Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 72

Thread: Still more from EP Class, 1977-85

  1. #11
    Team Member ima75man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    655
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smokin' Joe View Post
    Danny,

    Do you mean the Kamo viper? Was made in the Carolinas. Looking at a picture from behind it looked more like Allison bottom, but I could be wrong. I can't find the website anymore, may not be made now-? They made an open model that was apparently popular with the Yamaha 50.

    Joe
    the kamo viper had a bottom similar to the delta's,back in the day....just a hair faster than a 13 footer allison
    out front again

  2. #12
    Team Member Smokin' Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Texas and Tirol
    Posts
    657
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Just for the record. The Critchfield was molded from the Delta, which was molded from an old Allison. Those boats would not turn on the buoys like an Allison. The Critchfiled was an improvement over the Delta speed-wise, the problem with turning was a too flat deadrise angle on the chine. The XR-14 would not turn well for the same reason, deadrise angle on chine was wrong. That's why I traded it back in 1981 for an old-style 13' Allison, then widened the pad 'Papa Bear', or too much. I sold that boat, bought another 13' in 1982 and widened the boat 'baby bear', just right.

    Ref. The Three Bears

  3. #13
    Team Member Smokin' Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Texas and Tirol
    Posts
    657
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ima75man View Post
    the kamo viper had a bottom similar to the delta's,back in the day....just a hair faster than a 13 footer allison
    The 13' pad was 5.5", too narrow. Just enough Bondo with straightedges and you've got the fastest EP boat ever made (8" pad was too wide). There was also a chine modification I made in 1982 that no one ever noticed. That got the boat off the bank and out of the turns faster, made it turn tighter, and ran faster down the straightaway. Had Rusty Campbell et al not had Pop Piggott's motors (my 75 was APBA-stock in NOA excepting a hot head and lighter flywheel) then I could have come from last and passed them all at Rocks Pond, S.C., As it was, I started last (well after the flag dropped) and ran third in my last race ever in 1985 in a full field of 40-70 boats. Danny was there, he's my witness!!

  4. #14
    Team Member ima75man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    655
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default delta

    ray peter and my self raced a little blue 13 foot delta,i make a few bottom mods to help it turn and go faster,after a lake eufaula,boat race danny critchfield came over and wanted to look at the bottom of the delta and see what we did. your boat ran on a rail compare to others. the bottom was top secret to us,it was your edge.we raced apba from 76 to 84.it took all the weight we could find to make 840 lbs.we got the delta from webb mapoles, we were told bobby saunders make the boat to run a 50 merc on it.bobby saunders also done a little repair job for us, got in a little accident in picton, canada..
    out front again

  5. #15
    Team Member Danny Pigott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Moncks Corner SC
    Posts
    389
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Joe, you are right about how good you ran, i wish you could have tryed one of dad's motor's with the great set ups an props you had. No body really knows how fast Rusty could run,i don't think he ever had a speedo. in the boat. I would say somewhere around 75 plus in comp. The white boat he had was Critchfield's personal boat, it was not the same as the rest of them. People looked at it an saw the bow cut down an then cut theres down, but there was a lot more than that done to it, The boat stayed here a lot of the time along with some others an i saw everything that was diff. about it. It was modified to turn better among other things, but it was hard to see what was done to it,like you said ,they would not turn that great i think this one would. The red boat that Rusty had for APBA i don't think was the same as the white one.Sam did you get that boat or just the motor, if you got it you may know more about it. Thoese were some good races.

  6. #16
    Team Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Florence, South Carolina
    Posts
    108
    Post Thanks / Like

    Cool Custom Camo Viper

    Like this ?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  7. #17
    Team Member Smokin' Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Texas and Tirol
    Posts
    657
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Pigott View Post
    Joe, you are right about how good you ran, i wish you could have tryed one of dad's motor's with the great set ups an props you had. No body really knows how fast Rusty could run,i don't think he ever had a speedo. in the boat. I would say somewhere around 75 plus in comp. The white boat he had was Critchfield's personal boat, it was not the same as the rest of them. People looked at it an saw the bow cut down an then cut theres down, but there was a lot more than that done to it, The boat stayed here a lot of the time along with some others an i saw everything that was diff. about it. It was modified to turn better among other things, but it was hard to see what was done to it,like you said ,they would not turn that great i think this one would. The red boat that Rusty had for APBA i don't think was the same as the white one.Sam did you get that boat or just the motor, if you got it you may know more about it. Thoese were some good races.
    You always make interesting comments, Danny. Did you know that in 1984-'85 I made the prop that Rusty and the nr. 2 NOA boats ran? Danny used it too whenever he could! It was a shade blow my personal props. I don't think that Rusty hit 75 mph in competition, my recollection is that my nearly stock NOA motor setup ran 69+ in competition (did I ever see 70+ on my AquaMeter? I can't remember), and he wasn't that far ahead of me. Yes, I'd like to have tried one of Pop Piggott's fine South Carolina powerheads! I joked recently with Rusty that I drove all the way to Augusta (1984) to run around the course with him, and then he didn't wait for me to get a good start beside him. How fast did your tunnel with the Piggott 75 run in competition?

    Best,
    Joe

  8. #18
    Team Member Danny Pigott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Moncks Corner SC
    Posts
    389
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The reason i say Rusty could run that fast is when Danny was running that same boat in outlaw races in Fla. they let the V bottoms run with the Tunnels an i can remember having a hard time with him with my Tunnel an at that time it would run about 78 mph in comp. an Chitchfield would be right there with me.The only thing was he ran Aky. at these races because there were no rules other than class size. Later with a new boat an props i could run about 80 to 82 if every thing was right. One time testing at home i saw 88 mph i will send you a e mail an tell you what i think caused this, with a prop that should run no where near that. I really think that on a short course a good V bottom could have beat most Tunnels of that time.Some time i will tell about Rusty an Geo. Laycock (sp) in 40 to 70.

  9. #19
    Team Member Danny Pigott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Moncks Corner SC
    Posts
    389
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Mayfly

    Joe, heres a story about the 14 foot Allison Mayfly you just got.David Goldston owned it . He brought it to dad to get the motor done, mean while there was a race the next weekend that he would miss. I told him we would take the motor off our Allison an he could run it so he would not miss the race, he was a very happy boy. The next week he came back an said i won't to talk to you a min.(i did not go to that race) He said i won the race with that motor (i think this was his first win) Then he said can i pay Pop extra money an keep that motor an you keep mine. I said fine you can have the one you want ,but let's test them before you make up your mind, he said i want the one on the boat but i will test them .We can test at our house so we put the boat in an he makes a run an comes in an says it ran 70 mph just like at the race. We put his power head on an he made a run came in with a big smile an said i will keep my motor it ran 73 mph. I knew that his motor was the best but this was the only way to get him to take it an i didn't want to do him wrong . Dad ran all motors on the bench an then put them on his Allison an broke them in for about an hour then ran them at the rpm they would run in the race so he knew they were good when they left the shop.He also put every old part in a bag that he replaced an taped it to the motor so the owner could see that new parts were put in his motor even the spark plugs.I think that was 74/75 an the Mayfly still lives in Tex.

  10. #20
    Team Member Smokin' Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Texas and Tirol
    Posts
    657
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Pigott View Post
    The reason i say Rusty could run that fast is when Danny was running that same boat in outlaw races in Fla. they let the V bottoms run with the Tunnels an i can remember having a hard time with him with my Tunnel an at that time it would run about 78 mph in comp. an Chitchfield would be right there with me.The only thing was he ran Aky. at these races because there were no rules other than class size. Later with a new boat an props i could run about 80 to 82 if every thing was right. One time testing at home i saw 88 mph i will send you a e mail an tell you what i think caused this, with a prop that should run no where near that. I really think that on a short course a good V bottom could have beat most Tunnels of that time.Some time i will tell about Rusty an Geo. Laycock (sp) in 40 to 70.
    Nitromethane would make a big speed difference. I'm waiting for that email! George Laycock, who co-drove a Mod VP boat in our stall at Havasu in '79, has abandoned outboards in favor of ocean-going yachts. I did help persuade him to buy an E-Tec instead of a 4 stroke Yamaha for his tender.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Who's Who in Boat Racing
    By Mark75H in forum Boat Racing Encyclopedia
    Replies: 395
    Last Post: 09-30-2017, 08:50 PM
  2. "Name That Outboard"
    By Tomtall in forum Outboard Racing History
    Replies: 381
    Last Post: 12-01-2011, 08:40 PM
  3. More from EP Class 1977-1985
    By Smokin' Joe in forum Outboard Racing History
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 09-02-2010, 05:33 AM
  4. Australian Junior Racing
    By Drats in forum BRF Open Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-20-2005, 11:53 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •