Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it cheating??

Post Thanks / Like

sam can i ask what rule or rules u are talking about? so maybe i or someone can help u better.

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rules? "There ought to be a rule" -

How about the rule about 2 boats approaching a turn? there's an over taking rule. How bout some one trying to push another boat out &into a crash on the bank or ,in my case when A guy in Sport E , back in 1979 tried to push me into the floats in front of the Stockton Rod&gun club, in the middle of straightaway ,because he did not have the speed to pass me ,afterwards ,nobody said a word about "Bob". (the guy from Suisun. ) hint hint.

Post Thanks / Like

If an inspector is going to through me out, I want to see exactly what rule he is using. No rule, no DQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Its in the rule book and clearly written.

APBA's rules are very clear that YOU are responsible to read and KNOW the rules. No one else is responsible to explain or show you the rules.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up I know a lot of you have been

around this stuff longer than I but having sat through more than a few rules meetings and being involved in more than a few technical inspections....

The truth really is that if you aren't getting caught, you ain't cheating. Some of our more tech intensive classes gather some VERY sharp minds. Both in engine building and in reading comprehension. LOL! Some of these guys spend more time reading what is not in the rule book than they do reading what IS in it...

it makes for lively banter at the rules committee meetings and you can see the faces of some of the racers who, when a new rule is changed or added to close up a hole in the rule book, suddenly realize that maybe they were getting beaten for a reason. It makes it fun being in a position of power when it comes time to make a ruling at the race site.
    Russ Rogers
    Fort Worth (Hell's Half Acre), TX

http://www.caldwellracingtechnology.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rules

Joe J said: If an inspector is going to through me out, I want to see exactly what rule he is using. No rule, no DQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I say Amen. They better also be able to specifically the offense. "You came too close." or "I didn't like the looks of.." Will not hold up under my appeal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rusrog View Post
    The truth really is that if you aren't getting caught, you ain't cheating.
    So, if I am at a club race where there will not be tear down inspections, I am not cheating if I run a 500+cc Konig that appears to be a 350?

What about a Stock race running a "fuel of the day" race where the allowed reading on the Digitron meter is +30 ... can I run a -70 gasoline doped with nitromethane to read +30?

You guys keep going off on the tangent of "bending" or "interpreting" a rule. I am not talking about unclear fuzzy rules ... I am talking about clearly written rules.

How about a minimum boat length ... suppose an inspector checks your boat and says ... your boat is illegal because it is too short. The inspector has no responsibility to tell you how long your boat is required to be, nor what page you will find the rule on.

Its black and white, and each racer's responsibility to know the rules that apply to him or her.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sam, I think cheating is wrong even if you don't think you'll get caught. Just because nobody's inspecting the boats doesn't make it OK.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Sam your a little off here

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    So, if I am at a club race where there will not be tear down inspections, I am not cheating if I run a 500+cc Konig that appears to be a 350?

What about a Stock race running a "fuel of the day" race where the allowed reading on the Digitron meter is +30 ... can I run a -70 gasoline doped with nitromethane to read +30?

You guys keep going off on the tangent of "bending" or "interpreting" a rule. I am not talking about unclear fuzzy rules ... I am talking about clearly written rules.

How about a minimum boat length ... suppose an inspector checks your boat and says ... your boat is illegal because it is too short. The inspector has no responsibility to tell you how long your boat is required to be, nor what page you will find the rule on.

Its black and white, and each racer's responsibility to know the rules that apply to him or her.
    In The Pro ranks all technical aspects of the boat, motor and safety is on the inspectors lap. What you are talking about is fuel. pro does not have this problem except for K pro OSY and all service and racing anitque classes. in these classes it is up to the inspector how far he wants to go as with all other aspects of his job. It is the ruling bodies job to stand behind the inspectors. If you think that a inspector at a nationals race or a local race is not doing his job, then there is a protest policy in all catagory's to police this. All that has to be done is persue this by the rule. as a inspector for over 20 years I had simple procedures that all drivers understood, the ones that thought they could get by me paid a high price. If you think that you are playing in a unfair or against the rules game, or the inspector is not doing his job by RULE, then it is your response to see that the race committee does their job and a solution is reached, including a meeting with the commission/ commissioners. This is how it works. And if the persons involved are cheating, then not only through the scoundrels out but embarass their *** in front of the other competitors. I have no use for cheaters, but I shake hands with and slap the thinkers on the back. In my years of inspecting , I have found some bogus stuff. usually this junk did not win but was third or fourth. after i through them out I told them in front of their friends and competitors that they were too stupid to race with and against their fellow competitors and i always done my best to make them feel like the low life's that they are.If you have a problem and it is not detected with the tools of the day, Then it is a clean shoot that time, and shame on the inspector. Sounds like you are bitching about a fuel deal, and that is why I think you all should run a race gas only as it will pass the meter test every time. This is the problem with "Pump gas rules". another way is to go methanol and problem solved!

Post Thanks / Like

Sam, a question back at you:

Why don't you put up a $100 bill for a protest? If it's that clear in the rule book, you will get it back.

Not trying to be a smart a**, just asking a question.

Joe

Thread Information