Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: History of 1100 Runabout

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1100 runabouts

Those are great pictures and the boats and motors look great as well. Jeff I agree more pictures.

Todd

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cullaby Lake, Seside OR appx 1995

Tim Diamond and Missi Diamond, leading Jason Diamond and Susan Rautenberg in some good old fashioned knee busting Mercury Fun!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sandwich

1100 R Brewster Wa, appx 1995. J Dub, myself, Norm Bunting, and Andy.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1100r

Jason,
    In your last picture you may have had a different rider at the end of the race that what you started with lol.
    Good picture of you and your dad always enjoyed racing against you both.
    Todd

Post Thanks / Like

That "sandwich" looks good going down the straightaway, but I hope they got spread out a little before the turn. Otherwise there may be some drinks served up as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Default High Five

Well I was the meat in the sandwich! We were so close that my rider Susan Rautenberg and JW's rider Mark Jackson reached across and touched hands. Running between those two flat deck DeSilvas was spooky, I was completely out of controll, and am not too proud to say I pulled the pin, before the pin. Nothing good was comming out of that corner. Live to race another day! We have talked about it for years though.
    Last edited by Jason Diamond; 03-04-2011 at 04:04 PM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1100r from 2008 - 2009 - 2010 DePue Nationals

Todd these are for you. I was looking back on old threads and thought you might enjoy these. There are a few of Richs' merc. I think , and am probably incorrect in saying , that his old motor can compete on the straightaways with the newer motors but he loses alot of ground in the turns. I believe it was 2009 that he blew one up in Constantine and could not get the other running right at DePue for the Nationals. 2008 was the last year J-Dub brought Howards old boat to run at the Nationals , always my favorite , even was I was a kid. The 1100r rig of Derek Gessler is just a rocket ship. He and Terry Klemm , in my opinion are the class of field when they keep them running. How cool would it be to have an antique 1100r class. The sounds of mercs and loopers echoing thru the Illinois River valley would be awesome. Not sure if there enough of them out there still running to make a full field !!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pictures

Dale,
    Thanks for sharing all of the pictures of 1100r. Seeing Derek, Terry(Duck as we know him), Thirlbys, Paul, and Howards rig bring back alot of good times.
    Seems funny how you post these and just yesterday Mike Krier calls me and wants me to fly back for this years Depue Nationals.
    I know years ago 1 Lon Stevens 6 cyl merc showed the Konigs around the race course so I still think that could be done, although I do not know anything on the new motors they run now, so I might be wrong here.

Seeing Dereck running here brings a smile as he and his dad were my teamates. I remember Dereck in the pits here driving me crazy when he would yank on my shirt and tell me all about my 44 when I ran mod. Best part he knew what he was talking about then at a young age.
    His dad and I used to take him for rides in our 1100's when testing and he always used to say let me drive and I will show you guys how its done. Guess he was right lol.

Thanks again Dale

Todd

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pictures

Need to add that it was always fun seeing and racing against Steve Litzall at the races as well as I forgot to mention him in the post above will hear about that Im sure lol. Steve is better known to me as (Bull moose). Had it not been for Steve's help in 2002 with my motor I would have sat on the beach for the Nationals after the Constatine race.

As many racers know and still say today boat racing is one big family and will help others. This is so true at least for me. Steve thought me alot on and off the course with his special tea, and great mud slides of course lol.

Thanks Bull Moose!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Just re-read this thread and have a couple comments. (surprise)

In the pictures above, the hex-head engine was mine. You can tell by the acorn head nuts. I saw it again a few years ago in the Harrison warehouse in Miami.

The F class suffered a black eye in my opinion after my brother, Ron beat the hell out of the F Hydros and F Runabouts with his Konig D. They change the rule to include a minimum size. In other words, you had to have 50-60 cubic inches. No more and no LESS.

The original 6 banger Mercs, like the fours were 2 7/16 bore and were therefore 40 and 60 ci. In the later years, and I'm not sure when, these engines were produced with 2 9/16 bore, making them the 44 and 66. So for practical reasons, the upper the limits for the Ds and Fs were increased.

When they decided to go to metric, the F class became the 1100 ccs.

Thread Information