Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 60 EFI FORMULARACE from Mercury Marine

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

We don't currently own any 45 stuff but someone should actually hook up a 24 v system on one and make another rule proposal to the OPC commission (assuming it works as well as I expect it to). Maybe the commission would be more sympathetic if they could hear from someone who has actually done it.

Post Thanks / Like

Bob, it's already been done. By myself and others I'm sure. But, you know how I feel about the commission and APBA. Others have presented the case and were quickly shot down. Do not think it would be any different today.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

just a word of caution for anyone thinking about installing a 24v system - remember that you must still run the engine wiring harness on 12volts and only run the heavy leads to the starter on 24volts. If you don't know how to do it, a volt meter will help you figure it out.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If you can't get the commission to approve it directly you can petition the drivers and have them vote on it. I just can't imagine that they wouldn't want it especially after someone who has actually tried it explains the benefits. I also think that any rule proposal should allow for the drivers choice of voltage for power trim. Some boats would really like 24 out coming off the turn ( and you could still run 12 in if you wanted to ).

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

does anybody run a series parallel switch so both batteries get charged?
    how about a later flywheel to get the larger charging system?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Marlee Hill Will Sign The Petition

Quote Originally Posted by TXBOATSHOP View Post
    If you can't get the commission to approve it directly you can petition the drivers and have them vote on it. I just can't imagine that they wouldn't want it especially after someone who has actually tried it explains the benefits. I also think that any rule proposal should allow for the drivers choice of voltage for power trim. Some boats would really like 24 out coming off the turn ( and you could still run 12 in if you wanted to ).
    If Marlee races 45 this year, I will own a piece of her equipment......and I don't like buying starters.

As far as charging systems go, I don't think we have a charging system in a 45....

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

45 has a 4 amp system and the later 2 cylinder engines have a 10 amp but different flywheel, stator and sensor.
    Not sure if the will retro fit but will find out as I just bought a new style powerhead

Perhaps we need to make a custom stator to try for some more power?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I will propose this change to the OPC Commission for 2014 - not sure if I will have anymore success - but having supported the class for so many years and have never really been involved - I have some personal experience to feed off of - with my son racing the class for the first year. My proposal will include:

1. First day ever testing my kid wore out a battery because for beginners the motor is difficult to start cold on 12V.
    2. I have now been at the boat ramp and seen several racers not get to the start dock because the motor would not "Turn Up" to start.
    3. It is true that you run through starters if you racing this class - my kid had a new starter on his motor at every race - because I can - but lets make this class affordable.
    4. Every other class in OPC has 24 V start OK.

I'll give it my best shot because it needs to be changed.

Thanks,

Greg Jacobsen

Post Thanks / Like

Default 24 v & hit start button then turn ignition on

I have seen 45 starter mount bosses break of the engine case from runnin 27 deg BTDC timing.
    The 45 OPC class eats starters since getting to first bouy is important!

There are several work arounds to this and here they are:

1- 24V System as we all know will almost get the boat up on plane by itself. especially if you run alot of Current on a starter rewound to handle 24 V & high current draw. (not supposed to do those kind of things in OPC but it's racing)

2- The original 45 ss had provisions for a second ignition trigger for starting. to enable rope starting
    It did not have as much timinig as the triiger used to run on. a switch was used to by driver after engine was
    started.

3- Momentary Pushbutton swith for the starter and a toogle switch adjacent to pusbutton. Turn on the ignition a half second after starter is engauged to keep engine from backfiring and blowing starter off the side of the engine.

MSD ignition has a feature that does the same thing "some of the watercraft run as much as 34 deg initial timinig to get off the beach. need that feature to pevent backfire at starting.
    ANTHONY McCULLOCH
    modifiedoutboard@hotmail.com

Some things never change!

They Want it cheap..............

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What argument could the OPC use to NOT change the rule?

If we allow more compression then you would run less timing, is that the lesser of 2 evils?
    I guess if you crank without ignition then the more advance is the better solution as you cant make compression go away

Thread Information