Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: need help 50hp merc

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thinke the carbs off of merc 650 or?? not sure on witch motor for sure,,,
    most the d-mod/750 guys raceing have them on there motors,,, they are 50 hp but have stacks soo prob have to jet down abit we on the west coast usually run .067 jets in them soo prob a bit smaller,,, maybe .064??,,, cant bore the original carbs that much

Post Thanks / Like

Default Carb 1 -1/16"

I went into my carb collection and find the KC14A is 1-1/16". I only have one.

I found a pair of 1-3/16" carbs in the pile.

David
    Old Race Boats Still Flip You Out

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Would 1 3/16 carbs be over carbing the motor? I'm at 1100 elevation here in Arkansas . I can carb a dirt bike if i can start from a good idea which way i need to jet it. i can dial it in. Dirt bikes are alot different than outboard motors but jetting it shouldn't be that hard. I think i can learn alot from all of you guys on here. I've got to old for bikes and know boats are my hobby. I have the need for speed lol. Just no racing really goes on around were i live. Can you not just by high dome pistons for a motor instead of padding the cylinder head? thinking about fabing a few exuast tubes to kinda act like an expansion chamber in the midsection . The tube seems really restrictive and there is all kinds off room in the midsection to make the tube bigger before entering the exaust in the lower unit.Would that help the motor breath a little better?

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=The tube seems really restrictive and there is all kinds off room in the midsection to make the tube bigger before entering the exaust in the lower unit.Would that help the motor breath a little better?[/QUOTE]

Alot of guys drill through the lower unit into the restricted pipe your talking about to make the motor breath better ....

Post Thanks / Like

Also forgot to add .. Done alot of research on this myself as i have the same motor but in the midsection there is a exhaust tuner for backpressure and from wht ive read on these motors dont screw with them it will only make everything else harder like tuning foreign to the motor carbs...

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A/B Speedliner View Post
    I went into my carb collection and find the KC14A is 1-1/16". I only have one.

I found a pair of 1-3/16" carbs in the pile.

David
    You wouldn't know what motor that would have came out on would you? I've also read about fractured rods . I have a 1976 50hp . would it have the fracture rods? I've read there a little better than the earlier syle of rods. Should i balance the motor ? I know it will last longer, spin tighter and hold together longer if its like a car motor. I'm also always makin a motor give me it all she has and I want it to stay together. lol for a little while.
    I'm getting ready to build my first outboard motor and need all the help i can. Spring will be here soon and i can't wait! I love the sound of a screaming 2 stroke.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

1 3/16 wont work too big,,, need 1 1/16th,,, dont worry about balancing,,, merc already bin there,, factory balace good,,,, can weight rods ,, just make sure same style .... we rev the 50 hp 8000,,no worries,,, biggest thing is to torque rods to specs and get honed so as to make them round,, in my experiance about 1 and a half thous,,,rudes about 3 thous...,, match the bigger carb to front case,,,, port motor a little and time at .215 before tdc...,, boysen reeds and 100hp merc reed stops...,,,have set many records doing just that,,, and of course porting the motor to what ya need...

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I still am think about building the 44 merc but i came up with another idea. I found a 70hp merc that has low compression on one cylinder. I'm think about buying it and building it first and mounting it to the 50 mid section. I found out the 1 1\16 carbs do come off 65mercs to.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking 70 HP merc

the 70 merc if its a 49 cu in one will fit the 40/45/50 tower housing, You just need the adapter thats below the powerhead is all..
    the best machinest around the does the merc blocks is James Ruck, he is in Oshkosh, Wi phone/fax 920-233-3833...He done two of my blocks and they where a awsome work..
    good luck with your prodjects

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arkansas river rat View Post
    I still am think about building the 44 merc but i came up with another idea. I found a 70hp merc that has low compression on one cylinder. I'm think about buying it and building it first and mounting it to the 50 mid section. I found out the 1 1\16 carbs do come off 65mercs to.
    Guessin your talkin about the old 65s? Like not the 3cyls? Cause i believe the 3cyl are the same as the 70s 3cyl from that era?

Thread Information