Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Back into OPC Racing - SST60 Style

Post Thanks / Like

Default glad to be back

Don, Thanks for the welcome back! Since posting I have been getting many warm welcomes and advice. I raced SST-60 for many years in several different boats. The SST-60 class has always been competitive and very good to me... 1998 Hall of Champions, National and World Championships.
    The weight and motor rule changes are great improvements since I raced in the class. We are updating our motors, bought a new/used powerhead (actually from a Canadian) we are freshening up, our prop guys are still around and the new Pugh boat is a completely new design that Gary and I agree will be very competitive.
    However, take it from someone coming back into the 60 class "new". You can not find and buy a complete motor new and it is very hard to find one used. So, if a new driver wanted to enter the class they would either have to find a used motor or piece one together....too much hassle and discouraging for someone entering a motor sport. This is why I suggest we allow some other possible motors for the class so new people can enter and buy complete engines to race. This will allow us to grow this class into the future. Just my $.02 from someone coming back into boat racing. Thanks! -Roddy

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, and this is not just a sst60 problem. It is way to hard for someone to buy a good motor heck a motor period in many outboard classes in apba. It is the main reason our numbers have been going down for so long. And it is why we should really listen to any and all suggestions cause we need to fix it. Welcome back

Post Thanks / Like

Default One Thing That Would Help....

Being able to buy a boat that will run with the front runners is also needed....Hint, hint Stephen. It is time to build a Dawe Craft 45 SS from composites...

Next step, would bea MOD 60, as spin off of SST 70.....

Vic Brinkman has an SST 70 B and H hul, I called him today and he's closed til SPRING. I will buy that SST 70 to make a mold from it.... SEAWAY MARINE JAKE...Where are you??

We have a sport to save!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ron I lLove You!

You have so much enthusiam for a Sport that frankly has very little hope for growth. You and I both know that the only way to turn this around - WILL NEVER HAPPEN! To many politics involved. Gary Garbrecht once told me -" just let it die and then start over from scratch". I did not listen to him and spent thousands of hours trying to fix something that was broken - and still is.

Where is the Formula 4 boats - I thought they were supposed to be done and racing by now??? Maybe that's the answer for OPC.

As for adding something "New" to SST-60 - I would have to agree with the guy that said - leave it alone - it works! Sam and Sherron have done an outstanding job with the class - and as far as I am concerned - its there baby at this point. I think that they get the number of boats they need at their events and the participants all seem happy. It might just be one of those few things - that left alone - will continue to survive.

Now that does not rule out starting something completely new like your guys did with the Mod VP Classes - or John Schubert did with the Tri - Hulls - now that would work - especially if you could keep it simple and keep the "Politicians" out of it.

Stil - l love your constant energy for the Sport!

Jake

PS - And Roddy good luck this season I am sure you'll have some fun! BTW whomever said that they are making 10 HP more than when you used to run - is WRONG - for sure - Dyno's do not lie.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank You, SWMJAKE....

I just checked BRF, we had 484 on line, I checked Hydroracer.net, they had 65, I checked Performanceboats.com they had 384. Performance Boats charges $500 PLUS PER MONTH FOR ADS. I believe, on the world market, that there is interest in affordable race boats.

Sea Way Marine, and SWMJAKE have done a great service for boat racing in America. But, I feel that they can also grow world boat racing.

Cracker Box, Tri Hull, Mod VP (COR 200), Parker Enduros.....Top of Michigan races and classes that have d tradition can grow boat racing. These are basically LOCAL races.

LOCAL CLASSES, LOCAL FUN is what I feel is needed, not spending all your money on travel.

In the old days, articles were written about races, paid by companies like Mercury Marine. Sea Way Marine and Hill Marine can't carry boat racing, but the internet can.

My old saying, "Things go along like this, then they get worse." has been true. But I think, boat racing's best days are still ahead.

Handicap racing like the Enduro...Night racing.. Lucas Stadium racing...

Boat racing like any business needs to be managed. I would say, leave SST 60 alone....but maybe, a MOD 60 could develop in SoCal...45 have been a big class in SoCal, but that doesn't mean MOD 60 can't grow...

As far as COR 200, we are trying to keep politics out of it...we did have 14 boats in our class at the 300 Enduro!

Truth is, I've not giving up on boat racing!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

"Where is the Formula 4 boats - I thought they were supposed to be done and racing by now???"
    They do exist on the f1 tour (Europe Asia) but sound, look and go like crap

Should be new etec 90's on a 15" using same hull.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fun

Jake - thanks for the good luck. It won't be the same without racing you, and Randy Minch, who I always thought were the best in the 60 class.
    Ron - appreciate your focus and help to grow our sport. I'd love to help you promote a MOD 60 class. As I still believe without a source for new motors we will not attract new racers.

Post Thanks / Like

Default APBA and Mercury's FormulaRace???

Quote Originally Posted by Powerabout View Post
    "Where is the Formula 4 boats - I thought they were supposed to be done and racing by now???"
    They do exist on the f1 tour (Europe Asia) but sound, look and go like crap

Should be new etec 90's on a 15" using same hull.
    If F4 is his FormulaRace class.....APBA powered assured me they had a CONTRACT with Jason Nari to build these boats....But I also had a contract with him to build me four boats...My contract will be two years old this February! And I don't have any boats....

I have heard that these boat are kind of like racing toilet seats! And you know how fast they are!
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 12-31-2010 at 10:21 AM.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Guys,
    Sorry to but-in to your thread, But I think we have a simular problem here in europe, with the Original F4 class (13' hull with Yamaha 850 cc 70ces engine).

The UIM with their infinate wisdom will not renew the holomagation for the Yam engine, so this is the last year of International competition for us.

Yes we have the new F4-s class using Merc 60hp 4 strokes, but . . . and its a big but !!
    They are 15-20 mph slower, 20 kg (44lb) heavier. and make so little noise you cant hear them.
    Where the Yam 70 is really 85 hp ish. the Merc 60 is 60 ! and 20 kg heavier
    No right thinking F4 driver is going to make that investment to go that slow !!!

We have also tried the E-tec on the stock E-tec leg, but they also are too slow and swing too large a prop for size of boat.

We also have the Selva F1000i. . "stock " 1000cc powerhead on race mid and box. Selver have a "green" version of the powerhead that will fit the race mid and box, BUT Getting one from Italy is like finding rocking horse s**t !!!!!!

I think if you can find something to replace what we all are using, you would have interest from here in europe also

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Carl
    I was thinking of a etec 90 on top of the sst60 mid and lower

PS Etec technology is good for 10k rpm and there is a skidoo engine doing 8500 so there is room for an upgrade.....

Thread Information