Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coachella Valley Water District Cancels SO Winter Nationals

Post Thanks / Like

Default Coachella Valley Water District Cancels SO Winter Nationals

On behalf of SCOA,

We regret to inform our fellow racers that the 2011 Winter Nationals are not going to be held in Indio, Ca on March 12-13. We have decided to let the SORC decide what to do next. To make a long story short...I am posting the direct correspondence between Ernie Dawe and the Coachella Valley Water District.

To: jeff conant
    Sent: Mon Feb 07 16:20:17 2011
    Subject: Re: APBA/SORC loan

Jeff, I am going to call you this evening as we are getting a runaround from the ranger and the county. I want to fill you in and I will know more later if the county gets back to Bill. Ernie
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To: jeff conant
    Sent: Mon Feb 07 21:10:58 2011
    Subject: Re: APBA/SORC loan

Jeff, I was going to call you tonight but I will wait until tomorrow after I have talked to the Coachella Valley Water District. I have been on the phone 1/2 the day with Bill Sandberg and even drove out to the lake. The ranger says we need a plan to take care of any fuel spill that might occur, do you have any thoughts? Also, when I talk to the water district I have to find out about the mussel that is a problem. They are requiring things that have never been required and I hope that Bill and I can solve this. Talk to you later. Ernie
    To: eurban@cvwd.org
    Cc: jeff conant; rcinr12@aol.com
    Sent: Tue Feb 08 11:30:19 2011
    Subject: races at Lake Cahuilla

Mr. Urban, enclosed is our plan for the fuel and for the zebra mussel. I hope that this meets with your approval, if not please let me know. If you would prefer one of your people to inspect, please let me know, if our inspectors will do could you get me inspection guidelines for them to follow? Thank you for your help. Ernie Dawe

For fuel: We will require that all boats be fueled out of the water and have something under them while fueling to catch any fuel that is spilled. In case of an accident our reuse boats will have some absorbent pads to pick up any spilled fuel. Most of the boats only have a fuel tank that holds less than 1 gallon and in some classes the boats have a system where by the gas cannot escape when upside down.

The Zebra Mussel: At all of our events all boats must be safety inspected before they are allowed on the water. If it is acceptable to you and you can provide us with inspection guidelines, they,our inspectors,will also inspect for the mussel. We would be willing to pay for an inspector if you feel it is necessary. The inspector would need to be there around 6 am to inspect the boats and should not be over an hour. These boats are never stored in water and 99% of them will not have been in the water for at least 3 months. We will also provide a way to wash them if necessary.
    Please advise me as to the acceptability of our plan and any other requirements that you might have. Thanks for your time and help. Ernie Dawe
    To: DawecraftBoats@aol.com
    Sent: Tue Feb 08 14:08:14 2011
    Subject: RE: races at Lake Cahuilla

Ernie, after further review we will not be able to allow the use of your boats on the Lake at this time. Sorry for the inconvienance.

Re: races at Lake CahuillaTuesday, February 08, 2011 4:53:45 PMFrom: "Eric Urban"
    To: "DawecraftBoats@aol.com"
    Sorry Ernie, This has now become a direct order from the assistant GM. We spend well over a million each year to prevent the Quagga and other species from entering our system. If by any chance they were to get into our piped system it would cost us many more times that to get rid of them. Since there is no way to be 100% sure we will not take a chance. I have also instructed Riverside County to not get anyones hopes up in the future.

Sorry I could not assist you in this. Eric
    To: EUrban@cvwd.org
    Sent: Tue Feb 08 17:01:06 2011
    Subject: Re: races at Lake Cahuilla

Mr. Urban, this is more than an inconvenience to us as we have people who have purchased tickets to fly here and also made reservations. It also makes it impossible for our Association to plan and hold this event somewhere else. We used to hold these races for many years and never had a problem and I don't see how it could be a problem now. Thanks for your response. Ernie Dawe

My opinion...as SCOA Race Director...All the hard work our club has put into making this happen is for not. All because off the poor communication between CVWD, Riverside County, and Lake Cahuilla. With the help of APBA Legal Council, SCOA is looking into a possible small claims court suit to recoup lost expenses. Our original proposal to deal with the muscle and gas spill threat, was approved by the CVWD and the Lake. County approved our insurance coverage from K+K/APBA. Lake Cahuilla Park has already cashed our rental check as was ready for the event. The CVWD found a way to once again stifle boat racing in Region 12. Heck, the lake is fed by the Colorado River..it is infested with the muscles. Riverside County is extremely disappointed in the decision made by CVWD, and has requested copies of all correspondence between SCOA and the CVWD. So bummed....our club and region is devastated over the decision the CVWD made.

Jeff Conant
    SCOA Race Director

Post Thanks / Like

Default Winter Nationals

Jeff,

I don't think you should talk about a lawsuit, I think you should enter into one. Have everyone around the country submit their lost expenses, plus punitive damages, of say a million dollars for breach of contract.
    I also think you should write a press release and send to all local newspapers stating the damages done to their area. Explain (in exaggerated terms) the costs that the "Water Boys" are costing their local merchants.
    Also we need to generate documentation that shows that our boats running on their lake will do no more damage to their lake than a fish worm does on a hook, and noting that their action is illegal, capricious, and intended to do harm to many people. Not just our racers are victims of their action but the hundreds of local people who enjoy the races and look forward to them each year.
    Provide us with names and addresses of people we can write to make or case--a few letters for a few distant states would carry some weight, particularly if published in the local papers.
    I believe the decision is still reversible or at least assure us of good treatment in the future.

Allen J. Lang

This is a bummer deal. My wife and I were looking to book a motel and attend. I am an old time stocker and really enjoyed meeting some of the current racers at the Parker and looking forward to meet up with others. My wife hasn't been able to get out for sometime and was really looking forward to this trip. When you will work with someone on a big event like this and a lot of time has been put in from volunters and many having made plans for time off and some flying in really makes this a tragic affair especially for those driving so far and last minute canx.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm Not Dead Yet

Jeff,

Your notes say the following: muscle and gas spill threat, was approved by the CVWD and the Lake. County approved our insurance coverage from K+K/APBA. Lake Cahuilla Park has already cashed our rental check as was ready for the event.

Do we have a signed letter of agreement? Please send me a copy of both sides of our check to Lake Cahuilla and copies of any other solid proof of our "contract" I'll go to Indio tomorrow and present it to a judge and get a restraining order to nullify the cancellation. These guys can't jerk us around this way.

If you want me to help, give me the go-ahead and send me copies of all documentation

Russ

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Are any boats allowed on the lake for recreation purposes? If so, their justification is not valid.

Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cancelled Rooms and Flights

Yo,

I have cancelled rooms and flights..... which had been revised two times before.

Thanks Ernie and Jeff for all your work. It is totally not your fault.

The reasons for not letting us on the lake have obviously been there for months.

To cancel us on this short notice is the most un-professional thing I have ever seen.

See you at the races.

Dean.............................................. .................
    Dean Hobart

Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Right Off Their Web Site Home Page

This is right off their web site home page.

"Friendly smiles and courteous, professional service greet those who visit Coachella Valley Water District facilities."

Go figure..............................
    Dean Hobart

Post Thanks / Like

Default No Boats. No Contact...

Quote Originally Posted by fyremanbill View Post
    Are any boats allowed on the lake for recreation purposes? If so, their justification is not valid.
    Race boats are the only boats on the lake...or it used to be!

10 Million dollar law suit sounds better...After we won, we could buy the lake!

The APBA Stock Outboard Chairman is an attorney! Oh, I forgot, APBA sanctions races, collects fees, counts points......and sells insurance!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

"Do we have a signed letter of agreement? Please send me a copy of both sides of our check to Lake Cahuilla and copies of any other solid proof of our "contract" I'll go to Indio tomorrow and present it to a judge and get a restraining order to nullify the cancellation. These guys can't jerk us around this way."

"If you want me to help, give me the go-ahead and send me copies of all documentation"

Russ

The CVWD should be held responsible for all flight, hotel and other non-refundable expenses AND the time spent on making said arrangements!
    This is a BS deal and these guys need to be held accountable, there is a
    complete breach of contract here and pain and suffering in the form of frustration and loss of tradition. The communities surrounding the lake will also suffer, we probably would have conservatively rented aproximatly 300 or so hotel/motel nights, that adds up pretty quickly!
    We all should take the initiative and writ every newspaper in the whole region explaining the situation
    We have been pinched out of too many spots in region 12 we can sure use outside support!

Thanks,

Bunker

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cvwd....

ADD>>>>
    Please let the people at the Coachella Valley Water District (CVWD)
    know how you feel and what you think!!
    Contact them at:
    www.cvwd.org/contact.php

Please vent there!

Thanks!!

Bunker Hill

Thread Information