Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: omc tripple cut out

Post Thanks / Like

If at anytime you hit the choke or primer and the engine speeds up ( gains RPM) you have a lean condition. clean/rebuild carbs as was said in a previous post..... then retest.
    Jeff 93-C

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Akers View Post
    If at anytime you hit the choke or primer and the engine speeds up ( gains RPM) you have a lean condition. clean/rebuild carbs as was said in a previous post..... then retest.
    This for sure, as Allen said also. BUT you made need to remove the needles and drill the feed hole out larger. If the main jet is larger than the hole behind the needle, you can change jets till your blue, it will never fix the problem. Keep us posted on progress and don't give up. If you don't have drills and/or are nervous to do it, send them to me, with shipping pay back to you. I'll do it for free.
    Helping folks out around the globe.

Post Thanks / Like

if your carbs have the intermediated jet, take it out of all 3 carbs, i never have run them. just my 2 cents..hope this helps, if we all wrong go buy some more carbs.........lol
    out front again

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried choking the carbs individually to see if maybe there is only one that's causing the problem? If it's all three then I don't think carbs are the problem unless it's the old style carbs that have all three feeding fuel through the center carb. If one carb is causing the problem I think you will find the gasket around the main discharge nozzle not sealing, the float not dropping far enough or the main nozzle has hairline cracks in it between the holes. If you can find a set of later carbs that have the primer rather than a choke they are much better carbs. The choke plate is not there to interfere with air flow.You should not need to drill the float valve unless you are running alcohol, If the fuel pump is delivering required pressure and volume.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

also check squezze bulb should be semi hard when running,,,and also the anti siphon valve,,, lots trouble with those over the years,,

Post Thanks / Like

these carbs are the primer type. I don't think a rev limiter is going to be a problem because these motors with a jet won't pull over 6000rpms. I've checked all of the float heights before for all three carbs and they where within the recommended heights. I think they have an air leak some place I just haven't found it yet.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd be looking at the gasket around the main emulsion tube as well ( as Popa says)
    or somebody cleaned them in carb cleaner/or 100psi of air and it ate away the emulsion tube sealant so turn them upside down and drop some loctite around the tube from the venturi side

Post Thanks / Like

Went thru the same issue its jetted to lean. I ended up riching up idle mid and high the 3jet carbs have often done the samething to me on the56in blocks. Those motors never came with 3jet carbs at least not by all the parts books. I fought that for awhile taking the mid out does help but won't cross over as snapy if ya just open it up a bunch and it all depends on the port job also try it all that's the real way to fix it for your rig good luck
    _

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't think it is jetted to lean because when I've put bigger jets in the problem didn't get any better. It's acted like one carb doesn't want to feed gas right. I think it has a air leak. I'm just waiting on him to bring his boat home for the weekend for me to check it out. I don't think it has 3 jet carbs. It has the main in the bowl and a needle jet screw up top in the front. If it has a third I've been missing it.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The 56'er
    had all three carb styles that I can see in the parts book
    86-88 main, and air bleed
    89-90 main, air bleed and needle
    91 main int and needle
    92-2001 main, air bleed and needle ( same as sst 60)

Make sure you are not removing an air jet and trying to make it richer

Thread Information