Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Evinrude E-TEC Outboards-What is your opinion?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Evinrude E-TEC Outboards-What is your opinion?

I am an amateur boat builder and recreational boater who is in the process of completing a 1970's vintage, 10 foot, 3 point hydro called a Super Spartan (see attached). I am considering buying a new 25 HP E-TEC motor because I have heard good things about the reliability, performance and low maintenance of these engines.

Has anybody had any experience with these outboards?

Thanks for your feedback.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    John Lucas

Post Thanks / Like

Default Little Do I Know....

EVERYTHING, EXCEPT PRICE, that I've heard is WONDERFUL...Clean, light, fast, no problems....

Post Thanks / Like

Talking second opinion...

not saying theres any thing wrong with the E-TEC...say your interested in a 25 HP manual start..
    first the E-TEC wieghts 177 lbs...then to work on it your got to have a lap top computor and about a 1000 dollars worth of Bombs software to check it out..
    now a 25 hp Merc Sea Pro from AFA Marine Small outboards on the internet..it accually a Tohatsu also a 2 stroke..just one single carb..no fance elec injectors..and it wieghts at 114 lbs
    they have been racing this engine all over the world and there almost bullet proof..
    and if your thinking 15 hp..the E-tec is still 177 lbs for its just a detoon 25/30 eng..
    Just my opinion..

Post Thanks / Like

we sale three to four a week, as a tech Ill say they are gonna be the next big thing, My brother had a boat like yours and I would say the weight of the 25 etec will be at the max that boat could float, there is not another engine in its class that has the torq either.
    I have a addiction its Powercat boats
    http://www.powercatboat.com/Group/SN.../SNichols.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kymarlee View Post
    I am an amateur boat builder and recreational boater who is in the process of completing a 1970's vintage, 10 foot, 3 point hydro called a Super Spartan (see attached). I am considering buying a new 25 HP E-TEC motor because I have heard good things about the reliability, performance and low maintenance of these engines.

Has anybody had any experience with these outboards?

Thanks for your feedback.
    Excellent motors (our 19 yr. old is an E-Tec mechanic), but geared too low (less than 2:1) for a hydro, and too heavy. I'd recommend a 1979-2000 JohnRude 35 (geared higher than 2:1), weighs 112 lb and runs nearly 50 mph (proped right) on GT-Pro class tunnels and V-bottoms. You can pick them up on ebay, I can build a prop (also powerhead) for you. I build props for the GT-Pro class, and have a 1983 Johnson 35 that runs nearly 42 mph on my 14.5' Allison fishing boat. Problem is that they won't wind over 7000 RPM due to the flat reed plates, so you have to run a 17" pitch prop on a hydro or tunnel. They're quite torque-y, especially if you mill the head (and then use a mix of pump 93 octane and Sun 100 octane leaded racing gas to protect the motor).

Your transom height should be at least 20"! I run my Johnson 35 19.5" high on my 350 lb Allison, GT-Pro runs about 21-22" transom heights.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Like my dad said they are great motors! We had a guy bring in a 12 ft st martin once and he wanted a 30 on it ( difference is only the computer on the motor)

As far as service goes you cant get happier having an e tec, they are cheap to service, unlike a yamaha where when you let it sit for some months, carb kits are an arm and a leg, the cheapest is around a hundred bucks whereas an e tec can sit over the winter without having to go in for spring servicing.

All the parts Are way more expensive on a yamaha, this is what most people dont realize when they buy one. On an f200 you have to come in after ten hours and have the oil changed whereas an e tec 200 only needs service every 300 hours or 3 years.

In the end an e tec is always worth it
    Why would anybody want a Yamaha when there's an E-Tec?

BoatRacingFacts VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Default e tec

I know on the larger etecs (150 in particular) they have a lot of power, a whole lot, but again, if putting the 150 on say, a 700 pound 18 foot padded v, that already isn't handling the best due to a 4 inch set-back from a hydraulic jack, it isn't gonna help handling.

Also, though thye are light compared to the 4 strokes, an dmuch moree powerful, the entire realm of emission friendly highly electronic and complicated motors is scary. Good luck if you pull an old used etec from behind a shed in 20 years and think you can fire it up without dropping some serious coin, unlike an oldcarbureted but thirsty outboard. Also, the weight is, in my opinion really wacky on the 200 etec. They just can't be used without impacting handling on a light fast hull.

Thread Information