Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Bass/Tohatsu D motor!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RonHill
    Stock my ***!!!! A new Runne OMC "A" is $2,000 without a gearcase!!!! (Gary Lewis just bought one)...

And what does it REALLY COST to make a YAMATO RUN????? WHat is the cost of a YAMATO without a welded crank??? Seems to me, welding the Yamato would make sense, too...

DAREN...TELL US...

Weld the FRIGGING Cranks and get i over with...and if they have rev limiters, get a hold of Sean Hill at RAPAIR and get rid of that "SUCKER", too...

NASCAR...S is for STOCK.....about as Stock as Stock Outboard....

I'd love to see a STOCK OUTBOARD CLASS!!!!!! (Like they sell at ANY BOAT SHOP USA!!!!!)....
    Ron, damn it, I knew this was going to happen! FYI, to make a "stock" Yamato run, it costs an EXTRA $800-900, on top of the purchase of the engine! Atleast you can buy a "stock" 302 foot for $450 ish. The darn OMC costs even more to "make it fast", plus the puchase of the $900ish foot.....but, the foot is "ready to go", shaped and contoured.....

there is NO stock motor anymore......and I doubt there really ever was. Now Ron, how "stock" are Chad's 45 powerheads??????

stock ain't fast, MODIFIED stock IS!!!

Daren "mercguy" has just left the building............
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeff55vDSH
    The towerhousing is 8.5". I think it's the same as the 44xs.
    I think when Bass Machines originally designed the lower unit, they had Modified outboard racing in mind. I've heard from several people it's one of the few lower units that will hold up well under the 3 cylinder OMC FE beast! So it should last a long time under a tame little 50hp motor.
    Neil wrote me the following...
    " We have successfully run the lower unit under lots of modified OMC 75 HP engines, a highly modified 1100 cc 6 cylinder merk MK 75, and other engines. We shaped the lower unit to avoid the unit riding the surface as does the 44xs and the 45ss unit (rock, swerve and role). Talk with the FE drivers to get a sense of the performance.
    Neil "

I tried to attach a document (doc) to tell more about the products. But I'm having trouble with the filesize. It's too large for the forum to accept. I'm outta computer time for today. Maybe I can think of a way to get around it and post it tomorrow.

Hey Fred, It sounds like you've already had a lot of experience with the M50D2 powerhead. How did you come to know so much about it? Inflatables? Or Mod racing? Or...? I have a lot to learn about the motor, and can't wait to get started!
    I converted the file to a .pdf and Adobe resized it to the original file size.

If you don't have Acrobat Reader to open this file, click this link to download the free version:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

-
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bingo

Quote Originally Posted by mercguy
    Ron, damn it, I knew this was going to happen! FYI, to make a "stock" Yamato run, it costs an EXTRA $800-900, on top of the purchase of the engine! Atleast you can buy a "stock" 302 foot for $450 ish. The darn OMC costs even more to "make it fast", plus the puchase of the $900ish foot.....but, the foot is "ready to go", shaped and contoured.....

there is NO stock motor anymore......and I doubt there really ever was. Now Ron, how "stock" are Chad's 45 powerheads??????

stock ain't fast, MODIFIED stock IS!!!

Daren "mercguy" has just left the building............

Nice Darren. It is called racing, people will from the very nature of the definition of racing will try to find an edge. Create an off the shelf class, then the next season tell me if anyone has "blueprinted" the engines.................. Off the shelf motors are usually junk compared to what we use. The tolerences at factories are controled by Jose on the assembly line and if he got to drunk last night he might not set up the tooling right, etc. Off the shelf sucks, and I would never support it. Turn a stock off the shelf OMC 49.9 CI motor on a racing tower and lower unit, at 9000 RPM and let me know if your teeth are still intact.

Post Thanks / Like

Dave, I have no trouble with blueprinting in stock - until it allows work that makes a "blueprinted" motor better than each and every motor made by the factory - even by the guys that weren't hung over and carefully set up their machines every time.

Blueprinting to match is fine, blueprinting to exceed ruins "stock" for everyone

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RonHill
    Stock my ***!!!! A new Runne OMC "A" is $2,000 without a gearcase!!!! (Gary Lewis just bought one)...
    Maybe if people would quit paying those prices, they wouldn't keep going up. A DiFebo A complete in Fall of 2002 was $2,000. He wanted $2,500 for one this Spring. Now we are at $3,000 for a Runne. You can still find decent A motors for under $2,000. It would help if all of the ones sitting in the barn would come on the market. The only thing rare is the prices and the number of people who can/will work on them.
    Mike Johnson

World Headquarters

Portland, Oregon USA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cameraboy
    Maybe if people would quit paying those prices, they wouldn't keep going up. A DiFebo A complete in Fall of 2002 was $2,000. He wanted $2,500 for one this Spring. Now we are at $3,000 for a Runne. You can still find decent A motors for under $2,000. It would help if all of the ones sitting in the barn would come on the market. The only thing rare is the prices and the number of people who can/will work on them.
    I remember Phillip DiFebo telling me at the Nat's, that he wanted $2000 for an A motor, MINUS foot!! If you think about it, he has already done the "added" $900 or so of work to the powerhead, so is not really out of line on what an A motor will cost to go fast!

but, think about this.....in about 5yrs, the Hot Rod A motor will be out there..........prices will sink for the OMC's!

I have seen Yamato 80/102/302's advertised for sale for around $2000 and have had a hard time selling. But, some of these motors were JUST gone through by either TJ, Goller, Davids, etc, which would add another $800 or so to the price of buying the "stock unopened" motor, which would probably cost around $1500.......so, in the long run, is easily worth the $2000, of which the motor probably sold for around $1700-1800.
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Post Thanks / Like

Default I agree......

Quote Originally Posted by David Mason
    Nice Darren. It is called racing, people will from the very nature of the definition of racing will try to find an edge. Create an off the shelf class, then the next season tell me if anyone has "blueprinted" the engines.................. Off the shelf motors are usually junk compared to what we use. The tolerences at factories are controled by Jose on the assembly line and if he got to drunk last night he might not set up the tooling right, etc. Off the shelf sucks, and I would never support it. Turn a stock off the shelf OMC 49.9 CI motor on a racing tower and lower unit, at 9000 RPM and let me know if your teeth are still intact.

I agree 100% with ya Dave........
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H
    Dave, I have no trouble with blueprinting in stock - until it allows work that makes a "blueprinted" motor better than each and every motor made by the factory - even by the guys that weren't hung over and carefully set up their machines every time.

Blueprinting to match is fine, blueprinting to exceed ruins "stock" for everyone
    Sam, can you explain what you mean by "blueprinting to exceed"?? The stock commission has given the guidlines for each motor to which all can have done.......leveling the field. Although, it makes it very tough for the new driver that just started racing with limited funds. But, in a few years, he or she then has the ability to reach the next level. This is sort of the way it went for me. I know alot of new racers get frustrated (I did!) because they are getting beat constantly and some just give up. Well, it takes time and MONEY to get to the top, if someone says otherwise, then that is horsecrap!
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

thats when ya throw 60 thou in to the exhaust ports, and then cover it up
    so ya can't tell it was mest with, or ya clip the head an extra 20 thou, and lay a ton O' paint on the top of the head so she mesures up right, that kinda stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

No, Fred, none of that would pass an APBA inspection. Even the most blind inspector would find that kind of work

Quote Originally Posted by mercguy
    Sam, can you explain what you mean by "blueprinting to exceed"?? ........ it takes time and MONEY to get to the top, if someone says otherwise, then that is horsecrap!
    Where blueprinting is allowed, with the intent to make any motor as good as the best motor from the factory, blueprinting is very good. When allowed blueprinting intentionally produces motors that exceed the best factory motor - it is no longer normal blueprinting; that is altering to increase performance.

I agree with you 100% on your last statement. Those who think otherwise are just looking for instant gratification

Thread Information