Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How about some NEW rules???

Post Thanks / Like

Default How about some NEW rules???

Why not have a race where classes are combined and the only passing would be on the OUTSIDE...Racing would be ON SUNDAY ONLY....Saturdays would be for FAMILY, FRIENDS and FUN....

Think about Chowchilla this weekend....

Hmmmm...

Chad Hill and YOUNG, BEAUTIFUL WIFE, Cory.....Are going to a birthday party in Fresno...So, Chad convinces his wife he should go to Chowchilla to race....

OK, Chad has a new boat...untested.....So, in order to go to the race and MAYBE have a chance of beating someone, he needs to test...Ok, no testing Saturday, I'm sure as we will need to race for 7 hours to cover the bills for the race and make sure everyone gets POINTS for their classes...

So, Chad wants to go testing on Friday...Hmm, seems in the OLD DAYS people worked on FRIDAY

Now, you test Friday, drive all night Friday to get to the race...race all day, the schedule finishes before dark if you are lucky...Then, you drive back to Freson and go to the birthday party??????

Then, Sunday, you get up and RACE ALL DAY AGAIN..... Then, you drive -4-6 hours home....

Why am I coming offf so negative????

Because, if the race was SUNDAY....Saturday could be spent getting to the race, making a few test runs and then going to the birthday party...The race would be Sunday, and ONLY Sunday...People could have spent time FOOLING with their boats on Saturday and "HANGING OUT"...

I've never seen anyone show up for a two day race, like show up Saturday night, then race Sunday and WIN....You can't JUST RACE one day...People use Saturday for DIALING IN...So, the poor SOB who worked Saturday and shows up to race is at a disadvantage....

I went to COOPEROPOLIS, and most guys were there FRIDAY. Why...Because that's what it takes to be ready for Saturday Racing...

All that two day races has accomplished is making the RACING MORE EXPENSIVE and made the insurance companies more money...

I cal for a BAn on two day races or at least only allow POINTS FOR ONE WEEKEND....(Nationals/Winter Nationals/ Divisionals...NO)...Weekend races, YES...

We need a cheaper insurance for two days, on testing day, one race day....

ADD CHAD HILL:

Let's see how the weekend goes....Not all women like to stand in the hot sun for 7-8 hours and watch boat races for two days......(Even if their husband IS racing)....

My fear is: The ones that want the points. The ones that want the titles.
    These people don't really want new people in the SPORT. They want new people in the SPORT TO BEAT......

What do we do for the NEW guy?????
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 07-11-2005 at 03:56 PM.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ron's post....

See Ron's "Why people win" post from a while back.....And see my reply............MP

Post Thanks / Like

40 years ago when you could have gone to a race once or twice a month in your back yard all spring and summer National High Points meant something more. Now it really means you can take off and travel to more races than other guys.

I'm jealous of the guys that can travel far enough, often enough to be in the hunt for National Points. There is no way I can afford it with my fairly good job.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

bill boyes

Well Ron, The cost to a club is about the same for a 1 as a 2 day race. If the clubs ran only a one day race they would go under. That = no clubs no races. Then there is the 15 race rule for Hi-points etc. I liked the old days when we had testing in the A.M before the race. Now we go to race sites and we cannot start a motor till 10a.m. on Saturday and 12 noon on Sunday. Then again the sites witout the noise problem we have to start the race at 10a.m. and bust our butts to get done by 4p.m. in the olds days we had nine classes in Stock A,B,C,D hydro and runabout and 36 runabout, There were no MODS or OPC and the ALKYS and Inboards raced their own schedule/sanctions. Today, Region 11 schedules all J( includes axsr,asxh), all Stock, (plus45SST) All MODs SST45, Sport C, Pro classes OSY, 250R 350R 500R and Cracker Box.
    At the next race where you want to test we will also run the Nor Cal 400 for new racers, and a Mathon on Saturday after the closed course races. Now Add the SST45WFLS series(Beach Start) on top of all this. And we want to done by 4p.m. No wondow our work force is getting smaller. TOOOOO many classes.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Too many classes

Bill,
    Could not agree with you more. USTS is lucky enough to have enough guys willing to travel into the midwest to accomplish a PRO only boat race. I remember announcing for you guys out there and the poor officials were the ones running the marathon.

I know the cost of the insurance makes it mandatory without a sponsor to run as many classes as you can.

I saw an idea that I think makes sense, try to combine as many classes as you can, fer and 350r maybe or some such. Still collect same amount of money to expense, but shorter program.

Good to see you out and about.

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Default Last Time I Looked

The last time I looked, no one was running APBA but the members. So, I'll let them continue to run it.....but I plan to change things.

The 10 race or 15 race "AVERAGE" is designed for the the guy who really wants to be High Point but only wants to go to five or six races....You can get three races in, now, in APBA, at one boat race...So, I think, you could get six races in two days.....

Who's idea is this??? Someone's who want to be High Point and run very few races.

If a two day sanction, with testing only is the same price as two days of racing...then, only race one day, with testing on Saturday with your own insurance.....If our boats could run with PLEASURE BOATS we would not need glass water to run our TOYS...

Offroad Vehicles are used all the time on offroad...and when a race comes along they race....

Modified LeMan Starts, combined classes, one heat, more laps equal short day...

Suggested entry fee: Cost of race divided by number of drivers...everyone pays an equal entry fee, and you can run as many classes as you want.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 07-11-2005 at 06:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Suggested entry fee: Cost of race divided by number of drivers...everyone pays an equla entry fee, and you can runa as many classes as you want.
    Who would end up the the patrol boats? No one. We have a hard enough time getting patrol boats filled already. Here in the east the race directors sometimes have to threaten to cancel the race to get 6 people in the patrol boats for a set.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Simple

You go to Knoot's, Disneyland or Magic Mountain....Or a GOLF COURSE...and it costs about a hundred dollars a person.....at least.

We go to FLORIDA for water polo...a four day pass is $25 per person to watch your kid play water polo....Now, realistically, water polo isn't that much different the kneeldown boat racing. The parents pay the bills, the kids play the game...most won't play in college and if they play in the Olympics they won't make millions because who knows any water polo players unless you play water polo????

REAL COSTS AREN'T WHY we don't have more people PLAYING BOAT RACE...

Lack of rewards
    Lack of safe, easy to drive equipment
    LacK of quality EQUIPMENT FOR SALE
    Lack of the KNOWING THE PLAYING FIELD IS LEVEL......

My suggestion, play patrol boat people......Hmmm Seems Ross the Boss does that....

My wife and I go see Selene Dion...$150 per ticket, for and hour and half show...Well, there were 4,800 people there....Did $300 keep us a way???

Double the entry fees, combine classes...Clubs need to have the COURAGE TO CHARGE...

Why should a guy with one boat, pay less than a guy with four boats....Tell him to get four...Now, I could argue that the guy with four boats uses more time....therefore he should pay more...Why do they have usually have cheaper entry fees for the guy who runs five classes???

I just think, if I put on a race....I'd post ahead of time the race was costing $3,000 and I'm expecting 10 guys to come. Entry fee will be $300 per person...or per family!!!!

The problem is: THINGS MUST CHANGE!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default whoa Ron!!!!!!!

Double the entry fees, combine classes...Clubs need to have the COURAGE TO CHARGE...

Why should a guy with one boat, pay less than a guy with four boats....Tell him to get four...Now, I could argue that the guy with four boats uses more time....therefore he should pay more...Why do they have usually have cheaper entry fees for the guy who runs five classes???

OUCH, if you doubled the entree fees, I would have to pay over $600 to race each time, since I do race 4, sometimes 5 classes and that would keep me OUT OF RACING!! How are you figuring the gut that races 4/5 boats has cheaper entree fees??? Let's see: 1st class $45, 2nd $35, 3rd $25 4th and on $25, now add that up x2 = $310 for 5classes (which is usually what I pay each time I race for the weekend), 1 class = $90.............now, how do you do your math teach???

also, I do race for points, but also race AS MANY races as I possibly can.......WHY, cause I love racin' and the people involved!!!!!!
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

bill boyes

Quote Originally Posted by RonHill
    The last time I looked, no one was running APBA but the members. So, I'll let them continue to run it.....but I plan to change things.

The 10 race or 15 race "AVERAGE" is designed for the the guy who really wants to be High Point but only wants to go to five or six races....You can get three races in, now, in APBA, at one boat race...So, I think, you could get six races in two days.....

Who's idea is this??? Someone's who want to be High Point and run very few races.

If a two day sanction, with testing only is the same price as two days of racing...then, only race one day, with testing on Saturday with your own insurance.....If our boats could run with PLEASURE BOATS we would not need glass water to run our TOYS...

Offroad Vehicles are used all the time on offroad...and when a race comes along they race....

Modified LeMan Starts, combined classes, one heat, more laps equal short day...

Suggested entry fee: Cost of race divided by number of drivers...everyone pays an equal entry fee, and you can run as many classes as you want.
    RON, Modified LaMans Start? what is that? tell you what Running a race i can run 3 heats off with a clock start vs a OPC Laman start which is a beach start. Take a min of 25 minutes to get the boats launched and lined up and started. A beach start is nothing but a BIG time waster and makes the day longer for the workers who make it happen.
    So what do you combine? Read your rule book.

Thread Information