Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Volvo Penta VP700 -78 renovation.

Post Thanks / Like

Default video

Nice ride pdt!
    I had heard about those quwait engines before but thought that it was only a rumor...

I just realized that there is actually one video of the boat from herräng already on YouTube, this is from the second "start" after our coffee break in Älmsta.

pdt

yeah there was loads of them that came to uk in crates back in the early 90's.
    All brand new in their crates and they were nice strong sounding engines, just no spares back up.
    I paid over £100 just to get a impellor for mine, nothing else seemed to fit and it was in the days of no internet so shopping around for one was not going to happen.
    I had to write off to a fella down in cornwall who had spares sitting in his shed.
    he must of earned a fortune from people like me..
    that engine was fantastic, easy to start and very reliable.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Per: Thanks that ride. Very good video, I like!
    Sorry, but my swedish is very bad. E-mail in english maybe easier?

I bought my VP700 year 2010, but I started to repair it last summer. My plan for that motor was to put it in old SE(f-4) cat. With mercury 1.87 gearcase and external trim.
    But today I took head off and saw broken piston in 2. cylinder. Maybe there is something else broken too. Cylinders seems to be fine.
    Thanks for your help.
    -Taatto

Post Thanks / Like

pdt: Not that it matters to you anymore but one can actually use a OMC impeller and just enlarge the hole slightly, I have the number in my work shop manual if anyone is interested...

I guess all those engines are gone by now?

taatto:

Your project seems very interesting, do you have any pictures of the boat or engine parts that you plan to use? If so please post them here, if of course you don't plan for a new thread about your project

If you need a pdf work shop manual and parts list I would love to help. just PM your email address!

Also take a look and see what's broken, I have some spares and I got some good connections when it comes to parts. lets hope that you have the old style pistons, they are easier to find...

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I could post pictures.

Thanks Per, but I have repair manual and parts list typ 391/390.

I need maybe crankshaft, one piston and cylinderhead. And yes there is those old pistons. Engine is actually -75. Block is marked A.

I wrote more when my wife come home. She helps me to write

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That was one interesting engine--very creative. Shame none of the other manufacturers didn't copy some of its features.

Jeff

pdt

the impellor on my engine was a lot deeper than any omc impeller ive ever seen.
    Not as large in diameter as a evinrude /Johnson 70 but almost twice the depth.
    somewhere I still have one in a bag somewhere, ill have to try and dig it out, if I do find it I will take a photo of it. ha ha

I did like my Volvo, if I could of got spares easy and cheaply I would probably still own it now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdt View Post
    the impellor on my engine was a lot deeper than any omc impeller ive ever seen.
    Not as large in diameter as a evinrude /Johnson 70 but almost twice the depth.
    somewhere I still have one in a bag somewhere, ill have to try and dig it out, if I do find it I will take a photo of it. ha ha

I did like my Volvo, if I could of got spares easy and cheaply I would probably still own it now.
    Maybe the changed pump on engines going to such a warm place? the engine has no thermostat so there must be another way of dealing with different water temperatures

OMC part number 377230 (maybe with some pre or suffix) works just fine once you enlarge the hole slightly. A shame you didn't knew about it back in the days

pdt

no mine was nothing like the omc impellers, its around 2 inches deep, not the 1 inch of omc stuff.
    it was more like what you find on the large inboard types.
    I think it had around 8 vanes to it as well, ill try to find it and measure it up, but I do know that nothing from merc or omc would go anywhere near it.
    I had a friend in a boat dealership at the time and he tried to match it near to anything in his shop but nothing came close to it.

probably be able to find one nowdays with the iunternet and a few places now do impellers from your own sizes as well, but back in late 80's early 90's it was a bit different.
    knowing what I know now I would just go electric pump with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Spent the last weekend at my brother's place, the plan was to resurrect the engine that got damaged in the Roslagsloppet last year. We didn't really finish the project, some wine and talking a lot of BS got in the way, but that's OK since the main idea was to meet and have good time!

After posting a question about how to fix my suspected fuel problem going through turns I decided to add another fuel pump, VP was helpful enough to add a boss on the crank case just in case someone would like to do such a mod.

The other thing I did was to add a hole in the pistons right where the bridge in the exhaust is, I figure that it might be a good idea!

Name:  2013-11-23 17.08.48 (800x600).jpg
Views: 769
Size:  287.3 KB
    Name:  2013-11-23 17.19.42 (800x600).jpg
Views: 707
Size:  312.4 KB
    Name:  2013-11-24 00.11.08 (800x600).jpg
Views: 792
Size:  194.2 KB

Thread Information