Likes Likes:  0

Thread: DDT: What Do You Know About It?

Post Thanks / Like

Default DDT: What Do You Know About It?

Paul Driessen

Environmentalist Fraud and Manslaughter

Email Paul Driessen | Columnist's Archive

• 0diggsdigg

Many chemotherapy drugs for treating cancer have highly unpleasant side effects – hair loss, vomiting, intense joint pain, liver damage and fetal defects, to name just a few. But anyone trying to ban the drugs would be tarred, feathered and run out of town. And rightly so.
    The drugs’ benefits vastly outweigh their risks. They save lives. We need to use chemo drugs carefully, but we need to use them.
    The same commonsense reasoning should apply to the Third World equivalent of chemotherapy drugs: DDT and other insecticides to combat malaria. Up to half a billion people are infected annually by this vicious disease, nearly a million die, countless survivors are left with permanent brain damage, and 90% of this carnage is in sub-Saharan Africa, the most impoverished region on Earth.
    These chemicals don’t cure malaria – they prevent it. Used properly, they are effective, and safe. DDT is particularly important. Sprayed once or twice a year on the inside walls of homes, DDT keeps 80% of mosquitoes from entering, irritates those that do enter, so they leave without biting, and kills any that land. No other chemical, at any price, can do this.
    Even better, DDT has few adverse side effects – except minor, speculative and imaginary “risks” that are trumpeted on anti-pesticide websites. In the interest of saving lives, one would think eco activists would tone down their “ban DDT” disinformation. However, that is unlikely.
    Anti-DDT fanaticism built the environmental movement, and gave it funding, power and stature it never had before. No matter how many people get sick and die because health agencies are pressured not to use DDT, or it is totally banned, Environmental Defense, Sierra Club, Greenpeace, Pesticide Action Network, US Environmental Protection Agency and allied activist groups are unlikely to reform or recant.
    Worse, they have now been joined by the United Nations Environment Program, Global Environment Facility and even World Health Organization Environmental Division – all of whom share the avowed goal of ending all DDT production by 2017, and banning all use of DDT in disease control by 2020. A recent GEF “study” demonstrates how far they are willing to go, to achieve this goal, no matter how deadly it might be. The study purported to prove DDT is no longer needed and can be replaced by “integrated and environment-friendly” alternatives: eg, mosquito-repelling trees, and non-chemical control of breeding sites and areas around homes that shelter insects.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Rachael Carson wrote a book called "Silent Spring". It was required reading when I was in 8th or 9th grade. It was the first propaganda book I remember, but didn't know it at the time. We also read "Animal Farm" and "1984" which was about government doing mind control. Silent Spring lead to the banning of DDT in America, and knowing how agenda driven scientists are now, I wonder how much manipulation might have been going on.

The thing about DDT is that unlike a lot of other chemicals, the pests don't seem to become immune. Malaria probably kills more people worldwide than even third world dictators can if they lined all the opposition up. DDT works, and I have laid down in it many times while the fogging machine passed our house following heavy rains. My Dad had a pump sprayer that he filled up every night during mosquito infestations and sprayed it over our heads as we got under the covers to go to sleep in an unairconditioned bedroom.

I spent a month in Nigeria in 1975. In the northern part where I spent most of my time, it was very dry with low humidity. Called sub sahara. We went to Bauchi down in the central portion for a couple of days at a game preserve with all kinds of African wildlife. About 1/4 mile from the headquarters located at the pool of a giant cool spring was a sign designating it was tetse fly free zone. All paths or roads leading from that headquarters were marked. The following morning, we went in an old army troop carrier with a bunch of people to tour the preserve and take pictures and look at the wildlife. As long as we were moving, everything was great. A short stop was no problem either. But each of the several times we unloaded to go look at a stream with crocs, or some structure, the tetse flies attacked. They hurt like hell. The only flies that come close are those that will occasionally hit you in south Texas. At the beach there are sand flies, and inland...horseflies, but they don't come anywhere close to the bite of a tetse. The bite you get over quickly. What you don't know is what you may come down with after an incubation period. The zone within the park and rooms was tetse free thanks to DDT, but every bed was equipped with mosquito netting and you had better sleep under it.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking I can remimber

When i went to Korea in 1959 the first thing i can remember when i got to my duty station. In Yong Dong Po was being issued a Military can of DDT to spray on the towel lide top and bottom to kill a the little cridders that the GI's would bring back from "Playing with the local girls" in the area..those things where as big a tanks..but it did the job very well..

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question

if you fix everybody's problems there will be way too many people on this planet.....
    saying that....
    There was even less research to decide double hull oil tankers are a solution to a problem, that was some environmental scare mongering and wham the industry, who had NO input is told they need to now make double hull tankers.

PS I'll bet the DDT killed more birds than any spilt oil?

Thread Information