Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How about some NEW rules???

rossdbos

O.K. Time to chime in:
    Bill, Ron and all- We can run all the classes that currently are on the schedules by working in conjunction with the racers provided they work with us:
    Item # 1.) Pre-registration. (it's very simple so let's not make it complex!)
    If the racers comply with the clubs request/mandate and pre-register (with their money) it alllows the club(s) the necessary pre-race set up rather than a guesstimate on which classes will have enough boats and which classes need eliminations thus losing valuable time with long and drawn out driver's meetings, etc.. Getting the racers to comply with this is an ongoing battle that still mystifies me. I don't know if you realize but boat racing though one of the oldest institutions still doesn't require pre-registration at most event (unless you get to the series level). ad- It is also the only form of motorized racing that doesn't mandate pre-registration at all events or for the year.

Item # 2.) Schedules. See pre-registration in item # 1 and set a realistic schedule and enforce the racers to be ready and in the water turned around at least 1 heat prior to their heat makes all the difference in the world. If you wait until the last minute to put your boat in the water, back it down the ramp, etc. you delay the schedule. All racers should have a copy of the schedule (with any changes) posted at his/her pits, watch and be aware of the class preceeding them and LISTEN to all announcements from the judges stand. If a racer has a question they should grab their pit manager (who should have a radio) and get their questions asked.

Item # 3.) Race Set up: Having a pre-race meeting with staff/officials etc. is paramount to making sure the race get's going on-time. Lay out the "game plan" and make sure all set up boats and volunteers are in position either the day before (if allowed) or morning of the event. Waiting until driver's meeting to set the course means delayed starts.

Item #4.) Manpower/officials/volunteers: Make sure there is enough and some extra to insure that if someone can't make it the race will still go on with no delays. Make sure ambulance, rescue etc. are on-site at least 1/2 to 1 hour prior to start.

The nonsense about too many classes, Le Mans starts, etc. is just that. I have personally been able to run 40 heats/day and still finish by 5:00 p.m. Granted there were no incidents or weather but those are two of the many variables that no club can control.

The racer needs to realize their part and do it so the club/promoters can start on time, set a realistic schedule and not have to stress their workers.
    It's time to start working hand in hand rather than take a "management vs. labor" stance. The racer and the club/promoters are intertwined neither can succeed without each other. For the club/promoter it's real easy, lose too much money, lose race sites and have racers constantly complain the club will end up going away. For the Racer, pre-register, set up and be ready long before your class is called to the line.

I alway's have post race meetings to elaborate on what we can do better to serve both the racer and our staff. We know what we did right now how can we change or fix what we did wrong or need to do better.
    Let's see if being prepared on both sides and working together towards a common goal can't make racing the best it can be at whatever level.
    Just my $.02, off the soap box for now.
    Ross

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lemans (beach) starts.....

I do not think that it would take much of any time to have a Lemans start for the outboarders and could reduce some time. I would like to try a beach start in, lets say, CSH or something.......it might be fun!!!!! Isn't that what racing is all about......fun????
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Nbra

Well Folks, I think one organization listened to the complaints. NBRA combined classes until they had the schedule down to manageable. At the NBRA Nationals there WAS testing every day before racing started, and again after racing finished if time permitted. So lets see here, testing began at 9:00 am ended at 11:00 am, we had a drivers meeting, we went racing at noon. We had to be off the water by 5:00 pm.

Ron, I suggest you order up an NBRA rulebook to get all the class combinations, I never heard anyone complain about the combinations during the Nationals, so it must be working.

Maybe APBA could learn a thing or two from them if they would only listen and act upon what they learned. I am not saying any one organization is better than the other, I race boats, not politics.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bring It On...

Thanks, DAVE....

I'm mad I missed the Nationals...How did Bryan Thrope do? Where are the results???

I just seems to me, it is a NEED for testing...before you race. We'll have a new boat to run this weekend??? So, to test, we need to take Friday off work???? It is NICE being rich, but?????

I BELIEVE that combining classes can work...drivers can figure out how not to run over each other...My 16 year old is going to a 20 and under event....Now, who will win??? The 20 year olds...but the 16's will come away better players and smarter...

My 16 has already learned that OLD KIDS play FAIRER......(NO CHEAP STUFF, JUST WATER POLO)...Well, as you learn the sport of Boat Racing...I feel, you learn the the WINNERS don't pull cheap shots...Mixing classes, is a winner.

Best race I ever had, was will with Bill Jack Rucker Sr. He had a three holer on a DeSilva...I had a DU...I was winning my class and he was winning his class...but BE DAMNED if he was going to beat ME...He felt the same...Well, it was rough and that three holer came off the corners like a ROCKET...but my DU would "air out" and I could get by him by the corner...I'd look over at Old Billy Jack and his throttle was wide, So I knew he wasn't "THROWING OFF"...but he'd get me coming out of the corner...we went hard for five laps....Neither of us felt out of control...we were "JUST RACING"...Seems I beat him the first heat and he had me "SACKED" the second when the three holer went to two holes...

Not sure, if the fans, if there were any, cared that I had a DU and Rucker had a E MOD....They saw a "RACE"...as we actually lapped a few of the other boats, which caused us to weave in and out of traffic...

I miss that SOB...If you beat Bill Jack Rucker, Sr., you knew you'd beaten someone GOOD!!!!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Results

Results for the NBRA are under another thread. But Bryan did wll, he spanked them in CH. His EH ran pretty well to.

Post Thanks / Like

i think i will wait to form an opinion on this on for a while. but i have a couple of questions
    1 if combined do we really want say J's (OUR KIDS) on the water with A's?
    or do you think say A's & B's then C's &D's same boat style in the same heat?

the way i see it, there is so many people that run many classes that the actual boat count for the race weekend would have to fall. - boat count = - intree fees .
    now if i remember what my insurance man told me if im in my boat practicing and its not racing then im covered if i am in a race i am not why are we paying for site insurance on a non race day ie for practice?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Novice

NBRA and all other organizations has a place for the youngsters, in NBRA it is called Novice. In AOF I think it is the same. In APBA it is J. NBRA is I believe an 80 Yamata restricted down to a safer speed for the kids.

KWS, as far as insurance goes it is very easy to find cheap reasonable coverage on an individual basis to cover yourself while racing. In my opinion we don't need to pay high premiums and have a weekend of racing cost over $3000.00. We lower that, put on a better program to draw crowds, and you draw sponsorship funds to offset the costs. So less entry fee funds won't hurt.

NBRA seems to be doing something right, they keep getting a ton of money for race sponsorship. The Nationals had $5000.00 prize money. A sponsor called up while we were racing and asked if it would be possible for them to put up $3500.00 prize money at a race in I think Shelbyville IL. I don't think they turned down the offer.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The thing about insurance still bothers me. In AOF you can combine any class you want. And it costs $200 for 2 million of spectator insurance. That is it. Long itme policy instituted and created by Dudley Malone and Ron Whittaker. Wait and see, many will come on here and say that insurance is no good.....wait...it will happen..... it is not about insurance, the organization, the classes or the combinations. It is about the clout. APBA has more clout because we are ignorant and don't know a good deal when it is put in front of us. Always looking for the thing that is right in front of us...too bad.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default ??

I am not understanding your post Connie. Are you taking a stand in one organization ?

Clout..... yes, it seems APBA has more, but look who pays the money back to the racers..... I hope someday all three Organizations will finally stop the war.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Not me Dave

Hi Dave,
    This is Connie. That post wasn’t me. All officers in AOF are allowed and encouraged to use AOFOffice to post AOF business. Not sure who did that. I have been out of town without a computer for several days, and just catching up. Read my next post:
    PS. I have gotten blamed for a lot of emails that came from someone else over the years because of these shared screen names.. I don’t mind except when someone signs my name! lol. Oh, well, good thing I’m a survivor. (My personal posts come from; YankeeRacing).
    Connie

Thread Information