Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Bass/Tohatsu D motor!

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

a set of 70hp carbs, (set the crank) snip the gray wire comin out the black box,
    clip the head, hit it at 18deg. that will wake it up,
    so hows much for the mid, braket and the foot?ya got a shot of the mid with out the foot?( would like to see the mounting surface maybe need a foot with mo beef) ware is the water pick up on that foot? 10" mid? hows manys hp thay thinkin the foot will take?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Would This Be A Legal 45SS???

Looks like this sucker would "ROCK" on a tunnel...Why not 45SS Division II???

Ross, don't read this!!!

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

was thinkin the same on the foot, , but maybe thay over built it,

a universal mid would be cool

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

15", need a 15"mid

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tower and lower unit info...

The towerhousing is 8.5". I think it's the same as the 44xs.
    I think when Bass Machines originally designed the lower unit, they had Modified outboard racing in mind. I've heard from several people it's one of the few lower units that will hold up well under the 3 cylinder OMC FE beast! So it should last a long time under a tame little 50hp motor.
    Neil wrote me the following...
    " We have successfully run the lower unit under lots of modified OMC 75 HP engines, a highly modified 1100 cc 6 cylinder merk MK 75, and other engines. We shaped the lower unit to avoid the unit riding the surface as does the 44xs and the 45ss unit (rock, swerve and role). Talk with the FE drivers to get a sense of the performance.
    Neil "

I tried to attach a document (doc) to tell more about the products. But I'm having trouble with the filesize. It's too large for the forum to accept. I'm outta computer time for today. Maybe I can think of a way to get around it and post it tomorrow.

Hey Fred, It sounds like you've already had a lot of experience with the M50D2 powerhead. How did you come to know so much about it? Inflatables? Or Mod racing? Or...? I have a lot to learn about the motor, and can't wait to get started!
    Jeff Yungen

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

make the crank look like this ( take it to someone), then you can crankit up,
    mains and throws, take it to a cycle drag crank guy, then you can beat the bag out of it and she'll stay together , other wise, well you know
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up welded cranks

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Fred
    make the crank look like this ( take it to someone), then you can crankit up,
    mains and throws, take it to a cycle drag crank guy, then you can beat the bag out of it and she'll stay together , other wise, well you know
    I used to ride standup jetskis in "BIG SURF". It didnt take long to find out the pined cranks were a weak link. The constant loading and unloading would kill a crank in no time!!!
    I got very good at pulling cranks out of the KAWI 440,550,and 650cc motors and puting them on a lathe with a dial indacator to check the runout befor welding them.

(Beat the bag out of it!) That was the hardest part!!!
    Make a mark on the crank ware the run out was, pull it out of the lathe hold it in your hand and "wack it" with a 5# deadblow hammer. put it back on the lathe and re check the run out !!!! (Repete as needed until the crank is strait and true!) this could take some time!

Once the crank was welded it was bullet proof

If I were going to buy the Bass D I would weld the crank just for peice of mind
    Jeff 93-C

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David_L6
    D stock Jeff.... That may not be legal in stock.
    Good point David. Crankshaft welding is something that prolongs an engines longevity. It is not a speed advantage. Common sense would say that it should be legal. HOWEVER, since this is APBA S.O. I'm dealing with here, I'd better see if I can suggest that to the techical commitee to include that in the rulebook.
    Jeff Yungen

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

it will lose it's index, or worse if ya try to push it past the rev limiter with out settin the crank, for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Weld the Frigging Cranks

Stock my ***!!!! A new Runne OMC "A" is $2,000 without a gearcase!!!! (Gary Lewis just bought one)...

And what does it REALLY COST to make a YAMATO RUN????? WHat is the cost of a YAMATO without a welded crank??? Seems to me, welding the Yamato would make sense, too...

DAREN...TELL US...

Weld the FRIGGING Cranks and get i over with...and if they have rev limiters, get a hold of Sean Hill at RAPAIR and get rid of that "SUCKER", too...

NASCAR...S is for STOCK.....about as Stock as Stock Outboard....

I'd love to see a STOCK OUTBOARD CLASS!!!!!! (Like they sell at ANY BOAT SHOP USA!!!!!)....

Thread Information