Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tommy Bartlett

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tommy Bartlett

http://www.tommybartlett.com/

You may remember the Tommy Bartlett ski shows of the past 60s held in Wisconsin Dells. I just purchased one of his original hydrodyne ski boats on a hydrodyne trailer. It was formerly powered by a couple of tower of powers with full duel instrumentation, tachs, speedos, water pres. etc. I am planning on restoring this "treasure" and in need of a couple of matched in line sixes (running condition only) Some of you who are familiar with the show may remember Gary Jermaine. Gary skii'd on the Tommy Bartlett show and was the previous owner of this "treasure". He currently resides in Dubuque Iowa. I would like to talk to some one familiar with the Hydrodyne boats of this era. The one I have is complete with a "tall" ski rope hook-up and a "guard" to keep the ski ropes clear of the engines. My question has to do with the bow weight--it sure seems heavy on the bow. Is a rig like this in very nice condition worth anything to anyone? Rod
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 11-11-2014 at 09:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the Hydrodyne hulls are still quite popular with water ski clubs. In my area, we have the Backwater Gamblers water ski team. A good friend of mine is a driver for the team. They use the Hydrodyne hulls powered by twin V-6 outboards. The Backwater Gamblers are the current world record holders for the most skiers "Around the boat" stunt. Using the Hydrodyne hull of course.
    http://www.backwatergamblers.com/Home.aspx
    You might start asking for information at your local ski club.
    Jeff Yungen

Post Thanks / Like

Pics of the Tommy Bartlett Hydrodyne with a small 65 hp engine,. It originally had a pair of inlines. I intend to jerk the 65 off and start rebuilding from there. The boat is so heavy, I can't believe it! maybe that is what the skiiers need to offset their weight. I would sure like to hear from someone in the water ski club as to their knowledge of the Hydrodyne boats.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Capnzee:

Later posts suggest that you sold the Hydrodyne 18 but still wanted to chime in. Your boat in the water looks extremely bow heavy and if it had twins on the transom prior to your ownership, it probably as a bunch of lead shot in the bow as ballist to keep it level when it was coming up on a plane (obviousely not necessary with a 65 hp).

Another cause could be that the balsa core has taken on water which was common with the non-endgrain balsa, pre-1972 hulls, especially if they are left to weather. Hope the next guy gets it sorted out. I've owned three of these (a 1973, 1975 18 footers and currently a HD 1985 20 I/O) and have delt with several repair issues. Attached is a link to the restoration of my Hydrodyne 20 I/O. They are great boats to drive and own.

http://www.hydrodyners.com/forum/ind...toration.1673/

Take care,

Kevin-

Thread Information