Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: need help 50hp merc

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default need help 50hp merc

I have a 1980 50hp merc. I going to use a 1976 50hp midsection and drive shaft to change it to a short shaft. The wiring on the 76 has fallen apart. The motor has good compression tho. I plan on running a chopper prop on the motor when i have the prop lower unit on. I'm going to put the motor on my 1648 jon boat that weighes around 350ibs if not lighter. Do i need to run a lower water pickup? If so were can i find one? I've found low water pickups but they are all for bigger outboards than mine. I run the boat light and i'll have a tiller on the motor. I'd like to make the boat run like a scolded ape lol Can i modify the 1976 50hp to run a little harder? While i get by on the other 50hp merc or my 25hp merc. The 25merc pushes the boat around 30 mph maybe faster if i ran a 14pitched prop instead of the 13. I just don't know about the motor design. I'm used to having a head that i can mill down to raise compression and boring out carbs or replacing them.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been reading Doug Kay builds merc 44 . I wonder if he could build the 1976 44 merc for me just for playing on the river. Doesn't take long to switch powerheads. Does anyone know what type of mods to do the the powerhead and a price estimate?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

biggest thing put merc 1-1/16th carbs on..deff improvement... time it at .215 before top dead,,,run boysen dual stage reeds,,, and the aluminum reeds, put 100hp reed stops on them grind to a bevel at leading edge,,,and port it prob about 30-40 thousands for ya that way still get torque... other than running pipes on it that about it,,,, could drill out exhaust in center section to allow more exhaust out..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Doug Kay

Doug Kay does great work, he has produced some winning engines for us. His contact info is 586-212-5917

David Van Weele
    Old Race Boats Still Flip You Out

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be interested to hear how this works out
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

..."aluminum reeds, put 100hp reed stops on them grind to a bevel at leading edge.."

Aluminum reeds? And what leading edge is one to grind a bevel on?

Thanks,

Jeff

PS: On that rotted out wiring--what the heck were they using for wiring back then?--the only fix is to take one wire at a time, follow it back to where hopefully enough is left to get hold of, and replace it (with the same color wire or Oh my God will you have trouble.)

Post Thanks / Like

Default I think he meant

I think he meant Alumin. reed cage and to grind the front edge of the reed stop so he could bend them up to allow the reed stop to be bent up. That way the stop will not hit the crank. That is just my quess?

David
    Old Race Boats Still Flip You Out

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

correct speedliner,, plus of course boysen reeds,,,,,i have tried lots of reeds and designs over the years,,,, the best where boysen,,, and of course hustler puipes,,,, if ya can find them,,,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by formeone View Post
    biggest thing put merc 1-1/16th carbs on..deff improvement... time it at .215 before top dead,,,run boysen dual stage reeds,,, and the aluminum reeds, put 100hp reed stops on them grind to a bevel at leading edge,,,and port it prob about 30-40 thousands for ya that way still get torque... other than running pipes on it that about it,,,, could drill out exhaust in center section to allow more exhaust out..
    running the same motor but 40hp (newer style 44ci) you mentioned 1-1/16th carbs are those carbs off of another motor if so what motor?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So use aluminum reed cages and boysen. reeds and use 100hp reed stops after grinding them down on the leading edge . Can i just bore out the carbs? or can i find a set easy? What motor year hp can i get a set off of.

Thread Information