Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Jimbo McConnell--The Wizard of OZ

Post Thanks / Like

A good photo of Jimbo.
    Mark N

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jimbo's Zorkan

This 99-C is Jimbo's Horse Chamber AU, January 1, 1961. This was an era that we felt Jimbo would never make it in this boat racing world. Jimbo ran four classes this day and failed to make a podium finish in any class. Everyone loved Jimbo, but we didn't think he'd make in this boat racing world.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 01-07-2017 at 12:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jimbo and Ted 1970, Coming Home From Galveston

This was in July 1970, just before Jimbo and I both happened to buy new 1970 El Camino's, both also happened o be gray.

Jimbo and I show up at the Needles Marathon, September, 1970 with new El Camino's. Ted is driving his Ford Ranchero. I just happened to ask Ted, "When are you getting your El Camino?" Jimbo, over hearing our conversation, walks over to me an elbows me hard and says, "Nice weather."

Monday morning, Ted is on the phone to Jack Leek at OMC wanting to know, "Where the hell was his new El Camino..." It was a few years before Ted ever believed that Jimbo and I "Happened" to both buy new gray El Camino's.

Of course, Jimbo and I kept "Turning the screws" with Ted.....

ADD:

Ted knew that OMC had paid me $.25 a mile when they used my 1968 Chevy wagon, and that OMC basically paid for my car. How that 25 cents a mile got started, i said, "Look Jack, this is a new car, Hertz charges you gave 25 cents a mile for a rent car. You want me to pull a boat to Miami for just gas money??? I ain't going and Ted's truck won't make the trip...I said, 12 1/2 cents a mile for me and 12 1/2 for Ted is a bargain..."But the time my '68 wagon got back to California, it had an extra 8,000 miles. OMC paid my $2,000 for that trip to Miami, to Waukegan, to Texas, to California. Plus they bought the gas....Hell, no wonder OMC went broke!!!!

I think I only paid $3,800 for the car when I bought it.

Probably, not a day goes by without me thinking of Ted May. Something always happens and I say....."Ted May."

LAST ADD:

I loved those twin and triple engine boats. The crowds loved them, they were a real "Blast" to drive. They weren't that fast, 108 or so, but would get through some very tall water with ease. I always thought Single Engines "Sucked".
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 05-07-2012 at 10:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default My Own Story About Water Moccasins

I left Ted May and Paul Drake with my '68 wagon in Miami. I rode to Waukegan in the OMC Race truck with Rich McKinley. Paul and Ted went to a race in Texas, then came up to DePue and met me.

Paul was from Massachusetts and his speech was always a bit hard to understand, plus he may have had a speech problem. We all knew Ted May had a speech problem....Paul and Ted are talking about all the water moccasins at the race in Texas. THEY SAID THEY WERE OUT THERE AND WATER MOCCASINS WERE EVERYWHERE.

I don't think I ever knew the true story until I met Joe Rome at the LSBRA Reunion in Texas......Hyacinths, not moccasins.....Trouble was, once you got used to "TED MAY STORIES" it was hard to figure out the truth....I never believed they were racing boat near water moccasins.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 11-21-2022 at 03:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mojave River: Jimbo McConnell Sets A World Record

More details later, but this is Jimbo driving his D Runabout in the Mojave River. What do you know about the Mojave River?
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 12-02-2018 at 06:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Mojave River Is The Only River

The Mojave River is the only river west of the continental Divide that does not end up in the Pacific Ocean. What water that is there goes out in the desert and drives up. When you go through Victorville on your way to Las Vegas you cross the Mojave River, usually it is two to six feet wide.

During a flood in the winter of 1968 Jimbo drove his D Runabout on the Mojave River, probably the only power boat to ever run on this river. Where Jimbo ended up with Dave and Phil Nichol's DeSilva, I don't recall. So, Jimbo has the D Runabout Speed Record on the Mojave River.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jimbo McConnell and Marlee Hill....

Jimbo and Cathy as staying busy. Jimbo is restoring rifles and Cathy is restoring Needles. Jimbo is getting to be a pain for pictures.....He keeps this stuff up he'd find out that I know how to use a rifle......Seems Marlee Hill is taller than Jimbo!!!!!

Jimbo and Cathy's house is really a Boat Racing Museum. If Jimbo finishes his book, I'm betting it will sell a ton!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Needles on Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...741832?fref=ts

Jimbo is Needles's most famous person, but Cathy, his wife, is the "SPARK PLUG" who DOESN'T want Needles not to become a ghost town...

Jimbo used to fly RC Airplanes, but because of his racing accident, isn't able to use his right arm very well, as a result, he crashed a "**** Load" opf RC Planes.

Now, this is where the story gets intersting: Cathy tells me this isn't true. But Jimbo told me he want to buy an OLD FORF VAn to carry his airplanes in, as the smelled with Castor Oil and such. Cathy saim "In case you don't know who you are, YOU ARE JIMBO McConnell and You ain't driving no sticnk Ford Van" So, She bought him a new Cadallic Escalade.

Cathy says, "This isn't true." I say, "Really??? Why does Jimbo have an Escalade??? It sure looks like my brother, Russ Hill, Jr. and Jimbo in front of Jimbo's house...and a Cadiallac Escallade

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jimbo MCConnell and Don Pruett in Paris 6 Hour pit area.

Early 1970s photo.
    Nice feather hats.
    Paris 6 Hour pit area.jpg

Burgess/Evinrude F1 V8 Lars Strom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Check this..more here..!!

http://autoshotcar.com/boat_gallery/...v=thumbs&Qis=L
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

My racing web site SVERA.se....http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/

Thread Information