Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 60 EFI FORMULARACE from Mercury Marine

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

maybe drop the weight for 12v and then 24v stays at class min ?
    need incentive to change

Post Thanks / Like

this may be a bit off topic but,has anyone lost a prop and propshaft with the new 60 4stroke mercs? the reason I ask I no a few people including myself that have had the propshaft snap loosing the prop...only on the 2 stroke motors.
    there seems to be a fault with the weed cutter rear seal cutting a grove in the propshaft creating a weak point and the hole lot snaps off..
    it only dose it when you run max motor height with sufacing props.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ron mine was a safety rule any one looking to break my record I would suggest sticking with a safety rule it's like extra HP to getting shot down. Back to RJ I'm just spit balling here and I don't under stand the problem with going to 24 volt. But I do think if you go to 24 volt I know your engine will start better but you will also run 24 volt trim which will tax's the battery's, also you will be heating up the starter more with 24 -v- 12. I would think for a new guy to help with this is to change the rule of one nominal battery so you could run as many battery's as you wish to give you the cranking power you need and still have power for the trim. I think if I went threw the starters you guys are talking about I would pre prime my engine before cold starting it. That may help?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

when you have two batteries you have the choice of drawing from either the series linked 24 volt system or one of 12 volt batteries. It's not uncommon to have 12v. trim and 24v starting. 24v will be easier on the starter motor because the starter won't drag while trying to crank the motor. The engine should start much quicker and reduce the actual cranking time of the starter motor.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Lets not go backwards here Bob. Under the rules now, if I were running SST45 jacking the timing to the moon which it sounds like they are. I would get the most (cranking Amp) battery I could find and say the hell with the weight. Heat is what kills motors. I think we all know this. So I'm not going to list them. Lets debate about something else Bob this is boring. LOL

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Dave, not trying to debate - 24 volts spins the 12 volt starter twice as fast, which makes the engine crank at a much higher speed. That means the stator makes more electricity for the ignition system and the intake system delivers a fresh air/fuel charge to the combustion chamber quicker so the motor starts faster and you avoid low voltage, high resistance & amperage which is what creates heat. All that being said I have to admit I have never tried it on a 45 motor but the theory is the same as Merc V-6 engines which use the same 24 volt starting system we are talking about. The only problems with 24v on the Merc V-6 is when you let the batteries get low and try to crank it that's when it is tough on the starter. 12 or 24 volt, at a race when the boat is not racing it should be on a battery charger. When you hear a 45 motor that cranks normally it usually means it doesn't have any fire therefore the starter isn't fighting the high, fixed timing. If you listen to a 45 motor crank it always hesitates after making one revolution. 24volts will fix that problem.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

do we think racing would be cheaper if we all had 24 v starting?

Post Thanks / Like

Price for racing is a non issue for most of us. Saving money by not throwing a new starter on every other race is priceless IMO. We have had to add 65 lbs to my daughters boat and we are still cutting it close. We could use the extra weight and would be beneficial to us no matter the cost
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerabout View Post
    do we think racing would be cheaper if we all had 24 v starting?

Post Thanks / Like

Default FUNNY! I Talked To Ernie Dawe

Quote Originally Posted by Sport Rescue View Post
    Price for racing is a non issue for most of us. Saving money by not throwing a new starter on every other race is priceless IMO. We have had to add 65 lbs to my daughters boat and we are still cutting it close. We could use the extra weight and would be beneficial to us no matter the cost
    Ernie is against the 24 volt rule because he says an "extra" battery is expensive. I thought that was kind of funny, as I know over the past several years that Steven didn't make the start of 45 because of starter trouble. Now, he buys BRAND new ones..24 volts seems like a "NO BRAINER" to me! (I've had two sons racing 45 and now Marlee is racing 45....She missed the final at Long Beach and the qualifier at San Diego because of starter problems).

Post Thanks / Like

Not starting in the final and NOT receiving a check for a DNS outweighs the price of a battery 3 fold, IMO!!!!

Thread Information