Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: KG-9H question

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default KG-9H question

I've asked this question on John's OM Site and never got an answer. Maybe someone over here could help?

As you can see in the photo (taken 50 years ago!) my old KG-9H had a dual fuel line, which suggests a pressure fuel system, the hand pump, and the pressure gage. HOWEVER, it also had that Carter (as I recall) automotive type fuel pump.

What was that for?

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kg-9

I have the engine and the manual. I will check today. I know I have the parts for the old mechanical pump. Photo is the answer. Note the single line connector. This system is on the KF-9 which has the pump. I beleive that the Mark 40, Mark 40-H and the Mark 50 all had 2 line fuel systems but I will check. Your photo shows the single line system with the pressure line not attached.

Just checked my engines and the Mercury parts catalogue. The KF-9, KG-9, KG-9-1 all have pumps and a none pressurized fuel tank. The Mark 40, 40-H, Mark 50 which all have sand cast blocks have the two line pressure systems. The pump was used to prime the fuel system in that the tank or line did not have a pump. Hope this helps.
    Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kg-9

Here is a photo of the fuel connector that is common to the KF-9 and the KG-9. I have also included a scan of my old 1956 parts manual. Note that the Mark 40 is the first to use a pressure system. Your photo seems to show a pressure fuel line with only the fuel side hooked to the KG-9 connector. Note that on the block the pressure covers is item 20 and the parts list identifies it only for the Mark 40. Hope this helps.

Alan

Post Thanks / Like

I hate the use of uncompressed .pdf files on the internet. .pdf was intended for the printing industry and serves them well. For us, it presents the same data (images or text) but takes up 3 to 10 times as much memory space and download time as conventional image file types.

Here are the 2 .pdf's converted to .jpeg ... considerably smaller files, and openable by web browsers (unlike .pdf's which can not be directly opened by browsers).
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Terrific! Thanks. I've wondered about that for years.

Thinking back about that motor (waaaay back!) I recall the guy I bought it from in 1961 raced hydros. He probably got the tank he sold me with the motor from a later, pressure tank setup. I recall now that I had to pump that hand fuel pump to build pressure (instead ofg the usual bulb in the line). The Carter fuel pump then took over--a nice system!

Thanks again for taking the time and effort to clear that up.

Jeff

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

A real KG-9H has an AC mechanical fuel pump which is driven off an eccentric on the idler gear between the crankshaft gear and the one on the magneto shaft. I had one as a kid- #406743- and cracked the pump housing. Even then it was NLA from Mercury so I had to jury rig it and put up with it leaking grease. I ran it on a runabout that was a retired Winnebago Marathon boat and it was the fastest boat on our area of Green Bay. I took off the new-fangled recoil and bought a brand new chromed rope flywheel for it, cutting the top casting to fit it on. I threw out the goofy linkage and heavy front casting mount for it and made a simple linkage to lock the mag and then used the throttle control to just work the carbs like a 2 cyl does. And on a good day, I'd pull off the exhaust side cover to antagonize the neighbors. It made the neatest blue flames at dust. The boat didn't have running lights so I certainly couldn't run it in real darkness. But then I was a kid and we were pretty isolated!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

An AC pump--I thought it was a Carter. My memory is going bad after 50 years!

Thanks for the confirm, and the neat story. I did the same throttle thing on mine--the previous owner, actually. It caught fire one day and--being quick thinking back then--I deliberately sunk the boat to put it out (which was easy to do. eing an 8 footer, it was hard to NOT keep it from sinking!) My brother helped me drag it to our place and, after drying it out (I never pulled the mag cover when I owned it) she was running again the next day--with the fuel leak fixed, natch.

Sure wish I had that beauty today.

Jeff

Thread Information