Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1997 Mercury 60

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 1997 Mercury 60

Just had a 3 cyl 60, two stroke built for my 15'2" Coastal, built in Conway/Wampee SC. The motor runs great at idle, bring it up on plane and at about 3/4 throttle it dies as if someone pulled the kill switch? Any ideas, stater. Please help, hopefully someone else has had this problem. It has a brand new tiller handle, cost me 500 bucks . I've checked all the obvious stuff, gas, kill switch? Ideas please.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Tim Weber
    Post Thanks / Like

Two things make it run, spark and gas. Since it runs, you got spark. With electronic ignition, it works or it doesn't. That leads me to think fuel is the problem. My guess is a bad fuel pump. As the engine rpm increases so does the need for more fuel. Since you are not getting fuel it starves and dies.

Tim

bill boyes

Ck the fuel filter also.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default You might want to appeal to .....................

a little larger audience. If you don't already know about the site, a great number of pleasure boater, tech's, etc., frequent "Scream & Fly", which has been of good help to me regards similar problems with my bass boat engine.

As a previous poster said, sounds like you might have a lack of fuel problem at higher RPM.
    Many causes such as clogged fuel filters, bad primer bulb in the fuel line from tank to motor, etc. Sometimes a blocked vent on the tank can cause this type problem.

If you live where the gas is 10% ethanol blend, there are many problems that can be caused by that if the boat sits idle for periods of time.

Good Luck

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

vent on tank?? or anti-siphon valve on tank go bad alot... try a different /portable fuel tank on it and see what happens,,, or if it has sat for any length of time carbs can gum up easily

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Merc 60

Thanks for the reply's. The tank and all the lines/primer bulb are new. Carbs are clean as it's just been built. The gas has been treated since it was in the tank, I've ran about 3, 6 gal tanks through it all treated with the ethanol stabil. The vent's open on the tank and not clogged. When the motor dies, I've checked the bulb and it's tight. ?? If it were fuel it would sputter a little or act like it's starved for fuel a little, this is just like you pull the kill switch?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Engine stopping

It sounds like you might have an electrical issue caused by advancing the throttle. One thing that might work is to run the engine in a test tank where you can observe it closely. Check to make sure that no wires are being disturbed as the throttle is moved. You might try to read the voltage going into the ignition as the throttle is advance with ignition on but not running.
    Alan

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Alan, I feel like it's something electrical as well.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fuel Starvation Problems

You might have a bad bulb in your fuel line. Your statement that the "bulb was hard" when the motor died reminded me of a problem I had years ago: the motor would die as if it was out of gas, yet the bulb was hard and the carb and pump were in perfect shape.

The problem, it turned out, was that the outlet check valve in the bulb would somehow freeze closed, blocking flow (hence the hard bulb. The bulb should be SOFT when all is right.) A new fuel line and bulb cured the problem immediately.

Good luck!

Jeff

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 60 merc

Jeff,

Thanks, the gas line and bulb are both new but that does not mean that the bulb is not working properly. I'll get me a new one and check it. It's a cheap fix if that's the problem. This is the first 3 cyl motor I've owned. It's quieter than the 40 I had and seems to be real smooth! I love it so far but dissapointed in this one problem. I'll post if your suggestion solves the issue. Thanks.

Thread Information