Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Bass/Tohatsu D motor!

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Bass/Tohatsu D motor!

I have been working with the APBA and Bass Machines to help get this motor fully approved.
    You can read all about the latest news at my webpage. I also have a bunch of pictures posted there.
    Let me know what you think about this new motor.

Jeff's tohatsu page
    Jeff Yungen

Post Thanks / Like

Angry to bad

To bad it doesnt say something that is AMERICAN made , but I guess thats the way life is these days.

Post Thanks / Like

Default My motor

This is my Bass/Tohatsu D stock racing engine. I have yet to take delivery of the motor. Once Bass machines is finished with it, it will go to Mike Weinandt's shop for dyno testing. There it will be tested side by side with a competitive Merc 44xs. I'll share with everyone any dyno test result info I recieve. After Mike is done with it, I'll get it! Then the fun will begin!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by jeff55vDSH; 07-11-2005 at 06:31 AM. Reason: changed photo size
    Jeff Yungen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Finished product.

Here's the finished product. You'll see the addition of the "Competition only" sticker on the side. That's a requirement by the E.P.A. But I think it looks cool anyway! If it were up to me I'd make the sticker on the side read "For Butt kickin' only!" But I guess that's not my call.
    The motor has been shipped to Weinandt Performance Technology for evaluation. Mike is very busy at his shop right now. When he gets info to me, I'll let everyone know what he finds. (Gee, I hope it doesn't overload his dyno! )

BTW, Except for a couple bearings in the lower unit, The towerhousing and lower unit are 100% American made.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jeff Yungen

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Jeff, May you kick butt and take names

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bass gears

David, I'm afraid you heard wrong. Sid and Neil Bass have the gears made for them here in the U.S. I don't know exactly WHO makes them. But I guess I could find out more. Better yet, I'll alert Neil to this thread.
    Jeff Yungen

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

the 50D is a good moda, the crank being it's weak point, once thats set and the ports are alined with the case, she cranks up change the top plate and the drive shaft spline, and you could put any powerhead up thare.

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

dose it have a water pump? the impeler kind with a pick up?

Post Thanks / Like

Default more info...

Yes the Bass Lower unit/Tower use a water pump impeller in combination with a force feed water pickup. I think the idea is, once the water pressure at the force feed pickup becomes great enough (high speed), the water pump impeller blades pretty much freewheel inside the water pump housing.
    I'll attach an introductory document about the Bass/Tohatsu motor and test results from 2004 to this post.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jeff55vDSH; 08-31-2005 at 07:04 AM. Reason: added more info.
    Jeff Yungen

Post Thanks / Like

Default questions answered...

Quote Originally Posted by David_L6
    I don't need to know what company actually makes the gears. Who cares as long as they are good gears?! From what I've heard from most people that use that unit, they have "good gears".

Why don't they slim down, sharpen the leading edges, etc. of that unit?
    David, I hear ya loud and clear about the gears. I agree.

Neil sent me an Email in response to your question about the gearcase shaping, or lack of it.

" We do very little to the leading edge of the lower unit to keep the costs down. We have sold about 100 units to the mod folks who can do anything they want with the shape. Some have improved on the skag leading edge, but I have no idea if helped. We intend to keep the stock units as they are so as not to make it too much faster than the 44xs and to keep costs down.
    Neil "
    Jeff Yungen

Thread Information