Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: dillon mini v ?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default dillon mini v ?

Hello .thinking about building a dillon mini v ,but was wondering if a 50 hp would work with the right structurial set up ,they are only set up for a 25-40 hp,no one seems to wont to coment on this ,i really prefer the glass boats and looking for a hull that needs work as well ,checkmate ,critchfield,allison anything 13-16 foot thanks

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just built one that will use a 70 hp Merc triple, but you'll have to wait a few months to see how it runs. (So will I, dang it!)

Per Bob Dillon's site, somebody slapped a 50 Yamaha on one (with a stock LU, I presume) and it nearly hit 60 mph.

Jeff

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The Dillon has a pretty broad nose. I'd be afraid that if you got it going too fast it would want to blow over. Probably not an problem with 35 hp, but the faster you go the more it's going to be an issue.

If you are going to put bigger power on it I'd trim the nose some or plan on moving some weight forward to keep it from taking off. JMHO...

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Good advice. Since my boat gets used as a dingy (suspended sideways off the stern of our 32 footer), I had to drastically shorten the near 12 foot Mini Vee down to just over 9 feet. That eliminated what could get whacked on a piling while pulling up to the gas dock, and may have eliminated your "blow over" threat as well. We'll see.

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowjacket View Post
    The Dillon has a pretty broad nose. I'd be afraid that if you got it going too fast it would want to blow over. Probably not an problem with 35 hp, but the faster you go the more it's going to be an issue.

If you are going to put bigger power on it I'd trim the nose some or plan on moving some weight forward to keep it from taking off. JMHO...
    It's certainly true that there is no problem with 35hp. I've also tested with a 40 Nissan/Tohatsu (2-cylinder). Went 50 mph and showed no signs of excessive bow lift. Beyond that I couldn't say.

It's worth noting that I designed this boat for the 31.8 cu. in. 25/35 OMC motors we use in Mini GT and GT Pro.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Tunnelboat and V-bottom Plans for 15-35 hp, 40-60 hp, 60-80 hp

Dillon-Racing.com also on YouTube, on Facebook, on Twitter

Thread Information