorter courses, different course types, qualifying, restrictions....don't know the cure. But I do know one thing for sure that helped contribute to many people leaving the sport over the years is their feeling that they could not beat the hot dogs no matter what they did. As racers lose their belief that on any given night they could win, they tend to drop out of the sport."

The last line here says it all, really.

Reading 1946 Boat Racing Programs, I noticed every class had a Division I and Division II. The raced together, scored together, but ther pointed were tallied separately.

I think a PRO-AM within a class could be good for the "BACK MARKERS". PROS would get Nationals Points and pay $25 additional entry fee towards a Nation High Points. Money would be split between the top 10 points getters.

AM's would pay regular entry fees, receive National Points as AM's. There would be a National High Point AM, no money would be paid out. An AM winner would have to be a PRO the following year, but after one year, could revert to AM again.

ALSO, A ONE HEAT HANDY CAP RACE:

Handicap Racing isn't new, ever been to a horse race. After the regular two heats of racing. The Race committee would establish a timed handicap. Handicap Races would be beach starts. Slow boat start first, flagman starts the rest by dropping th flags on que.

A National High Point will be awarded for Handicap Cap racing.

So, one class, has three winner in one day...A Pro Winner. An Am winner. A handicap winner.

Burgess/Evinrude F1 V8 Lars Strom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Apba

I have now been contacted by APBA..so this post is changed..
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

My racing web site SVERA.se....http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bruce Summers from Hydroracer.net Post

racnbns

Boat Racing
    Before we try to promote boat racing take a look at it. We have a sport where the rules are proposed by a commission[mostly racers] and go to be voted on by the racers themselves.

As far as a spectator sport, I don't believe it is. Most of our programs are too long because of too many classes and if they aren't we make them longer by starting tomorrows program today. This not only confuses the few people that stumbled on the race accidentaly but puts a lot of extra work on our volunteers.

Promoting and selling the sport. First of all you have to have a marketable product. As Bob Dunlap said "they only see us at the gas station" and ask "what is it". BOAT RACING IS THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN THE WORLD.

I agree with you who believe the money could be better spent elsewhere and we should all be looking at the little things we can do to improve boat racing overall. For instance the appearance of our boat, race trailer, pit area and ourselves[I know we've all heard this a million times].

This is a good sport that I have enjoyed for many years, have made a lot of friends and hope to enjoy it for a few more years but as far as selling it to the public its a hard sell and we don't have the product or the MONEY.

Bruce Summers V-71/V-81

P.S. How about the Mercedes Benz logo. Simple and withstanding the test of time.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    EVERYTHING ABOVE THE TWO LINES WAS WRITTEN BY BRUCE SUMMERS AND POSTED ON HYDRORACER.NET:

This is not about the APBA LOGO or Crown Partners, really. It is about BRUCE'S post.

When we race in San Diego, we get invited by the Unlimiteds. Crowds come to SEE the Unlimiteds not to SEE the smaller boats. The crowds watch the 45's, the Crackers, Unlimited Lights and the Super Stocks, but really they come for the BIG BOATS.

I see NOTHING wrong with a participate sport. I started racing in 1955 and raced for 30 years. I raced on TV, I raced at Havasu with $65,000 prize money, I raced at Golden Shores for $45,000 prize money......But I had the most fun racing against Ted May at places like Blythe, and Parker....when he ran his B hydro and I ran my C Hydro in the same class. Ted May had more fun wetting down Don Williams than he did winning... Don had long hair before it was considered OK for men to have long hair, and Ted loved getting Don's hair wet, even if it cost him a win.

The best race of the day is the one you are in, or the one your kid is in............

But here is my problem with all of Boat Racing..

We just closed four days at the LA BOAT SHOW. Hill Marine and Signature Propellers had a paid booth and a successful show. Four days of hard work, I passed out 500 cards, 500 20% discount on repairs cards, and talked to a lot of friends, customers and potential customers. I was a walking, talking MACHINE.

Marlee Hill, worked the Race Boat booth for four straight days, as did many others. Marlee called me at 7:45 Sunday to ask me when I was going to the show. I called my message back and said I was going to the show when I woke up and I wasn't awake yet... Marlee made it to the show by 10 o'clock opening. I on the other hand, got there at 10:38 because of the Grammies.....They had cops and security around the boat show, they asked if I had a pass and I said, "Sure".....They said, "Dummie, this line is for the Grammy Awards, the BOAT SHOW is over there!!!!!! I said, "I parked here yesterday..."...

Anyway, the show ended at 6:00, Kenny Knudsen, thank god, helped move almost of our stuff out of our booth to my truck.

I moved my truck close to the race boats, so once my truck was loaded I went back inside to say, "Good-Bye" to all who had worked so hard for four days.

Somebody said, "Ron, go talk to the man, he wants to buy an A Hydro." So, I chased after this man and his wife and catch him at the bottom of the escalator........Now, I've basically been on my feet for four days and I don't really care if the guy wants to buy the moon, but the guy wants to buy a RACE BOAT.

I say, "Sir they tell me you'd like to buy a Race Boat." He says, "Yes, I would. How much for a new boat and motor?" I say well, "I have a new Dawe Craft I will sell for $1,400 but you need hardware and I don't know how much hardware is....." He says, "HOW MUCH FOR THE BOAT AND MOTOR? I want a new boat and a new motor."

I say, "Well, I don't know if you can buy a new Mercury, because I don't know if I can get a gearcase." I say I have a GOOD used Mercury for $3,300." He says, "How much is a new Johnson?" I say, "They don't make new Johnsons, but I have two for $2,200 each."

He then says, (As his wife is looking at the floor and ceiling at the same time)....."Why don't they have new motors and which motor is best?" Say, "Well for AXS the Mercury is better and for A Hydro the Johnson is better." Oh, he says, "So, I need two motors....?" I kind of say, "DUH!!

He says, "Thanks". And walks off.

Boat Racing really doesn't have a product to sell!

I felt like the dumbest SOB in the world......The guy wanted to buy a Race Boat and I could sell him one.....
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 02-14-2012 at 03:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FlatRacer View Post
    Ron, you're 100% correct. This year I returned to inboard racing after an 11 year hiatus, and I was in for a bit of culture shock. Aside from racing gas going from $4.50 to $12.80 per gallon, I'm dismayed at the poor state of communication.
    In trying to find out which regattas my class is running in I've had to turn into an amateur detective. There are multiple official websites that often contain conflicting information. The design of these sites is far from intuitive. I had to be tutored in how to find the one that had the calendar with the links to the official sanctions (I still can't find it without help). Some of the sanctions that come to my e-mail arrive less than a month before the regatta, which makes it hard to plan my summer around the races.
    There was no printed rulebook in my mailbox when I sent in my membership fee. I've had no communication from APBA inboard telling me who my class rep is (I've had to find out from other sources).
    The Propeller magazine is (understandably considering the state of flux the printed publishing industry is in these days) a shadow of its former self. And the info in it is hopelessly out of date.
    Now, I'm hearing that a regatta I was planning to attend is NOT hosting any flatbottom classes despite that sanction that says "all inboard" classes. What happens if I and three other flats show up ready to run?
    I get more information in the form of back channel rumors and gossip than in official form. And they're spending our money on Crown Partners for what, exactly?

Eric
    hey, Eric are you going to Lakeland Fla. March 1.2 .3 Pro Stock are on the K are off not enough for a class, only John B, Duff and myself were the only ones going to definitly be there thats only three. and if you want to know something call someone..Hank, Sked, tom Richman, Dale, or even me at a last resort. I'm not that supid to go to a race and not make a couple of calls first, You have to keep in touch with the fellow boat racers. I plan on taking two pro stocks, bob Z will be there , tom Richmond and maybe truit ,and John Britian. will be there. ... Ron, keep up the good work.be talking to Ya.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimclauss View Post
    hey, Eric are you going to Lakeland Fla. March 1.2 .3 Pro Stock are on the K are off not enough for a class, only John B, Duff and myself were the only ones going to definitly be there thats only three. and if you want to know something call someone..Hank, Sked, tom Richman, Dale, or even me at a last resort. I'm not that supid to go to a race and not make a couple of calls first, You have to keep in touch with the fellow boat racers. I plan on taking two pro stocks, bob Z will be there , tom Richmond and maybe truit ,and John Britian. will be there. ... Ron, keep up the good work.be talking to Ya.
    Thanks for the invitation, Jim. The sad truth is as much as I'd love to go, I cannot afford such a long trip this year. I hope to be able to make such long distance races in a couple years when my 3 year old daughter is in Kindergarten and my wife can return to the work force. Besides, I'm still paying off the credit card I used to build my Super Stock engine last season. I'm still debating if I'm even going to race this year. I may just do Greenwood Lake and Mays Landing this year. We'll see what the tax return brings........

Best of luck, and be safe.
    Eric

Thread Information