Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 60 EFI FORMULARACE from Mercury Marine

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

A couple of thoughts -
    1.) I really think it would help sell the 24 volt proposal to the drivers/commission if someone actually rigged it up, experimented with it and wrote a little report to go with the proposal. It really is the only way to ensure that it is as good as we expect it to be.
    2.) I would probably not include the parts change to gain additional charging capacity - just too much change all at once for the commission. I also suspect that most drivers would not do it due to the cost and the fact that it draws more horsepower from the engine to support the additional charging. The commission has traditionally resisted engine modifications for the class and these parts are engine mods whereas the 24 volt battery change really is not.
    3.) I also can't stress enough how important 'battery management' is in any race boat - always have a complete charge in your battery/batteries when you launch the boat and minimize the stopping/starting when lining up or milling.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=taffy97;134775]
    Quote Originally Posted by fs5 View Post
    I see a lot of guys on here talkin about omc stuff ,any of you guys with the 4 stroke mercs lose a prop shaft yet???
    they run run the same weed cutter seal as the 2 strokes.[/QUOTe

We had a guy at our club with an F4S lose one earlier in the year. but this had been accidentally dropped into gear at high revs a couple of times !!
    Sounds like your mate needs a SST45

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TXBOATSHOP View Post
    A couple of thoughts -
    1.) I really think it would help sell the 24 volt proposal to the drivers/commission if someone actually rigged it up, experimented with it and wrote a little report to go with the proposal. It really is the only way to ensure that it is as good as we expect it to be.
    2.) I would probably not include the parts change to gain additional charging capacity - just too much change all at once for the commission. I also suspect that most drivers would not do it due to the cost and the fact that it draws more horsepower from the engine to support the additional charging. The commission has traditionally resisted engine modifications for the class and these parts are engine mods whereas the 24 volt battery change really is not.
    3.) I also can't stress enough how important 'battery management' is in any race boat - always have a complete charge in your battery/batteries when you launch the boat and minimize the stopping/starting when lining up or milling.
    agreed
    simplest cheapest easiest are the best changes AND should be driven by 45 class racers voting

Post Thanks / Like

I am on the commission and I want to make sure I understand this correctly. You want to allow a 24 volt starting system on a 45 because you run the timing more advanced than the factory recommended specs and it is causing the starter to fail prematurly and is breaking the bosses off of the block because the engine is kicking back because of the advanced timing?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jerry book View Post
    I am on the commission and I want to make sure I understand this correctly. You want to allow a 24 volt starting system on a 45 because you run the timing more advanced than the factory recommended specs and it is causing the starter to fail prematurly and is breaking the bosses off of the block because the engine is kicking back because of the advanced timing?
    Not really ( its possible but its not the main issue) , the engine has a 4 amp charging system and the class has trim therefore there is no chance to recharge the battery during a race let alone to restart.
    As its a 2 cylinder its tough on the starter anyway, converting to 24v allows several low voltage starts. You buy a 2nd battery once which saves you from having to buy a new starter for each event that has been trashed from low voltage cranking.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Powerabout View Post
    Not really, the engine has a 4 amp charging system and the class has trim therefore there is no chance to recharge the battery during a race let alone to restart.
    As its a 2 cylinder its tough on the starter anyway, converting to 24v allows several low voltage starts. You buy a 2nd battery once which saves you from having to buy a new starter for each event that has been trashed from low voltage cranking.
    Well said!
    Bob, Haley and I plan on testing this winter quite a bit. Will be glad to test this seeing how we already have the setup. I'll give someone who is APBA friendly the info to be reported to the commission. You already know my wiring capabilities and no one has to provide me parts. I only ask one thing...need more boats to go testing. How 'bout it 45 drivers?

Post Thanks / Like

Although, I know most drivers will support this. For the ones that do not, make it an option with out affecting weight minimums. Just a thought...

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The rule in most class's reads (can change engine wiring to allow 24- volt starting system.) that gives you the option.

Post Thanks / Like

When I ran 45's, I never had an issue starting. I had a great battery and it was always charged. If it does not start within a few tries, there is other problems. More volts isnt gonna solve that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sport Rescue View Post
    Well said!
    Bob, Haley and I plan on testing this winter quite a bit. Will be glad to test this seeing how we already have the setup. I'll give someone who is APBA friendly the info to be reported to the commission. You already know my wiring capabilities and no one has to provide me parts. I only ask one thing...need more boats to go testing. How 'bout it 45 drivers?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Scott,
    Some people don't have a problem and others do, this proposed rule change (24v) will give you an option without penalizing anyone with weight, etc. I am sure that engine setup is a factor here - compression, timing, fuel, or whatever. I also would speculate that some 45 guys probably have re-wound starters for 6 or 8 volts which is really no different than using 24 volts on a 12 volt starter and is illegal but practically impossible to get caught. If you were as old as me you would remember cars with 6 volt electrical systems that were practically impossible to start so people would put 8 volt batteries in them to get faster cranking speed to solve the problem.

Thread Information