Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Some old OPC scans...

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Some old OPC scans...

Working with the scanner and Dad's old photos, I figured I'd post a few shots here.

Boat 898 Terry Leatherby's mod 50 Broughton/Johnson, boat 328 Bill Richter Sr, Burgess/ Evinrude, Formula 100. Clinton Iowa, 1979(?) ish.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 08-30-2021 at 03:08 PM.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

......These are from the same Clinton race, Rick Kasmar's SJ Hydrostream Puma with Johnson 140, and Dave Packer's Mod U......Dunno.

Post Thanks / Like

Clinton, IA was a good race site. I liked it because if you got tried of boat racing you could walk over to the car show. And when you got done with that walk over to the tractor pull. Then go see the rodeo and finish up with ice cream at the Burger King. Then back to the boat races. And carnival rides too. Cool place for boat races.
    Mark N
    Here's one from Clinton, IA too.

Post Thanks / Like

Default OLD Northwest OPC pics

Herewith some shots of early years in the Northwest. "NOMA" (Northwest Outboard Marathon Club) started out as wildcat racing and then APBA sanctioned. I raced there from 1970 thru 1983.
    1st picture is of my SJ rig in 1973. The new tuned exhaust "bubbleback" Evinrude 135 was fast enough to run with the black motors, until the new better shaped gearcase came out for the Mercs.

2nd shot a beach start, Black Lake in Olympia WA. From top left, John Lehto, Greg Horn,John Abbott, LArry Lewis, Clyde Jacobus, George Abbott, Randy Zavales. In the water, Randys brother. On the beach lower left is Craig Indall.

3rd one, a placemat from Havasu. Ron should like this one.

4th, George Abbott at speed.

5th, a poleboat start at Black Lake, date unknown.

6th, Stu Deibert / Schultze / Evinrude

Post Thanks / Like

There was only 1 Glas Moly in Region, belonged to Dick Sharp. I THINK I may have 1 pic, will keep digging. Don't have anything else for Deibert, sorry. Here's a good shot of Bill Glennon Next to Leatherbys' boat at Beloit in '79. Without his help I couldn't have kept involved as a certain individual at Evinrude did his best to interfere. Yannow, politics and I ain't a politician - -

Along those lines, here's my MOD 50 Hering. Molinari copy. Not enough airfoil, it was either plastered flat or in danger of a blowover! Lasted 3 races and the motor punched thru the transom dumping me in the Ohio. Lesson: want it done right, do it yourself.

Sorry photo quality is poor, most of these photos were in IVAN hurricane flood.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MTECHMARINE View Post
    Herewith some shots of early years in the Northwest. "NOMA" (Northwest Outboard Marathon Club) started out as wildcat racing and then APBA sanctioned. I raced there from 1970 thru 1983.
    1st picture is of my SJ rig in 1973. The new tuned exhaust "bubbleback" Evinrude 135 was fast enough to run with the black motors, until the new better shaped gearcase came out for the Mercs.

2nd shot a beach start, Black Lake in Olympia WA. From top left, John Lehto, Greg Horn,John Abbott, LArry Lewis, Clyde Jacobus, George Abbott, Randy Zavales. In the water, Randys brother. On the beach lower left is Craig Indall.

3rd one, a placemat from Havasu. Ron should like this one.

4th, George Abbott at speed.

5th, a poleboat start at Black Lake, date unknown.

6th, Stu Deibert / Schultze / Evinrude
    I was wondering if you had more photos of Greg Horn's boat because I have his old SJ DelCraft. But I don't have any photos of when he owned it or what it looked like when Bob Holloway owned it.
    Mark N

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Here's one for you Mark N

The Seebold you rebuilt for Rick Remley. This is from the Kankakee nationals in the late 80s.

This hull has survived and is currently being restored.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default An early OMC race team pic.....

The Schulyz tunnel with twin X-115s, I don't know who took the picture. It was given to me by someone who worked with me at OMC but I don't remember who.
    I was told Rich McKinley is in the cockpit, and the other two fellas were Bruce Summers and Ray Nydahl. Bruce is often on BRF, hopefully his ears are burning and he will put in his 2 cents.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 04-09-2020 at 04:43 PM.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Team Force

Roddy Foreman's Formula 100 LeeCraft with a Force, I thought I had one of his team mate's boat but haven't come across it yet.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I wish I bought it!

A little merc Mod 50 hull, Looks like a Hering to me.....This boat didn't race the day I took this picture, the owner hauled it to Kankakee to sell it.

Hopefully someone responsible is taking care of this little gem.

Thread Information