Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: vac fuel pumps

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default port pressure operated pumps

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kurcz View Post
    Ahh, I understand you now. If the engine efficiency is equivalent (lbs fuel/HP/hour), then the pump(s) must be up to the fuel delivery task. It/they must deliver X pressure and X flow to accomplish the target HP - agreed.

Are you aware the efficiency of the diaphram fuel pump is affected by port timing? Be aware a vacuum pulse diaphram fuel pump designed to run with stock porting may not deliver the same performance in a port modified engine. For this reason all new mod engines should be instrumented until pressure and flow is proven.
    Absolutely. And pressure as well as fuel flow increase with rpm. I am currently retrofitting two Merc double diaphragm pumps to my Force 4-cyl. One diaph. gets fed from a transfer port cover, the second diaph. from the tapped transfer port of another cylinder - sort of suck and blow (I figured). Each pump feeds its own twin throat OMC carb. I think plumbing both pumps into one manifold might lead to the pumps "hunting" i.e. the pressure pulses may double in intensity or cancel themselves out. What do you think?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fuel manifold

Hey Wolfgang,

You raise a good question about the possibility of pulse cancellation with alternating twin diaphram pumps. My guess is this is unlikely due to the baloon/dampening effect of rubber fuel hoses unless the lengths are perfectly the same.

My concern about independent fuel systems is if one goes south - you burn down a cylinder. Piping to a common manifold eliminates tuning issues and provide redundant supply.

Good luck with your project. Please post pics - sounds cool!

Tim

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kurcz View Post
    Hey Wolfgang,

You raise a good question about the possibility of pulse cancellation with alternating twin diaphram pumps. My guess is this is unlikely due to the baloon/dampening effect of rubber fuel hoses unless the lengths are perfectly the same.

My concern about independent fuel systems is if one goes south - you burn down a cylinder. Piping to a common manifold eliminates tuning issues and provide redundant supply.

Good luck with your project. Please post pics - sounds cool!

Tim
    thanks Tim - on the strength of your experience I will install a manifold.

Thread Information