Likes Likes:  0

Thread: British Anzani A & B Stock & Alky Racing Engines

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Pictured Close Up - Anzani B 348cc Stock Gas (UNITED KINGDOM)

Pictured real close up here was probably the last NOS, never started ever British Anzani B Stock gas engine left in the world at the time I assembled it out of a box some 5 years ago.

The stock gasoline fueled racing block is some 348cc with a bell shaped full width combustion chamber with 8 to 1 compression ratio as opposed to the 322cc Alky racing block used in North America that also featured a special Alky racing head with about half the CC volume raising the compression to some 14 to 1 as well the combustion chambers were offset to provide "squish" to make the compressed charge for Alky racing more turbulent for combustion than the stock version.

Of some interest was the Amal Monoblock round slide carb Anzani used for gasoline operation that worked very well but for Alky operation and greater amounts of air/fuel flow Bill Tenney the importer used OMCs Vacturi carb suitably venturi sleeved for North American class A or B Alky competitions.

Enjoy the pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

John, I found this pic among some of my Dad's stuff. I am not sure of the year, but Claude Fox sent it to my Dad for pre race publicity around 1967. It is an NOA photo and was among about a dozen my Dad failed to return to Claude. I can't really tell the numbers, but the first two may be M 72 and M 61. The Anzani looks to be on a Dubinski. The other motor might be a Konig. The exhausts look different. The others are Merc Quincys.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default The one of the left is an Anzani powered

For sure the hydro and engine on the left is an Anzani on some kind of hydro resembling a Jupiter by a different builder with some differences. I have heard and seen copies of that hydro before and they supposedly were some kind of copy of Hal Kelly's work. The other engines could have been Konig and even a Hot Rod?? Can you image here from time to time 12 boats in one heat and nearly all Anzani with a few of the others shaken in. I think most pictures from that era a going to be black and white based.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Jim Hallum sent some race DVD footage to toast

I just received a DVD from Jim Hallum containing race and kilo trials footage from the later 1950s into the 1970s of racing in Region 10. Now its a matter of toasting it for single pictures for various threads here in historical as well as posting to YouTube so everyone can enjoy the action to be done as soon as possible.

Dang it! Now I got to buy and install a DVD reader/burner now!

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Bill Tenney's Anzani expansion chamber pictures are some strange format?

I have some pictures of Bill Tenney's version of compteted expansion chambers for Anzani but the Jpeg format is some weird verison not recognized or is a variant of some kind that can not so far be reformated and posted here. I am sure there are readers around here that have better program knowlege than I have so who can I forward the pictures too so they can give it a crack and then they can post their results here? So far I am at a loss how to change their strange Jpeg format. Help would be greated apreciated. Please email me.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Where are the McCulloch Twin Cylinder Chainsaw Graveyards?

From Jim Hallum the key to producing a multi-carb (4 carb) Anzani was to attach a couple of reed valved bodies with Tillotson HL pumper carbs converted to Alky to the left forward crankcase half of the Anzani that were in front of the HL feeding the crank rotary and the block mounted Vacturi. Evidently the first reed valve bodies for the frontal carb installation were from McCulloch 2 cylinder chainsaws, the kind that cut down Douglas Fir and Redwood trees. Sometimes you see the odd twin carb, twin reed valve body crankcase mount assembly pop up on go kart racing sites and some times Ebay but are soon long gone when noticed at all. So where are the rest? Does anyone know of McCulloch chainsaw happy hunting grounds of parts banks anywhere to search? This stuff must still be around in some parts sheds where tall timbers grew?

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Saw tooth carb spacers?

Periodically there are the appearance of saw toothed sort of carb spacers put under the carb base used on British 2 strokes and 4 strokes that in some way alters intake airflow and stops the intake and crankcase from loading up or puddling with fuel? One turned up on Ebay but was off by the time I tried to see it. Did anyone else see that device? Can anyone give an overview on the technology involved and if was tried or seen anywhere else?

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default UK's - Corin Huke & Ron Champkin - Where are you?

Corin and Ron. You are the only 2 British Anzani enthusiasts and restorers that I know of in the United Kingdom. I have some news that will be of some British Anzani racing outboard interest for you. Another enthusiast of British Anzani racing outboards has turned up over there and he is eager to get talking with you. PLease contact me by email here at - catwerx@hotmail.com for details.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Class C Anzani

Jon I Owned And Raced Bill's 1st Two Headed Monster And It Never Lost A Race. I Have Photos Of The Engine But They Are At My Home In Temple Texas. It Was Very Heavy And Was Hard To Turn. After I Won The 1960 High Point Championship N.o.a. I Went Into The Service In 1961 And Dick Pond Ran Some Of My Equipment While I Was Away. I Have Many Stories From That Era. I Started In 1955 And Raced Until 1969. I Am Trying To Rebuild A 40h That Has Mumps Origin From Ko Turner It Had The 1st Cd Ingnition To My Knowledge And I Need A Tower Housing. Any Help?

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I never met you personally Floyd, but I recognized your name from the NOA Roostertails, and from a Forest Lake race newspaper from the 1968 NOA Nationals at Forest Lake, Minnesota. You are "The Man With The $1,200 Elbow". We're looking forward to your many stories.

Thread Information