Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 72

Thread: Still more from EP Class, 1977-85

  1. #1
    Team Member Smokin' Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Texas and Tirol
    Posts
    657
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Still more from EP Class, 1977-85

    Allison XR-14 at Eufaula in 1979, an experimental boat made by Darris Allison. Four were made, only one survives (not this one). This one set the EP kilo record at 70.560 mph in 1980 (Waco, Tx.), the record was never broken. Motor and prop by McCauley.

    The XR-14 was an early prototype for the later larger Allison raceboats designed by Darris.

    Nr. 39, a ca. 1970 14' Allison, is still owned by Paul and is stored in one of his barns. That boat won GP at Eufaula in 1979. 853 ran a 1st and 4th (bad start, couldn't recover) in EP for overall 2nd.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 01-17-2013 at 10:30 PM.

  2. #2
    Administrator Ron Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tustin, California
    Posts
    8,343
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Are Any of These Boats Still Around???

    Sure seems with gas prices where they are, that some smaller "FUN" boats and races have to be in the future!

    Any molds or boats around to copy?

  3. #3
    Team Member Smokin' Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Texas and Tirol
    Posts
    657
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    Sure seems with gas prices where they are, that some smaller "FUN" boats and races have to be in the future!

    Any molds or boats around to copy?
    Someone makes boats with Allison or Critchfield (a bastard version of an Allison) bottoms and own decks (or no deck) in S.C. for river racers.

    The old molds still exist at Allison in Louisville, Tenn., but cost is a problem. A 14' boat retailed for $2000 in 1982. The materials required to make one now cost over $10000. The systematic, easy credit-driven inflation of the last thirty years has changed everything.

    APBA ha introduced a bad excuse of a v-class that includes 75 and 140 hp motors, no sprint gearcases are allowed, and transom heights are limited (!). I just looked at a German ADAC Class like Sport C (Tohatsu 40) where everyone has to run the same prop, prop modifications are illegal. The APBA Tri-Hull class is designed to prevent exceptional motors, boats and props (you can buy any rig on demand x nr. of $ after a race). We live in an age of rules and notions that I fail to identify with.

  4. #4
    Sam Cullis Mark75H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Annapolis, MD USA
    Posts
    3,975
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The Tri-hull claiming rule is long gone. I suspect some motors are quite "exceptional" these days. Originally, a junker Glastron was the preferred boat, now a custom made race version seems to be the best.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.


  5. #5
    Team Member Smokin' Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Texas and Tirol
    Posts
    657
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    The Tri-hull claiming rule is long gone. I suspect some motors are quite "exceptional" these days. Originally, a junker Glastron was the preferred boat, now a custom made race version seems to be the best.
    Motor and prop can be claimed.

  6. #6
    Sam Cullis Mark75H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Annapolis, MD USA
    Posts
    3,975
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Can you quote the current rule on the APBA website for me? ... I was pretty sure they had done away with it
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.


  7. #7
    Team Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    153
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default APBA Rule Book 2011

    3) A $2250 “Claiming Rule” is enforced for all officially entered engines. This claiming rule includes the engine, trim system, mounting
    bracket (jack plate) and propeller exactly as raced. This claim must be made in cash.
    a) A boat may only be claimed by a SPORT member. A boat may be claimed between the final heat and the awards ceremony, or one
    hour after the final heat, whichever comes first.

  8. #8
    Sam Cullis Mark75H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Annapolis, MD USA
    Posts
    3,975
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks! I'm glad to know this rule is still on the books.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.


  9. #9
    Team Member Danny Pigott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Moncks Corner SC
    Posts
    389
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Mold

    Joe, we had a Critchfield mold in the early 80's.It was never used by us, but someone ended up with it but i don't know who got it, are where it went. The guy that build it off of a wrecked boat( the deck would come off a Critchfield a lot of times if it turned over and the boat would sink) put a wood deck on the old hull it ran pretty good as it was cut down in the bow. I can't remember he may have took the wood deck off and made the mold.If someone is making these boats now it may be this same mold. I have never seen or heard of an Allison mold but there could very well be one. We have got a 14 foot boat called a Falcon that has a Allison type botton, it runs a modified 40 Yamaha there were a lot of this type of boats build in SC for river racing at one time. The speeds some of them claim are hard to believe. Ours will run in the low 60's they all run tillers.I never thought i would go to a OPC race an not see an Allison, but it happens now.

  10. #10
    Team Member Smokin' Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Texas and Tirol
    Posts
    657
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Pigott View Post
    Joe, we had a Critchfield mold in the early 80's.It was never used by us, but someone ended up with it but i don't know who got it, are where it went. The guy that build it off of a wrecked boat( the deck would come off a Critchfield a lot of times if it turned over and the boat would sink) put a wood deck on the old hull it ran pretty good as it was cut down in the bow. I can't remember he may have took the wood deck off and made the mold.If someone is making these boats now it may be this same mold. I have never seen or heard of an Allison mold but there could very well be one. We have got a 14 foot boat called a Falcon that has a Allison type botton, it runs a modified 40 Yamaha there were a lot of this type of boats build in SC for river racing at one time. The speeds some of them claim are hard to believe. Ours will run in the low 60's they all run tillers.I never thought i would go to a OPC race an not see an Allison, but it happens now.
    Danny,

    Do you mean the Kamo viper? Was made in the Carolinas. Looking at a picture from behind it looked more like Allison bottom, but I could be wrong. I can't find the website anymore, may not be made now-? They made an open model that was apparently popular with the Yamaha 50.

    Joe

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Who's Who in Boat Racing
    By Mark75H in forum Boat Racing Encyclopedia
    Replies: 395
    Last Post: 09-30-2017, 08:50 PM
  2. "Name That Outboard"
    By Tomtall in forum Outboard Racing History
    Replies: 381
    Last Post: 12-01-2011, 08:40 PM
  3. More from EP Class 1977-1985
    By Smokin' Joe in forum Outboard Racing History
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 09-02-2010, 05:33 AM
  4. Australian Junior Racing
    By Drats in forum BRF Open Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-20-2005, 11:53 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •