Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it cheating??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is Nitro Illegal???

If that is true...Probably good thing Harry Bartolmei isn't with us anymore.....Harry, nitor and 12 OZ. of oil to five gallons was Harry's main speed secret...

I have serious knowledge that there are gasolines out there that are faster than others and they can and do get around the digatron meter!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Henry Wagner and Rules

I've probably had more "discussions" relative to rules with Henry than anybody. But that's 23 different stories.
    "Cheating" is an unnecessary issue. How or why a the person is illegal is academic. If a rule were violated, the contestant should be disqualified.
    Basically, the rules are simple. If it doesn't say you can't, it's legal. As a contestant, I always said show me the rule I'm breaking. As an official, I always pulled out the rule book, found the rule and asked the participant, "Is what you did in violation of the rules?"
    After the participant calmed down and said yes, then I would say, you know what that means, don't you?
    And as for "letting somebody off", that sounds like a nice thing to do, but it's an un-nice thing to do to the competitor/s behind him/her.

Post Thanks / Like

The rule I am concerned about is clearly written. Detecting violators is difficult, so its basically not tried.

I am truly disappointed that racers that I thought were winning via skill, testing and hard work are just using a loophole in inspection process to beat other racers who are following the letter of the rules.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Formula 1, SST45 Lee Motorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sam,

Without going into detail, are we talking SO, MOD, PRO, or OPC?

Thanks.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default what is the reason........

it is so difficult to check. No checking tools or equipment, or something that can be put right or within the rules before the competitor comes to inspection? In other words, what makes it difficult to determine if a violation has taken place?

Not saying there is a solution, but possibly a little more information about what is suspected might generate some solutions to the problem.

If nothing else, perhaps a little "publication of suspicion" might make someone think twice if they thought someone might be on to them and more folks watching.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quality of Rules

If a rule leaves room for "interpretation", it's a lousy rule and I can probably beat it. Rules should be clear, concise and quantifiable. A rule is like "keep a safe distance" it is not a rule. If a rule says "Three 3 feet is a safe distance" it's a better rule, but unless there is a clear cut way to measure the three feet, the rule still sucks. It needs to be something that both competitors and all rational officials, anywhere in the world can measure.
    For example, in fuels, unless nitro is specifically NOT allowed, then it's legal. If the rule is "no XYZ" but we don't how to measure it, I'm going to run it, if it makes me go faster. Pushing the state of the art is what racing is all about. If you're not pushing the state of the art (within the rules), then you're only playing around, not racing.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Elf

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    If that is true...Probably good thing Harry Bartolmei isn't with us anymore.....Harry, nitor and 12 OZ. of oil to five gallons was Harry's main speed secret...

I have serious knowledge that there are gasolines out there that are faster than others and they can and do get around the digatron meter!
    exactly Ron! ELF makes one that is insanely expensive.....but when was going fast ever "cheap"??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    If you don't understand the rules? Not cheating, but the punishment should be the same regardless.
    If everyone in your region is doing it? Yes it is cheating.

If you are not getting caught? Yes it is cheating.

If everyone who places in the top 3 in your class is doing it? Yes it is cheating.
    In the first example, perhaps the rule needs to be rewritten more clearly.In the second, perhaps the rule needs to be changed. The third - inspection needs to be better. And, again in the fourth, perhaps the rule needs to be changed.

Post Thanks / Like

The rule is clearly written. The confusion is that it is generally only taken to the letter/exact clause in cases of protest.

This makes some racers think it doesn't apply because they never see it being considered at a local race
    Last edited by Mark75H; 12-21-2010 at 09:27 AM.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

I would say the easiest way to start getting it detected or dealt with is to put it out there for all to know/ Use and then the process for detecting dealing with it will be expedited because you have many more brains with vast knowledge & connections to figure out how to detect it or right the rules to enforce it.
    Or in a worst case scenario every one starts doing/using it and the playing field is leveled again.

If you like having a elite group bending the rules and getting away with it because it cant be addressed, than just leave it in the dark and wait for it to slowly come to the light and get fixed.
    In the mean time the rumors will spread and good honest racers will get fed up and leave the sport.

Just my two cents from what I have seen in the past.

Thread Information