Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: sst45 lower on a 3 cyl omc???

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default sst45 lower on a 3 cyl omc???

I've got an early 80's non-capsule 12'8" sst type boat and a 1971 Evinrude 60hp 3 cyl that I want to use on it. The bullet diameter is huge as it is one of the electric shift models. I assume that the gearcase may cause handling problems and certainly don't want to have to run it low enough to feed the high water pickups. I am considering putting a low water pickup nosecone on and keeping this lower unit although I think that an sst45 type lower unit would be ideal. I also assume that the sst45 lower units are non-shiftable and I don't think that this will be a big problem for me as I would think that the additional mph would be worth the tradeoff. What does everyone think about my two options?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 45SS gearcase

Not sure if you'll go fast enough with a 60 to have handling problems, but if you don't mind a direct drive, the 45SS case should bolt to your tower. You'll need an upper driveshaft cut and squared to fit, and may have to make another water tube, so you've got work to do. My OMC triple mod engines deliver 100HP crankshaft +/- and are reliable on a 13' three point (200# +/-) so durability should be good if your boat isn't too heavy. Plenty of props are available from 45SST. Sounds like fun! Good luck,

Tim
    Last edited by Tim Kurcz; 05-23-2011 at 05:12 PM. Reason: More info

Thread Information