Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Straightaway Boat Restoration

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Poole View Post
    The under side or "tunnel" is suprisingly simple. Has a very difinitive upward "break" from just aft of the back of the sponsons. One curiosity is how the sponson ride pads are 'scalloped". I figure it had something to do with keeping the boat planted nose down at speed. I believe they used a billet prop as it was too risky to use a cast or welded one. I also thought it was very innovative, and safe, to steer the boat with a rudder instead of with the engine.

Fixed motor & separate steering rudders have been used on outboard record boats since about 1960. Its not an innovation on this particular boat.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    Charlie Strang says the prop was cast...on You Tube.
    You mean a stand in for the real prop used on the boat? Or sand cast?
    Mark N

Burgess/Evinrude F1 V8 Lars Strom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

From the pit St. Louis F1-ChamBoat race 2008
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

My racing web site SVERA.se....http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, interesting that those who went after the outboard speed record did not use rudders until Second Effort did. Walin, Merten, Andrews, Sherlock used cable steering.

The boat was on display in Florida at a boat show, Alan Garbrect is who mentioned the billet prop to me. Given the speed and rpm, I would want a billet wheel if I were driving!

If more options were introduced into this chase it would get real interesting. A turbo charged OHC 24 valve motor and a two speed box for one.
    Outboard Model Concepts
    RC Mod-VP hulls
    Distributor for HTB Tunnels

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default reason for rudder on the boat...................

I have always heard..................

that the reason the Davies and Second Effort attempts used a rudder on the boat, was there was either suspicion or knowledge that the back of the boat breaking loose and trying to swap ends while at speed was the cause of the death of George Andrews during one of the record attempts while he was driving a similar design Hydro.

I was also told, or possibly saw, a post on BRF several years ago, by someone who was experienced with the type boat that was being used in Andrews record attempt, that he felt it was not safe in that configuration and suggested a rudder, so as to eliminate the type problem that was felt contributed to George's accident. There is a picture here on BRF of (I believe) that boat at speed, and you can plainly see the lower unit almost completely out of the water. No prop or unit in the water, no steering.

I did see in the 80's, an attempt at the Kilo record at Moorehaven, Fl., but I don't remember now whether the boat had Bud Davies name or Second Effort on it. I believe the driver for those and subsequent attempts was Wartinger. Record runs were attempted but because the boat was not able to turn around in the area at the end of the Kilo (narrow canal) so as to make a return run, the attempts were nullified. Supposedly the rudder either did not have enough travel to allow the boat to make a 180 in the width of the course, or it malfunctioned. I seem to remember it did not have enough travel.

We could all benefit from some comments from John Sherlock about the records attempts made in that time frame as he is very knowledgable about that time.

Post Thanks / Like

I am sure everybody have seen the videos when Bob Wartinger sets the record.
    ..it takes a lot..... to fly that thing close to 180 Mph..!!!
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Poole View Post
    Well, interesting that those who went after the outboard speed record did not use rudders until Second Effort did. Walin, Merten, Andrews, Sherlock used cable steering.

The boat was on display in Florida at a boat show, Alan Garbrect is who mentioned the billet prop to me. Given the speed and rpm, I would want a billet wheel if I were driving!

If more options were introduced into this chase it would get real interesting. A turbo charged OHC 24 valve motor and a two speed box for one.
    I wanted to put a rudder on the boat if I was to run her again. George Andrews ran her after me and they did not go with the rudder idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    John Sherlock

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Maybe this video should be here to..

Updated..youtube video..

1989 EVINRUDE V8 600hp Assault on the Record
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLDM1...feature=autofb
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Post Thanks / Like

Have you ever noticed when something looks fast it usually is... nice project

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

was talking to ed karelsen yesterday about the boat and all his involvment with the attempt to brake the record,,, said they actually ran faster in testing before they went to kilo's,, 195+ when he was there and put the rear sponsons on it for them and they also ran overdrive gearcase...and alchohol motor,,basically a bigger version of the old venturi boats that he and john/his son had built for the pro"s in the 80"s

Thread Information