Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: # 4 speedmaster longevity ...

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

PARKER RAN ONE ON 600 IB MARIAGE FOR A COUPLE YRS 260 WITH NOS TWO PEOPLE SOME WEEKENDS NO PROBLEM Mitch

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PARKER RABE View Post
    does any one know how long a number 4 speedmaster will last on a pleasure boat , im wanting to put one on my mirage and run it up and down the river on the summer weekends ... i heard that they should be gone thru and looked at , every 5 hours , the gears would have to be replaced at 10 hrs, along with the drive shaft? . is the rebuild really $3000 with the cost of parts and labor every 10 hrs? i also heard that you should change the oil everytime out .........

any info would be great . im not gonna race it , but i will stretch it out a few times over 8000.
    Pop Hubble , back in the mid 60's, told me that as long as do not use a prop bigger that what the unit was designed for it would last. I would guess that is why he used overdrive units on the OMC low RPM motors for record runs. He said that RPM will not hurt the unit however trying to control high HP with an over sized prop and your in trouble.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mitch - how did it feel compared to a big case ? Did you run it all summer ? How many hours did u put on it . ?? Do u have anypictures of the set up? What kind of prop did u run ?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Parkie, if a speedy ran on my barge it will work just fine on your boat. Buy it and go play!! Chris will tell ya they are a blast. Going to bolt his speedy on my boat again before too long.

Thread Information