Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1956 Hal Kelly Jupiter 10 with Merc Mark 30 H

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 1956 Hal Kelly Jupiter 10 with Merc Mark 30 H

Just about finished. Clear coat and hardware next, and finally, a nice freshly rebuilt Merc Mark 30 H by Dave Scott in Ottawa Ont. Should be a very interesting combo.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jupiter

Hello Mark,

Very nice job. Just be careful with the 30-H on your Jupiter. Even though the plans say that the weight of the motor is more important than the HP, a 30-H is right at the limit at 110 pounds. The Ben-Hur would be safer for a 4 cylinder motor. The 30-H has a higher center of gravity and the Jupiter is narrower than a Ben-Hur.

Again, very good job and good luck and be safe... wear a helmet and life jacket.
    Dean Hobart

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jupiter

Nice job and interesting paint.
    Is the bottom painted or clear?
    What does it weigh?
    Did you use Okume plywood and spruce?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jupiter and Mark 30H

The bottom of the Jupiter will have a super slippery epoxy based paint from International paints originally intended to offer a 9% fuel savings on ocean going freighters, which I'm getting for free. Good thing, as it runs $500 a gallon.
    Regarding the Mark 30H, your point sir is well taken, and it is clear to me, regarding your weight to hp comment, that you've either built a Jupiter, or read over the plan sheet most carefully. Our feeling here, is that the 30H will weigh in at 98 to 100 lbs.and I weigh 160 lbs. So, I too believe that caution will be required. I have also recently acquired a 1996 Bezoats with a 1961 Mark 50 Merc. Looking at the two hydros side by side, it is very interesting to observe 40 years of hydroplane evolution, and also, how small the Hal kelly Jupiter at 118" looks besides the 11' 4" Bezoats, which perhaps, would have a bit more in common with the Ben Hur you mentioned, and which, incidentally, I also have plans for, and an interest in building. Thank you for your input.
    Mark

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Plywood and safety gear

Yes, I did use Okume and spruce. The ultra smooth finish was the result of grain filling with an very thin layer of polyester putty,sanded right back down flush to the plywood, and then painted with black acrylic enamel base coat. The graphics were done in oil based graffiti paint from Spain by a good friend, and will be finished off with drop shadows, and sevveral spar varnish clear coats.
    I chose to build the Hal Kelly because it looked like a beautiful boat, which having built her, for sure it is. Not surprising to learn that Kelly was also a graphic artist for did work for Popular Mechanics, because he certainly knew how to loft a mighty sweet line on a boat!
    Since then, my understanding of hydro planes has come a long way, and clearly has a very long way to go. Still, it is a grand adventure!
    Mark

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hal Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    Yes, I did use Okume and spruce. The ultra smooth finish was the result of grain filling with an very thin layer of polyester putty,sanded right back down flush to the plywood, and then painted with black acrylic enamel base coat. The graphics were done in oil based graffiti paint from Spain by a good friend, and will be finished off with drop shadows, and sevveral spar varnish clear coats.
    I chose to build the Hal Kelly because it looked like a beautiful boat, which having built her, for sure it is. Not surprising to learn that Kelly was also a graphic artist for did work for Popular Mechanics, because he certainly knew how to loft a mighty sweet line on a boat!
    Since then, my understanding of hydro planes has come a long way, and clearly has a very long way to go. Still, it is a grand adventure!
    Mark
    Yes he did all his plans & sold them to Fawcett Publications/Mechanics Illustrated. I think that he had some kind of relative at Fawcett. See the pictures as Fawcett owned "Paint a PLayer" advertised on the side of his trailer. Hal, my dad & I went to the 1954 Stock Outboard Nationals wher I finished 4th in BSH. Thus the picture as we didn't trailer together all that season.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hal Kelly

To All,

Because of Hal Kelly, many, many new boat racers were able to get into boat racing by
    building their own boat at a savings, so they could then buy a racing motor. And, he kept improving the designs as years went by.

And, actually this fact is still true, that you can build your own boat at a savings so you can afford to buy a motor.

That's the way I did it, although my first boat was a Karelsen Hydro kit, that I bought and
    built in 1960.

Good Luck.
    Dean Hobart

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trophies

Quote Originally Posted by John Schubert T*A*R*T View Post
    Yes he did all his plans & sold them to Fawcett Publications/Mechanics Illustrated. I think that he had some kind of relative at Fawcett. See the pictures as Fawcett owned "Paint a PLayer" advertised on the side of his trailer. Hal, my dad & I went to the 1954 Stock Outboard Nationals wher I finished 4th in BSH. Thus the picture as we didn't trailer together all that season.
    John,

That's a lot of trophies..... Wow.
    Dean Hobart

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hal Kelly's Plans,,,,,Bergenfield, NJ.

Here are a few of Kelly's plans

http://boatsport.org/kelly.html

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    Just about finished. Clear coat and hardware next, and finally, a nice freshly rebuilt Merc Mark 30 H by Dave Scott in Ottawa Ont. Should be a very interesting combo.
    did you have pictures of fully rigged boat?

Thread Information