Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DeSilva brothers

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2011............Modern Era???

The Yamato 80 was brought over here in 1976.....35 years ago. The motor is still running today......The number of people that have raced a Yamato is probably triple the current number of boat racers in America...........it is an OLD MOTOR but a good motor and a new 302 Yamato can be purchased for $2,200.....A BMX racing bike can cost that much.

So why aren't more people racing boats....In 1976 finding smooth water lakes was real tough, today, it is close to impossible.

I attended a water Ski race the other day. They race three heats per day. 30 minute Novice Marathon....20 plus boats raced.. Second race was a 40 minute Woman's Marathon. And the final race was 40 minute Men's Marathon. They raced on a lake that was NOT closed to the public. Water Ski Racer's skis are about as long as a C Hydro....

They started at 10. Finished at 2. They all, 50 or more boats, seemed to be having a great time. Nice boat, nice trailers, nice motor homes...nice bar-b-ques....

To my point. The DeSilva Delta is nothing more than a MOD VP bottom. A Mod VP boat can and has raced in the open ocean. The Delta DeSilva would have opened up hundreds of places to race that are considered too rough.

A stock Yamato on a "REGULAR" runabout needs water with less than 6 inch chop and no rollers....A Delta could probably go over 12 inch chop and two foot rollers.... Like many things, AHEAD of its time...
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 04-20-2011 at 11:38 AM.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default possibly something that had to do with banning was.......

it was approved by a Commission before one racing season. I wonder if the Commission that
    then took that approval away was the subsequent Commission from the next election. In other words enough different members who might not have approved it the first time and were elected to the subsequent Commission just for that purpose. As previously stated, I know there were petitions, etc., for ban it after initial approval. The next natural step if that did not work would be to change the Commission enough to get it done that way.

I have given all my old rule books away so have no reference anymore to see who was on the 86/87 Commission versus the next one. That might tell a lot about the situation to know all the personalities involved, if anyone is still that interested.

Post Thanks / Like

Default DeSilva runabouts

While visiting Harry Brinkmans stoage building a few years ago I took these pictures of two boats I was told were DeSilvas. They were brand new and at that time were for sale. I do not know if Mike Brinkman still has them or if they were sold.
    David
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by A/B Speedliner; 04-20-2011 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Picture size
    Old Race Boats Still Flip You Out

Post Thanks / Like

Delta also means 3 ... I thought delta referred to the 3 running surfaces.

I have a 12 ft Delta tunnel. Ron is right it can be run in water significantly rougher than is normally raced. 12 inch chop definitely ... maybe 18" rollers, not sure it would be really race-able in 2 foot rollers ... but unlike "regular" race boats, it wouldn't be in danger of sinking in 2 foot rollers.

My boat was the prototype given to Karl Williams to try with the antique classes. Karl and his son said they felt it had good straight line capability, but the front step on that particular boat was too tall and limited its turning ability.

I only ran it at one short course race and confirmed its speed (a very good 75+ at Denton MD) and poor turning. It also made an unacceptably big wake. I have altered it for better turning, but not yet for the wake problem. I am certain my boat's bottom differs from these significantly and my boat's poor handling are not characteristics shared with the rest.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A/B Speedliner View Post
    I took these pictures of two boats I was told were DeSilvas.
    One cannot mistake the lines and beautiful craftmanship of a DeSilva Runabout........I owned and ran two during my racing career. I always thought the way they made the cowlings was kinda' cool. They are made from single sided corragated cardboard, with a light glass covering. You can see the cardboard color in the pic on both boats. If you look under the cowling, you can see the corragated side of the cardboard as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Desilva

I agree they were very nicely built boats. I had 3 of them including one that also had a tunnel. The tunnel was not as severe as the one in the picture of the stock boat. Unfortunately I dnt have a picture of the bottom and I no longer have the boat. I raced it at Yelm Washington where I set a record with it in FER back in the late 80's or early 90's. At inspection the boat was deemed illegal due to the bottom and was put in the Mod Technical Manuel there after not sure if its still there or not. I did have the tunnel filled did not see any difference.

I would also like to know if anyone would knows what KR stood for have heard many stories all different.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kr???

Seems I once knew...

Here are a few pictures of MOD VP bottoms.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

bill boyes

Quote Originally Posted by 1100r View Post
    I agree they were very nicely built boats. I had 3 of them including one that also had a tunnel. The tunnel was not as severe as the one in the picture of the stock boat. Unfortunately I dnt have a picture of the bottom and I no longer have the boat. I raced it at Yelm Washington where I set a record with it in FER back in the late 80's or early 90's. At inspection the boat was deemed illegal due to the bottom and was put in the Mod Technical Manuel there after not sure if its still there or not. I did have the tunnel filled did not see any difference.

I would also like to know if anyone would knows what KR stood for have heard many stories all different.
    Kincades Revenge

Post Thanks / Like

Default As In Home Kincade???

Revenge....More details needed here!

WAS HOMER ALKY VP AT THE TIME???

bill boyes

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    Revenge....More details needed here!

WAS HOMER ALKY VP AT THE TIME???
    Could be. something to do with lifting rails?

Thread Information