Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Some old OPC scans...

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willabee View Post
    After all of my reminding and correcting, you still can't get the "tomato soup" story right! My wife just read your version and said "That man has it all wrong", but we were laughing anyway because it is a fun memory. It was 72, the only time Peggy was able to join me on a trip to Europe. The plan was for her to stay with us through the Berlin Six Hour, but the boys cancelled the factory attendance at that event after seeing what they had left to race with after Paris. Lynne asked if we'd like to join you guys on the Gibraltar run, it sounded like it might be fun so we did. We had to kill a week before she could fly home anyway, adjusting her ticket to leave early would have been expensive. By the way, much to my regret, I was the one that insisted we eat at that particular restaurant. I was convinced that it looked "clean" !

Shifting gears, I recall that Jim Wagner was the #2 man in the OMC racing division. The impression I had was that Jack called the shots and Jim had to see that things got done. Get boats rigged, motors built, set a travel itinerary, etc. Are those the kind of things Jim was responsible for? Was he in charge when Jack was not around? How did that group function, who did what?
    Bill, you nailed it! Jim was the one to see that Jack's plans, thoughts, ideas, etc were implemented & implemented correctly. But just remember, Jack was the boss. At one race where my dad was at, perhaps one of the Miami 225's, Jack told him when you win, upper management loves you, when you lose you are the goat (he meant himself).
    Last edited by John Schubert T*A*R*T; 11-15-2014 at 06:14 AM. Reason: spelling

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MN1 View Post
    Clinton, IA was a good race site. I liked it because if you got tried of boat racing you could walk over to the car show. And when you got done with that walk over to the tractor pull. Then go see the rodeo and finish up with ice cream at the Burger King. Then back to the boat races. And carnival rides too. Cool place for boat races.
    Mark N
    Here's one from Clinton, IA too.
    Here is a pic of the Kramer hull (Rick Remley's #640 in the picture above) with Buddy Wright driving it in sport J.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Some more Sport J action shots. Ron Lamb is #13, Buddy Wright is #336, Terry Leatherby is in the Bass Pro shops boat and I don't know who #103 is.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thread Information