Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Jippe's wetback 10

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default removing stuck prop

If using a puller fails try heating the outside hub of the prop on all sides to enlarge the hole. Do not apply heat too long because it will also heat up the prop shaft (axel) and still result in a stuck prop. Then immediatly after or during heating with a helper be prepared to pull on the prop at the hub next to the big aluminum cone on the lower unit. There has to be some space in there to insert the 90 degree puller arms or as suggested devise a puller using the shear pin holes. It would also help if you use some JB Blaster penetrating oil on the shaft and prop hub interface.

If that fails how much do you love this prop? Because you might have to wack at each blade with the heat applied to the hub. That might do it.

If you get it off clean the shaft with fine wet sand paper and the next prop make sure the fit is slightly loose so that if you shear a pin the prop willl have less chance to weld to the shaft. I place heavy duty disk brake wheel bearing grease with moly additive on the shaft and inside the prop hub to act as a lubricant in case of a sheared pin. This helps for a short time if the engine is shut off as soon as possible.

Get some stronger shear pins.

Let us know how you do.

Post Thanks / Like

Another possibility that should not be overlooked is pushing the prop back on and aligning the holes and driving the pin out with a punch.

Its usually what you should try to do first when a pin breaks, rather than attempting to force the prop off around broken parts of pin galling the inside of the prop.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default stuck prop

That is definately a good 1st to do but it does require rotating the prop on the shaft to align the pin hole and from what I have seen they can get very jambed. Perhaps the heat for this case will aid in the prop rotation to align the pin hole.

Post Thanks / Like

A very good suggestion
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree. As a novice in my first year of racing I did the same thing, and did not ask for guidance. Didn't know anyone to ask and my Dad was working....no cell phones then. So I hooked the ends of the puller around the tips of the two blades of the propeller. It took some work, but it finally came loose with a sudden spurt.

As happy as I was at first, my reaction did a 180 south when I looked at the indentiones at the tips of the blades. As it turned out, (similar to the saying that God protects babies and drunks), the prop always was the best one on the hydro and runabout for our two cylinder FB Konig. It's highly unlikely that you would get the same result by attaching the puller in any place but where Tim suggested. Some good quality oil in the shear pin hole and light heating up, down, and around the prop hub before you cranked down on the puller should also help.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Theres no room for puller but the pin is out. It is stuck really tight
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default stuck prop

Looks like the pin is still in there? Try the advice already posted. Make a puller that uses the pin holes in the prop that you grab from both sides. As noted abpve apply heat to the hub then immediatly pull. If that fails you will probably need to grab the blades close to the hub with a sling type straps attached to the puller.This probably will damage the prop. but last resort.

Thread Information