Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DeSilva brothers

bill boyes

Steve is correct, I kinda got my facts crossed in search of a good story.
    Let me point out that Ralph is still ticked off about the Delta and has not but built a few Pro runabouts since. Best not to even bring the Delta up with him.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Yup he was!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Van Steenwyk View Post
    I had the wrong boat, but I'm pretty sure about the story surrounding the "Delta Runabout", the one I did reference. Looks as though the DeSilva's were not strangers to controversy, as is generally the rule when something is introduced that a lot of folks think might hurt the value of their past investment, no matter the reason (safety).

Steve, I'm glad you chimed in. I never knew before now there was a "story" about the KR Runabout, and it's introduction.

After all these years, it is hard not to appreciate the irony of that story, if Bruce was with one with the petition. I seem to remember he had the one of the first ones, or at least the first one that I can remember , and was unbeatable for a number of years with it.

It (77T) probably had one of the longest winning records of any runabout based on the number of years it was raced, as it won races for a very long time, probably several decades. Do you still have it??

ADD: I think the reason I was thinking about the Delta was because of the term "lift rails" If you ever saw a Delta, especially from the back, you would certainly think of that term if it were used about describing the looks of that runabout. I always thought it looked more like an OPC Mod VP Class boat than anything else, but of course much smaller.
    Hi Bill, yes the first KR that bruce and Raymond Jefferies bought together is back in Texas. Miss laurie was a great boat that won most of D runabout ( 700) championships since new. ( 1976 to 1986) the last year d was run. This boat was good with a B or a C but really was great with a D at the time. I'm very proud to be just another driver to win a championship driving this boat for Bruce along with a List of other greats. Bruce, Raymond, (I think) Wyatt Nelson, Tom Kirts Sr,. I know it looked good on my resume` as i won a lot with this boat and the Toyota motor. Even used it in F, ( 1100). I believe that this boat is the winningest boat made to date. it has a very rich history that I'm very proud to be a part of. The first semi delta boat was owned by Pete Voss. It had the delta slot on the outside only and then came the true delta. I think the semi Delta was the boat i tested for DeSilvas and OMC with a 45 motor at Lake Hamilton in the mid 80's. The OMC guy's did not like it much because it was faster than what they had for a Hydro and i could out turn the air trapper guy's that day. Gee i would like to be 30 again! Steve

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default a little more info about the "Delta"

After talking with Todd Jr. last nite, I found I was mistaken about a couple of facts with the boat he still has in his rafters. In addition to the testing I spoke about, it was raced 2-3 times before being banned by the action of the PRO Commission in the "re-look" posted about earlier. It was raced at the Nationals in 87 before being declared illegal after first being approved. Todd indicated it was running very well and he thought he had a good shot at the Championship but was forced into a bouy in a corner and was either disqualified or did not finish the heat. It was also blown over at a USTS race in Fulton NY the same year, but we had to cut the phone call short and I did not get the particulars on the accident. I assume it was with a 500CC engine as USTS was not running 700 Runabout at that time I don't think. It might have been the 4 cyl Yamaha owned by Kay Harrison. I was not at the race in Fulton for reasons I can't remember.

Jack Kugler did win the 250 Runabout Nationals the same year with a Delta, but it was not the same boat that Todd has. I'm glad Bill Boyes brought this subject up as some facts have come out that are a big part of the history of DeSilva Boats, and also the PRO Category.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Delta

Hi Guys,
    Great Stories about Bill and Ralph DeSilva. Great guys. Does anyone have pictures of the Delta. I raced a 250CC Runabout DeSilva (12'6") Konig combination until 1975 and never heard this story.Why was it outlawed?
    Thanks, Lee

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default picture of the Delta

Hi Lee:

At least one picture of the Delta runabout appeared in a thread here on BRF within the last year or so. It (the picture) was taken of one that I seem to remember was on a "boat lift" on a lake somewhere. The boat in question had been purchased by someone as I think a "lake racer" and the owner was asking some questions about it regards where it came from, what it had been used for, etc. You might try using the search feature here and type in Delta Runabout and see what you get. The thread might have possibly appeared in the "see my boat" forum or whatever that is called that appears on the forum information page. Sorry I can't be of more help. As per my description in a previous post, it reminded me very much of a small MOD VP boat with a center pod running surface, with a tunnel on either side of that. The two tunnels were in the shape of an inverted V. Since the Greek alphabet symbol for "Delta" is an inverted V, perhaps that is where the name came from. I have no personal knowledge of that as fact, just an assumption on my part, and you know how they spell "assume".

As to why the boat was banned after being initially approved by the PRO Commission, I was not privy to all the going's on during that time, as that was after my time on the commission. I do not know for sure just what the reason was for the "reconsideration and banning" after the initial approval, but since Kugler won a Nationals with it, it had to have been legal at that time, and as I am sure you know as well as anyone with your and Ron Anderson's friendship and motor builder association, if you have something that allows you to win or do well, that is often considered an unfair advantage, especially if there are only a very few others around. As I am sure you remember, the DeSilva's built boats like most racing boat builders do, one at a time, and there was often a wait for newer models. The person who took the risk with a new design, also took a chance that it would not be successful, and if it was, also bore the brunt of jealously or whatever else you might want to call it if everyone else did not have one also. As I recounted in a previous post, one of the drivers who took that risk, says to this day there was no speed advantage to the boat, only that it was much safer.

As mentioned, I was not privy to all that went on during that time, but having the benefit of listening to others who have recounted the story that were, and also knowing and having experienced some of (IMHO) the shortsightedness of those that were involved in that episode, and others since, I am confident I am very close to the actual happenings in the banning of the boat. There is a certain mindset in some folks that precludes anything new for whatever reason. It is sad when they have or get the power to influence others to vote to advance their own agenda and prejudice's, when it can impact the safety of racing or increase cost to participate by those who can least afford it, and consequently affect the number of people that now participate in our sport.

All that being said, that is the way a "democratic" racing organization works, and consequently one of the very reasons we find ourselves in the situation we are. Sometimes a "benevolent dictatorship" is a better way to go and I think that might be best for boat racing, at least with the present circumstances we find ourselves in.

ADD: Perhaps if Sam Cullis sees this post he may remember where the picture is. I think I remember he had some input on that thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Probably the best pics out there

Here you go Lee:
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Tim Weber
    Post Thanks / Like

Why the name Delta?

A triangle, which is used in math and science terminology, means change.

Yes, it was a change.

Tim

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Tim:

Thanks for the clarification/explanation about the name "Delta". Every little bit of information that can be added about the history of PRO racing is great and very helpful.

There was another boat built by the DeSilva's in a similar time frame to the Delta, only this was a hydro campaigned by Ron Schrilla (SP) from the New England area. It looked like a runabout from the standpoint of having a "pointy nose" but also had sponsons that were outside of the cockpit sides but only were about 2/3 the length of the total boat. Someone also had an unlimited boat that looked very similar several years ago, and that boat had a very public moment when it blew over on National TV and then just kind of "flopped" back down on the water right side up.

Unfortunately the Schrilla boat suffered the same fate at a USTS race in upstate New York. I think it was being run with either a 500 or 700 engine on it, and I am not sure about what happened to cause the blowover, but Ron did not race the boat again after that I don't believe. I don't remember what the bottom of the boat looked like, whether it was similar to the Delta, or had a conventional bottom with the sponsons ending at only approximately 2/3rds the length of the boat. It also looked small insofar as sponson length for the motor/HP being used on it. Whether it was actually overpowered for its size, and that was the cause of the blowover, I have no idea.

The DeSilva's were certainly not afraid to try new things, and those kinds of innovators are hard to come by when they risk their time, money, and reputation to build something that hopefully is safer and better. I can certainly understand the attitude about not building anymore PRO boats after what happened when the boat was initially approved a by the legally voted in Commission, and then that decision was overturned after boats had been built, sold, and raced, based on the feelings and attitudes of a small group of people after only one racing season. Especially as noted in an earlier thread about this boat and the PRO category, that the category is the place for innovation.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Delta

Thanks for all the information. It's a shame that this was approved and then revoked after it won some races. I don't blame the DeSilva brothers for being upset. On the other hand, I think it's an air packing tunnel with some kind of sponson/step up front. I don't know what the rules were during that period, but the commission must have seen something legal to approve the design. Maybe, it was the right direction for the Pro runabouts - especially with all the power they had.
    I alway thought they should have allowed (even today) a small step in the Pro runabout boats to help eliminate them from sticking to the water. This might cut have back on the blowovers.
    Thanks, Lee

Thread Information