Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Utility Racer? Looking for info

Team Member

Question Old Utility Racer? Looking for info

Hello,
    I recently acquired this boat and am looking for an age estimate and if any one can tell me any history about it. It is 13 feet long 4' 3" wide at the transom and the number on it was 36-N. I have it mostly sanded down and am going to refinish soon. but would love to know who's it was what it was raced in and how old it is. It is from the Albany NY area.
    Thanks

Any info Greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

I think it may be the Fisk suggested on screamandfly.

I am pretty certain it is NOT a Speedliner. I do not remember seeing a Speedliner without spray rails; your boat does not have spray rails, nor any evidence they were removed. Also think the chine is different from all Speedliner pics I have.

Looks like the transom was once much higher and was cut down (cup marks at the very top) and the transom clamp stain on the outside of the transom looks like pre-war OMC design. Definitely not a boat for a Merc with a Quicksilver lower unit.

Bunch-o-crap info on the screamandfly thread as well

N specifically indicates the owner was from New York, not a class, nor Northern region. The dual cockpit and OMC stain both probably make it much too old for 36 class.

If I'm right, just about all of the old marathon races required the boats to have 3 designations, the location letter, number and class letter. Lack of a class letter probably points to smaller heat races over marathons.

My guess on the age agrees with the guy on screamandfly, very late 1940's or very early 1950's.

The motor was probably a Johnson or Evinrude; 30 or 40 cubic inches (a regular fishing motor, not a racer). I think the boat would have had to be bigger for 50 or 60 cubic inches and required a 3rd cockpit.
    Last edited by Mark75H; 05-16-2011 at 07:49 PM.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member

It also looks like something as mounted in the rear cockpit that could have been the steering.

Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonM50 View Post
    It also looks like something as mounted in the rear cockpit that could have been the steering.
    It would have been the Dash and steering wheel that was moved to the front.
    - Craig "Dew"
    Flyer Race Boats

Team Member

Probably a pleasure boater thought the bow rode too high or porpoised as it likely would with a fishing motor & no speed. Nice restoration, would be cool with a motor from its era.

Default Boat

Looks like the horse in the stall behind the boat is interesed also. I bought my first race boat in 1959 from George Smith just north of Troy NY. I agree, the steering was located in the aft cockpit and I also agree it does not look like a Speedliner.
    David
    Old Race Boats Still Flip You Out

Team Member

Default Thanks for the input.

I would love any info on who used to race this if any one has some. It is definately not a speedliner I would agree from my looking around the net. The transom seems to have been cut down but will be a pain to replace at the moment so I will run a short motor on it. I am in the process of putting the steering back in the rear cockpit. the floor has the cut out as does the dash for the wheel mount dash.. Does any one have a picture or link to a picture of a Fisk? I think its a production boat having it has 0503 stamped in the transom. I am in the process of sanding it all down to repaint and varnish so it should be seaworthy soon.. some parts will be new and will need to age to match some..
    Thanks all.

Team Member

Default Re: old utility racer

Could be a Thompson,,,,,As previously mentioned, numbers burned into the hull looks like "factory built". Thompson made utilities in the mid 50's,,,,, take a look at the cover of the December 1955 issue of Boat Sport magazine at boatsport.org

http://boatsport.org/BSV45/cover.jpg

Team Member

I agree that it looks "factory Built" and thats really close looking! but I think the bow is broader top to bottom on mine.. I love all the arrow shaped trim it has, just fun.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar

Default Utility

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hatch View Post
    Could be a Thompson,,,,,As previously mentioned, numbers burned into the hull looks like "factory built". Thompson made utilities in the mid 50's,,,,, take a look at the cover of the December 1955 issue of Boat Sport magazine at boatsport.org

http://boatsport.org/BSV45/cover.jpg
    Ed,

That's what I was thinking or a Barbour, but I don't believe the Barbour was plywood, rather strip buily. I'd have to check Speltz's book.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information