Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hydros & Runabouts - how about Canoes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hydros & Runabouts - how about Canoes

At the inboard divisionals this past weekend in Olympia, a bunch of the outboard canoes from up Lake Quinault way ran an exhibition. Maybe Kyle or Carl, or Steve can tell more about these. They were a kick to watch.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Mark75H; 07-23-2005 at 06:04 PM.
    Mike Johnson

World Headquarters

Portland, Oregon USA

22-R 23-R R-29 R-30
    Post Thanks / Like

Default racing canoes

mike thanks for the pictures,(1) top picture is the driver of 37-R CSH doug reed of Amanda Park (lk quinault) on the inside of the points leader for the year.(2)middle picture WHERE IS DOUG, something i have asked myself many times.(3)bottom picture dean johnstone (mr fast) with merc passing jeff kalama with yamato. middle picture both knees out over the side of the canoe. in the canoes you get pulled out by your feet if your knees get grabbed by a wave. at this time on good days we run 45-48 mph, 25 mercs and 302 yamatos pushing around 475-525 pounds. come race and watch the canoes at LAKE QUINAULT, AUGUST 13-14 at the HYDRO-CANOE REGATTA. if anyone would like to run a canoe just ask i am also looking for a prop for 25 merc fishing motor gear case 10 spline `10 3/8 x 15 1/2 ss. (we could have open paratice the 8-11, wiil get back to you on that) thanks steve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by QUINAULTRACING
    mike thanks for the pictures,(1) top picture is the driver of 37-R CSH doug reed of Amanda Park (lk quinault) on the inside of the points leader for the year.(2)middle picture WHERE IS DOUG, something i have asked myself many times.(3)bottom picture dean johnstone (mr fast) with merc passing jeff kalama with yamato. middle picture both knees out over the side of the canoe. in the canoes you get pulled out by your feet if your knees get grabbed by a wave. at this time on good days we run 45-48 mph, 25 mercs and 302 yamatos pushing around 475-525 pounds. come race and watch the canoes at LAKE QUINAULT, AUGUST 13-14 at the HYDRO-CANOE REGATTA. if anyone would like to run a canoe just ask i am also looking for a prop for 25 merc fishing motor gear case 10 spline `10 3/8 x 15 1/2 ss. (we could have open paratice the 8-11, wiil get back to you on that) thanks steve
    where do you mount the tiller handle and throttle control on the Yamato?
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

22-R 23-R R-29 R-30
    Post Thanks / Like

Default tillers

the ones jeff and pete run have tiller that were in shop and mount to the same bolts that we use for steering bars the handle is from old 30hp so they can run big merc carbs and linkage, i built one and mounted it to the steering bar. steve

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Monaco

Mike,
    since Kyle is still in the South of France this week and asking me to say Hi to all racers, He does miss racing but is having the time of his life.
    Being a dad here I will tell ya all that he was acceped for an ambassador program this summer and is touring Spain, France and italy for another week or so.
    Ok so a little about canoe racing.... I first saw the tribal members way back in the late '60's racing these things up the old Sammish slough race... they really didnt go real fast but were sure long and kept to them selves for the most part. So now fast fwd 40 years... Kyle, Dylan (my other son) and my self attended a race 3 years ago at , well basically at the end of HWY 101 in Washington to a little "indian" village called Tahola. Tahola is not much to look at or stop at unless you want the best Salmon in the world called Blue back.. more about that someother time, any way it was kind of special for me to get back to this place as a J kid I raced there in 1970. it is at the end of the Quaniult river where it empties into the Pacific so we would walk out and place the bouys out and wait for the tide to come in to race, as it is still done today. We went down with our friend Doug who was racing for the first time in a canoe (Doug races CSH) and to our suprise there were two members of the Queets tribe who had Yamato 302's on the back of their canoes, well needless to say I was down there in a second introducing my self and the kids, one of the first things they asked me is if I could fix their prop as they hit a sand bar, well hell no big deal, ( ron will like this part) so I found a 2" trailer ball, mallet and some sand paper and had them back on the water in no time racing, so fast fwd again to last year, we show up and the same to guys Pete and Jeff) hand me the ignition from one of the 302's with broken wires "knowing I would be there" to help them, this is the Tribal way as i think I said something like I will see ya next year and they took that as we would be there. so not having Ricky or Mckean there I said where do we get parts,,, " well lets try jims house" , we walked allover this fishing village and in 2 hours founs enough old OMC and MERC crap to jimmy rig this Yamato together and low and behold Jeff won the race that day and money ( for more than we pay for all the family to race on a weekend) so again we said our good bys and went on our way, a month later last year we were at a wild cat race at Lk Qunault the the head waters of the river and the Canoe's were there so at the end of the day (after helping Pete and Jeff again) they let Kyle take one out. ...
    OK LETS KEEP IN MIND HERE ther these canoes are 26 feet long, 2.5 feet wide in the rear end and carved out of a old groath ceder tree. they take 1-4 years to carve and take an additional year to "cure" before you can put it in the water, most there canoes have been passed down for a generation or 3
    ok so back to Kyle ( Mr. Im cool 14 year old) he takes it out goes about 100 yards and rolls it right over, Im thinking there guys are going to be pissed, they look at me and say " we had better dry it out and give him a nother chance" which we do and he makes it about 150 yards this time before it goes side ways and spits him out again, well so they say it is my turn, well the best I can tell you all is having a 26 foot long skateboard with only two wheels when I left the beach I was able to keep it up right and when it came time to turn i gave it a little and low and behold it rolled up on its chine and went around the corner, now keep in mind over the years ive raced many classes of stock mod and Pro but this really sacred the s#!t out of me so I was heading back to the beach and grabbed the full on tiller handle ( oh ya no keller throttles) and this damn log started going side ways... I have no idea how I saved it but I did and got back to the pits thanked them and will mostlikly not do this again. so this year again we were at the races helping our Queets tribal firends, said our goodbyes and Pete and Jeff came to Kyle and said "we have a canoe our father made before he passed on and we want you to race with us so come over and get it.... looks like the Lewis racing team now has a new adventure to add to the trailer, our plan is to take it Lk. Lawrence for some testing this fall.. HEY RON we need props for this thing......and any old Merc long shaft 25's any condition any one is looking to part with so we can build some motors.

Regards, Carl 94-R

Post Thanks / Like

Default inboard

i saw an inboard jet canoe for sale on ebay. I wanted it to run up the river and agrevate all the canoes that are just paddling along. How fast do these things run?

22-R 23-R R-29 R-30
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile speed????????????????

49 mph racing........ down river with the wind on his back 57 mph and that was mr. fast. he saw 57 on his GPS like you see 74 in a csh, not under race conditions. steve

Post Thanks / Like

Default Canoe Racing

I don't know much about canoe racing. I am from Quincy,Il. home of Quincy Welding builders of the Quincy-Merc and Merc-Quincy Looper motors. I remember back in the 60's they built many 20-h's and 2 cyl loopers that were shipped to Washington and Oregon for canoe racing. If some one would get ahold of Gene East who worked at Quincy Welding I am sure he would love to tell every one more about this subject. Gene is always over on the Quincy Looper web site.

Post Thanks / Like

Default motor canoe

In about 83 I cut a well thru a f-glass 17ft er about 2 1/2ft from aft then tunneled it out so the motor didnt have to be real deep. I put a borrowed 7 1/2 omc in and thought it was fast at around 20mph. It was surprisingly steady under power and even turned decently. I lounged on cushions between the seats and extended the tiller for easy reach, thats right comfort too! These guys above look to be goin PDF definatly cool.

Thread Information