Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: sst45 990 new owner

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default sst45 990 new owner

finally registered names Jason
    located in northern ky auto tech for a living and a gear head be water or land
    i bought the 990 bout out of michigan minus power

i plan on tryin to get to a few races with it once i get some expereince under my belt with them got a few questions for u guys
    what would be a good engine to use for power i need something i can find off a old fishing boat .lol that will makde good mph and speed so i can get a feel for the thing at the lake then as money allows ill upgrade to sst45 race stuff gona try and find something off the local craigslist whats size mid do i need to look for and what would be the max power to find.. new to these so please explain in dummy terms.. here she is at her new home for now until we move right by the lake in about a month... any help guys thanks

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

if any of u guys have action pics of this thing ot pics period id love to have them as well

Formula 1, SST45 Lee Motorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Jason,

First, welcome to the 45 class.

Second, you really need to go ahead and get an SST45 engine. Trying to run anything else on it to get a feel for the boat, IMO, won't do you any good. You can certainly use a "fishing" 44.9 ci powerhead/carbs for testing and experience purposes at the lake, but you need a shortshaft mid and racing gearfoot/props to learn how to drive it.

My Hoffman (same style as yours) likes to have the propshaft approximately 1/2" above the bottom of the sponsons. Seems to run really well there.

There are 45's out there for sale. Check with Dave Losvar at Sea-Way. I know they had a used 45 engine back in the warehouse a couple years ago. Maybe it is still there.

Feel free to ask any questions and also look at the Pro Tunnel Tour website for other 45 drivers.

Steve.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree. If you plan on racing it in the future start with real 45 stuff. Stuff that is not fast can be found and bought cheap because it is slow. But slow in racing terms is only a couple MPH. So even with all cheap stuff you will still get racing feel and compareable speeds. Then you will learn what you need to learn as you tinker. Best of luck.

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like the boat already has a midsection on it, that means you could most likely purchase a gearcase for $1500 max, and a powerhead for about $1500 also, for $3000 you will have a turn-key race ready rig, add some safety gear and your set.

You will have much more fun with the proper equipment, and it will be safer in terms of proper control, acceleration etc..

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Jason the best thing you can do is save for a full race outboard. It may take a few more paychecks but in the long run it will save you some headaches. Plus when it's all said and done you will be race ready. Good luck Have fun.

Formula 1, SST45 Lee Motorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Jason,

It looks like your boat is in this video from 2009 San Diego.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu6hI...eature=related

Thread Information