Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 13' Biel Tunnel with Yamaha 130

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 13' Biel Tunnel with Yamaha 130

I just bought a prop from Ron and was telling him about my boat. He said I should put it on the forum so here she is.
    1995 Biel Tunnel Hull bought new about 2 years ago. It was unrigged and purcgased by friend who first hung a 90 Yamaha on it getting about 60mph. He had a stock 1994 130 Yamaha that he hung on it but never got it to run right. Thats pretty much where I came in. I bough the boat and found some things wrong with the engine, got her running and then started working on the setup. The engine is stock except for a disabled rev limiter, reeds, and a coned lower. Currently using a transom mount pickup as I was losing pressure with the Bobs cone over 80mph.
    The fastest pass so far in salt water was 82.6mph turning a 28x14 Merc Cleaver to 6400rpm.
    Not all the pics are current as I have updates the graphics, installed hydraulic steering, and a foot throttle. The boat hasnt gone faster but is safer and easier to drive. I "think" she has an 85mph in her with a good 30 pitch cleaver but the acceleration would be poor and not much fun to drive. I will be trying it though.
    I have taken a bunch of pics and video. Take a look and feel free to comment.
    Chris

First pass was about 78mph. Second was was just cruising back a little over trimed maybe 70mph. Third was the 82.6mph pass.

Video of nosecone losing pressure. Skip about 2 minutes in. I need to edit that down.

New gopro camera and testing a 26ET cut. ran out of prop at 75mph but drove nice. 13' boat running 75mph in tight whitecaped chop:

Same day but facing forward. Camera mount was a little loose.

I just took my nosecone off because Im not really using it for LWP and its out of the water anyway. Took some video to see what it was doing back there. First pass is the 28 cleaver. Second is the 26 ET. Bakc to back passes with same load, and egine height and same trim. You can see how much more stern lift the cleaver has. speed is down a few mph without the cone. The boat likes the extra lift it gave.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R39_...=11&playnext=1

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

WOW
    Foreman's Marine

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thats cool

If i didn't see it I wouldn't have believed it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Love the Ted Nugent too!

Careful though...............as your speed goes up (And we all know it's never fast enough--) as with any tunnel hull you risk blowing over. If not fully over backwards, a rise past the point of no return and a sideways broach.

Invest in some good gear........life jacket 1st, either a Lifeline or a Security. The jackets you are wearing now are much better than average, but you would be surprised at how impact with the water will blow those suckers off your body in a second. The clips just won't hold.
    I've been thrown out at 90.........it ain't fun. A good helmet will save your melon as well, not quite as cool as having the wind rip through your hair at those speeds, but often, you will only get one chance.

Great looking ride, and unbelievable speed out of a 13 footer. Talk to Ron about props.......You want to go faster? He's the man!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Believe me, I am aware of the risks. This boat comes in a long line of overpowered and dangerous vehicles some of which are the reason that at 45 years old I dont move so fast when I get up in the morning
    The upside is that there is someone crazier. Theres another boat just like mine with a 225 Merc running 95mph.
    Mine is amazingly easy to drive.

One of my favorite hobbies has become beating up on unsuspecting PWC's and powerboats.

Thanks for the compliments.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, a real life jacket is in order. The ones you have are toys and you are beyond the toy range.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Thread Information